PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Ububtu 9.10 boots to black screen

Doid
December 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Everything worked fine running off the installation CD, but after a seemingly flawless installation (dual boot with XP) if I choose normal boot it ends up at a black screen.

I have tried editing the boot settings in the Grub menu but can't get it to display error messages - however I may not be doing it right.

I was quite excited about installing Ubuntu but don't know where to go from here and would appreciate your expertise.
Many thanks

AMD Athlon 1.7Ghz
1.3 Gb RAM
15Gb HD allocated to Ubuntu
Graphics = ATI All-in-wonder 8500DV

brucewagner
December 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
I have the same problem.

After installing 9.10....

Video shows up on both my VGA monitor and my HDMI tv set.... no problem...

But.... once it goes to a WHITE UBUNUTU LOGO.... then, just after that... BOTH screens go blank / black.

It seems as if the OS is still running.... but the video shows only a black screen (a "black screen of death"? :)

What is the solution folks....?

THIS IS NOT GOOD! We intentionally waited 3 months before installing 9.10 to be sure the major kinks would be worked out by now... :(

Doid
December 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Strange, but I have tried many reboots with various temporary changes but nothing worked. I have been running off LiveCD for a couple of hours with no probs.

Then I rebooted without the CD and didn't even watch the screen. When I looked round it had booted correctly.
Bizarre! The strange thing is the inconsistency. I have not made any changes to any files.
I'm scared to reboot again in case it doesn't work!
Currently downloading updates....

Bryan Horton
January 12th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I am having very similar issues. Did you ever find a solution to this?