PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Ubuntu 8.04 LTS change ?

pacman5
December 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Is an .iso file of Ubuntu 8.04 downloaded yesterday identical with one downloaded in November 2008 or are the distros continually updated ?

Paddy

sliketymo
December 22nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Continually updated.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Not continually updated per se... a new iso is released every 6 months. Currently we are at 8.04.3. 8.04.4 will be coming soon.

By using the newest iso, you save yourself from downloading a lot of upgrades after installing. Other than that, there's no real advantage; the end result is the same.

Mighty_Joe
December 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Snowpine covered it

phillw
December 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Not continually updated per se... a new iso is released every 6 months. Currently we are at 8.04.3. 8.04.4 will be coming soon.

By using the newest iso, you save yourself from downloading a lot of upgrades after installing. Other than that, there's no real advantage; the end result is the same.

+1

I understand that 8.04.4 will be the one to ready the 8.04 LTS --> 10.04 LTS transfer, testing of that is due round Feb. 2010.

Phill.

pacman5
December 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks to you all for these rapid and clear replies.

I'm installing Ubuntu for someone who won't be able to do their own maintenance and repair so decided that 8.04 LTS would have the best chances of stability and bug-freedom.

At the weekend I tried to set them up with 9.10 but just ended up with a full day's GRUB-grief with neither Ubuntu nor their previous Windows system booting. Wiped their HDD, restored their Windows system from an image I had wisely (hem, hem) made that morning, and now it's start again with 8.04.

Paddy

phillw
December 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks to you all for these rapid and clear replies.

I'm installing Ubuntu for someone who won't be able to do their own maintenance and repair so decided that 8.04 LTS would have the best chances of stability and bug-freedom.

At the weekend I tried to set them up with 9.10 but just ended up with a full day's GRUB-grief with neither Ubuntu nor their previous Windows system booting. Wiped their HDD, restored their Windows system from an image I had wisely (hem, hem) made that morning, and now it's start again with 8.04.

Paddy

You're welcome. Yeah, if 8.04 is good for the kit, go with it. It still has 2 or 3 years 'life' of full updates left on it. Later on, once the dust settles you can always do 8.04 --> 10.04 LTS update - but 10.04 alpha1 is NOT for a production environment yet !!

Phill.