PDA

View Full Version : Best Alternative Rock Bands of 2009, List Your Suggestions!

Exodist
December 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have spent the past 4 days re-ripping my CD collection and cleaning up my music archive. But it still feels bare. I thought I would suggest some great Alternative Rock Artist and others could do the same.

- The Bravery
- Franz Ferdinand
- Jet
- Muse
- Saving Abel
- The New Regime

I would like to add these artist from suggestions in this thread:
- Coldplay
- Cage the Elephant
- The Killers

Cheers,
Exo:guitar:

amitabhishek
December 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Sorry for hijacking but apparently there is no hope in today's music:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1326731

Exodist
December 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Sorry for hijacking but apparently there is no hope in today's music:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1326731
This isnt the complaint department. Only sunshine and clear skies on this thread please.
If you have a band to post please do. :KS

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've been unimpressed by music this year (well apart from the band i saw playing the guitar with a bear can), but maybe i just haven't listend to enough new stuff, i gave up on the radio entirely.

Muses new album was a bit too musical, i mean it's good but i would like some more vocals and guitar, but that's just me i still see it as musically a great album just less interested in it personally.
Franz Ferdinand - always good but also a bit generic
Jet - more meh (on the good side of meh but never stood out to me)
Not saying It's been a bad year just nothing really sticks out (well prodigy but they arn't really alt. rock)

Any suggestions for stuff to check out? New bands, new albums by old bands? lastfm profile? I've recently got really into radiohead but they aren't exactly new.

madnessjack
December 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Biffy Clyro

Google it :P

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Biffy Clyro

Google it :P
meh seen them live a few times, i think ill pass on the google :P Good band but is their new album any good? i thought mountains (got a lot of radio play), was alright but nothing amazing, not as good as puzzle anyway.

ps their rage acoustic set at redding 08 FTW.

madnessjack
December 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
meh seen them live a few times, i think ill pass on the google :P Good band but is their new album any good? i thought mountains (got a lot of radio play), was alright but nothing amazing, not as good as puzzle anyway.

ps their rage acoustic set at redding 08 FTW.

They've done a Sierra "Love Sex and Magic" acoustic cover too (it's up on YouTube). Honestly never laughed so hard it my life it was that good.

The new album did it for me. It's very poppy and audible so most of the songs are 3 mins tops - in line with most pop music (whereas I usually like the experimental anti-music thing). But yeah, it probably wont blow your mind but it's worth a listen for sure.

nothingspecial
December 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
3 bands I`ve really enjoyed this year.

The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim/ The 59 Sound

Although they`ve released nothing in 2009 it was seeing them live that sparked my interest - they are now one of my all time top 10 favorite bands ever

Venerable Punk band NOFX - Cokie The Clown ep

I download the BBC Radio 1 punk show for listening to in the gym. All of a sudden this acoustic track came on - `My Orphan Year`. I ended up crying - in the gym surrounded by mussel bound hulks - kind of embarrasing to say the least.

The Living End - White Noise

Can`t remember where I got these from but any band that can get your wife singing the choruses, as she cooks dinner, the very first time she hears it, has got to be good. (Aslong as your wife has good taste that is)

nmccrina
December 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Here's the albums I've bought or am planning to buy from this last year:

U2 - No Line On the Horizon
Coldplay - Viva la Vida
Cage the Elephant - eponymous
The Killers - Day & Age
Porcupine Tree - The Incident

That's all I can think of...

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
For mainstream stuff, Metric. Check out the album Fantasies. They're one of the slim few mainstream acts I like.

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
For mainstream stuff, Metric. Check out the album Fantasies. They're one of the slim few mainstream acts I like.
and for non-mainstream stuff? or would other people finding out stop them being cool :P

PuddingKnife
December 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
mars volta
muse
mastodon
animal collective

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
and for non-mainstream stuff? or would other people finding out stop them being cool :P

Those were all mainstream artists, so I recommended mainstream stuff, because it may appeal more to the OP.

Here's what I listen to: http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
thx, will steal your music at some point because i like what i see,
Sigur Rós are pretty good and quite mainstream i saw them a few years back but was far too baked, but i suppose i wouldn't really call them rock.

Giant Speck
December 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Anberlin

Georgia boy
December 22nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
I like the "Indie" groups. I got some good songs from Cnet's musicdownload.com and the site that they changed to. One of my favorites was Theory of a Deadman's "Say Goodbye". They have some great artists there that put up free songs for downloading. All legal. Sorry, mind just went blank when thinking of other groups that I got songs downloaded from at those sites. At work and can't remember what I have in my music file right now.

Tom

Exodist
December 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
Seen some pretty good suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming everyone and help poor souls against xmas music! :D

Aiello
December 23rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Radiohead. Not exactly "Best of 2009." but still awesome.

Exodist
December 23rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
Those were all mainstream artists, so I recommended mainstream stuff, because it may appeal more to the OP.

I pretty much listen to a lot of stuff.
I was looking for mainstream, but some of my favorite bands like Air, The Notwist and Zero7 are anything but mainstream.