PDA

View Full Version : OSGUI Open Source Video Sharing site alternative to YouTube

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hello all Ubuntu Users...

This is a invitation to you all to join the Open Source Linux Community of Video Makers on www.OSGUI.com where anybody can watch hundreds (and growing everyday) of interesting and unique videos about Ubuntu Linux, Linux Mint, and other matters related to Open Source Software...

OSGUI.com has been around for almost 3 years but has only been recently upgraded with the help of some Open Source developers to have the most capabilities of YouTube and Facebook type sites with Video Sharing, Social Networking, & Community support forums and chat.

We have a dozen other Open Source YouTubers with their channels of videos featured on OSGUI.com

Exodist
December 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Kewl. I bookmarked it. Will check it out.. Many thanks.

- Exo

AllRadioisDead
December 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
What's wrong with youtube?
All you have is a joomla site with a bunch of linux youtube videos, I don't see any reason to bother with it.

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
What's wrong with youtube?
All you have is a joomla site with a bunch of linux youtube videos, I don't see any reason to bother with it.

1. Nothing much wrong with YouTube other than its 10 minute limit
2. OSGUI just shares Linux related videos from many Video Hosting sites like YouTube and Blip.tv & Google Video
3. we have full length Documentaries on Linux like The Code Linux
4. we have recordings of Linux User Group meetings and other Open Source / Linux / Ubuntu videos that go longer than 10 minutes so you will never find those on YouTube
5. yes searching Google Video is better, but the point of OSGUI is to create a united community working to produce and share with each other high quality videos of all kinds that could come from anywhere else on the web, a central nexus of co-operative Video Bloggers and Screencasters.
6. OSGUI is more than just video sharing, it also has Forums, IRC Chat, Polls, hundreds of original Articles, reviews, editorials, downloads section, marketplace, social networking, photo/image sharing gallery, and more...

It's an attempt to bring together the communities of all Linux Distros that enjoy videos or just want help

lovinglinux
December 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Nice. I will check it out. I suppose I can host my Firefox extension video tutorials there right?

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
1. Nothing much wrong with YouTube other than its 10 minute limit

10 minute limit? i'm looking at a 50 min. documentary right now.

lovinglinux
December 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
10 minute limit? i'm looking at a 50 min. documentary right now.

I guess partners can upload longer videos.

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Nice. I will check it out. I suppose I can host my Firefox extension video tutorials there right?

Yeah You can share them on the site... it's not yet on a big enough server to host the videos uploaded to it, I hope to let users do that in the future.

For now you can post the videos you have made which would be hosted on sites like blip.tv and youtube

lovinglinux
December 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM

Turns out I can't. The site is just a wrapper using Joomla+Community Builder and an embedding video extension, so the videos must be uploaded somewhere else.

Edit: didn't see the previous post

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
For a short time YouTube gave some Partners the ability to upload videos longer than 10 minutes, no longer though, so it's only a few like Jupiter

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Turns out I can't. The site is just a wrapper using Joomla+Community Builder and an embedding video extension, so the videos must be uploaded somewhere else.

Edit: didn't see the previous post

grow up, your site looks worse so neer

lovinglinux
December 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
grow up, your site looks worse so neer

I didn't say your site was bad, I just said it's a wrapper. BTW, I love Joomla. So why are you so nervous?

DeadSuperHero
December 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Is it an alternative to YouTube if it's based on it?

I think not.

Bölvağur
December 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
I was thinking it was some one asking for a list of video websites that base on html5 instead of flash.

HUGE disappointment.

I'd upload all my tutorials on there the second it is html5

Frak
December 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I guess partners can upload longer videos.
People like me have been YouTube members since before the Google Takeover, so we fall under the 1 hour grandfather clause. You can also request permits from the YouTube staff to upload more than 10 minutes.

tim1980
December 22nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Is it an alternative to YouTube if it's based on it?

I think not.

it's not based on YouTube

I could and might drop youtube since that site is dying

it is a fully featured modern and flexible Video Sharing site, it can host the videos if i flick a switch and turn that on, but I have it on a 30GB account and would need to upgrade first with my web host

it is on a clustered linux server

i can change anything i want about it including the video embed player to not be youtube and to be the sites own and i think i can get a html5 one

it currently allows embeding and sharing of videos hosted from many other servers like blip.tv which is better than youtube

however, 60% of net users do not have a HTML5 capable browser so to use that for the video player is dumb right now but ill look into making it an option or switching to it soon

thanks for your feedback i will work towards implementing fixes for your complaints

Bölvağur
December 23rd, 2009, 12:34 AM
i
however, 60% of net users do not have a HTML5 capable browser so to use that for the video player is dumb right now but ill look into making it an option or switching to it soon

60% of net users are not part of your target audience.

juancarlospaco
December 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
P H P M O T I O N !!!
:) dont forget it...

Qola
December 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
If it's an alternative, why are all of your videos just embeds from........YouTube?

tim1980
December 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
If it's an alternative, why are all of your videos just embeds from........YouTube?

your wrong, more than half my videos are hosted from Blip.tv

how is phpmotion better than what i have made? its not, its equal in technology php and flash

Qola
December 23rd, 2009, 01:32 AM
your wrong, more than half my videos are hosted from Blip.tv

how is phpmotion better than what i have made? its not, its equal in technology php and flash

Sorry, but there are 100s of sites that just embed other sites videos and claim to be an alternate. The layout is ugly and badly designed. I won't be using your site over YouTube anytime soon.

BAMF1501
December 23rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
One they have HTML5 It will be nice ":)

tim1980
December 23rd, 2009, 03:11 AM
is this forum only full of children?

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 03:14 AM
is this forum only full of children?
Now I'm less likely to take you seriously.

EDIT
But that may be true.

tim1980
December 23rd, 2009, 03:46 AM
sorry man im just getting sick of kids telling me that they can do a better job

AllRadioisDead
December 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
I am a kid and I can do a better job.
All you did was make a joomla site, find an overused theme, and embed a bunch of videos from other sites. You're telling us to grow up when you're the one insulting anyone that says anything negative about your site instead of responding to it maturely. The way I see it, we're not the ones that need to grow up.

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
I am a kid and I can do a better job.
All you did was make a joomla site, find an overused theme, and embed a bunch of videos from other sites. You're telling us to grow up when you're the one insulting anyone that says anything negative about your site instead of responding to it maturely. The way I see it, we're not the ones that need to grow up.

+1

There's a difference between using a wrapper to aggregate videos from various video sites, and actually offering an html5 alternative.

Also, OSGUI just doesn't roll of the tongue for a social media based video sharing site for FOSS. It just doesn't. You're not creating an identi.ca here (proportionally), you're just piggybacking off of other people's work, and proprietary software. This is hypocritical and goes against the very spirit of Free Software.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Nice. Bookmarked it. Thanks!

scottuss
December 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM

But, what if they can?

I'm 22 and run my own company. I get sick of older people telling me they can do a better job. A lot of the time, they can't.

It works both ways!

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but your posts could easily offend people (they didn't so much offend me, just annoy me slightly. Age does NOT always equal valuable experience)

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm 22 and run my own company. I get sick of older people telling me they can do a better job. A lot of the time, they can't.

This.

pwnst*r
December 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
a good read.

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
a good read.
aye, mate

tim1980
December 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM
+1

There's a difference between using a wrapper to aggregate videos from various video sites, and actually offering an html5 alternative.

Also, OSGUI just doesn't roll of the tongue for a social media based video sharing site for FOSS. It just doesn't. You're not creating an identi.ca here (proportionally), you're just piggybacking off of other people's work, and proprietary software. This is hypocritical and goes against the very spirit of Free Software.

im not using any wrappers

html5 is not ready for mass use yet it still has issues, if not youtube would have switched it it, when it is ready youtube and everyone will switch

OSGUI sounds awesome, the name rolls off the tongue, i don't care what you have to say because your not as smart as me

I am creating whatever I want, you don't want to be part of it and that is fine, your loose.

90% of everything on the site is created by me, im not piggybacking on anyone elses work

I have one of the most populer open source youtube channels, and its my second, i have made over 200 videos since I started

theer is NO proprietary software used in the creation or running of the OSGUi.com website or the OSGUI Tech Show episodes

Your just wrong about everything because your jealous as you wish you could make a site as nice as OSGUI.com I feel sorry for you

Frak
December 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM
html5 is not ready for mass use yet it still has issues, if not youtube would have switched it it

Youtube won't switch to it for many reasons. Mainly, IE doesn't have support for <video>. Secondly, Flash can do more than <video> + javascript can. HTML5 would ruin their ad market.

Your just wrong about everything because your jealous as you wish you could make a site as nice as OSGUI.com I feel sorry for you

To keep the last little bit of respect I had for you, I'll act like I didn't read this.

tim1980
December 24th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Yes well thats not directed to you as you have been more mature

cariboo
December 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I really think this thread has run it's course. It is starting to degenerate into a flame fest. This thread is closed.