PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle browser cookies?

lovinglinux
December 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Please don't post that you use gloves to take them off the oven. This is about browser cookies. :)

I use CS Lite (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5207) extension for Firefox, which is really nice, although there are several options in the Mozilla add-on database.

Until recently I was blocking every cookie and only allowing those I needed to login. Nevertheless, sometimes this method has issues with some sites (very few) and I have to momentarily enable cookies globally.

Now I'm allowing all cookies and deleting them automatically when Firefox closes. This creates a new annoyance, since I have to manually login on each site I use frequently, like the ubuntu forums. Fortunately, the Secure Login extension allows to save bookmarks that enters the login info automatically, so this setup is working really nice.

So I was wondering how other community members handle cookies? Additionally, I would like to discuss possible threats with the "accept all" policy?

Edit: damn, I forgot to select the poll option. Is there a way to create one after posting?

hessiess
December 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Delete all when browser closes.

Xbehave
December 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Allow all, no 3rd party.

spupy
December 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
I delete cookies rarely. I hate having to log in.

handy
December 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
In Firefox, I accept all cookies, including 3rd party cookies.

I have Firefox ask my permission for each cookie, & automatically use the mouse to add them all permanently to the permanently blocked list.

I have to occasionally unblock a cookie for certain sites that I want to use that require them for use.

Once the above system has been in use for a while, you are only ever asked about a cookie when you go to a new site. I don't find it an imposition at all, it has become a habit really.

[Edit:] I also use Ghostery, it gets hopefully all of the trackers that get past Privoxy.

mkvnmtr
December 22nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Like handy I have the growser ask me about each cookie.I allow only the ones I have to allow like the Ubuntu Forum. Some silly news site does not need to put a cookie on my machine. I also disallow all Google cookies and all ad cookies. My Gmail comes through Thunderbird so the browser is not involved.

madnessjack
December 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Firefox CookieSwap, just for sessions.

Don't really care about privacy or the crap stored on my PC. I can handle it :P

megamania
December 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Accept all. Honestly, I don't care.

LookTJ
December 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Edit: damn, I forgot to select the poll option. Is there a way to create one after posting?
Yes, in thread tools I believe.

Also I use Ghostery to block trackers, other than that is the default cookies settings.

lovinglinux
December 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Yes, in thread tools I believe.

I feel so stupid :oops: Thanks. Poll created.

Also I use Ghostery to block trackers, other than that is the default cookies settings.

I also use Ghostery.

CharlesA
December 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
I eat cookies.

I don't think I've actually cleaned out my cookies folder at home in like ever. At work, it's set to delete everything after each browsing session.

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Delete all when the browser closes, with the exception of a few sites that I specify (ie. ones I want to automatically be logged into).

Kdar
December 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Cook them and eat :)

steve161
December 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
disallow third party cookies and clear all when FF closes. Also use better privacy for flash cookies. I browse to too many sites to have a default deny policy or have FF ask me every time.

Barrucadu
December 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Allow all, never delete.

LowSky
December 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Cook them and eat :)

That's what I was thinking

doas777
December 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I allow everything but delete it all at session end.

koleoptero
December 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hmmmm, cinammon cookies...

Tristam Green
December 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
with a silicon cookie-sheet glove.

sliketymo
December 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
ok,I admit it.I eat cookie dough!Accept all.Clean every so often just for the heck of it.

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I let it allow all, but every now and then I look through them all and clean it up a bit. Also I have a few sites blocked.

Eisenwinter
December 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Allow only for session. Delete all automatically when the browser closes.

ice60
December 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
i just checked and i allow only from the site i'm on (no 3rd party) and delete when the browser closes. if i want to accept cookies from a site i change the rule for that site.

maybe it would be better to accept 3rd party cookies and delete them when the browser closes. but, i haven't had any problems i can remember.

edit. every so often i check flash cookies too and delete a load, but i don't think i accept them now. i haven't had any flash problems either!

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
how do you handle cookies?

nom, nom, nom

handy
December 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
I also use Ghostery, it gets hopefully all of the trackers that get past Privoxy.

doorknob60
December 23rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
I eat them, yummy :)

RATM_Owns
December 23rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
I eat them. I eat them all.

Dr. C
December 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Regular cookies:
Allow for session and white list a few sites that are allowed to set persistent cookies for login / authentication.
Local Shared Objects or "Flash cookies":
Block. This is accomplished by setting the permissions in /home/<user>/.macromedia/Flash_Player and /home/<user>/.adobe/Flash_Player to read only

handy
December 23rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Local Shared Objects or "Flash cookies":
Block. This is accomplished by setting the permissions in /home/<user>/.macromedia/Flash_Player and /home/<user>/.adobe/Flash_Player to read only

Thanks for that idea. :)

Dr. C
December 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
There is also a Firefox plug in called Better Privacy to manage Flash cookies.

handy
December 23rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
There is also a Firefox plug in called Better Privacy to manage Flash cookies.

If I can do something without adding another add-on to Firefox I'd prefer to do it that way.

lexonew
December 24th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I do not allow Third Party Cookies. I also have Firefox 3.1.15 configured to clear All Personal Data, History, Cookies, etc, when I close the browser. Nothing stays.
I close Firefox a dozen or more times a day. I do not log into any forum unless I have something to say. No personal info is kept on my PC.

There is a downside. I will not use Firefox 3.5.5. If all data is cleared, it takes at least 40 seconds after I click on a URL to get the site. I have proved this a number of times.
I am using a 3.2g cpu machine with 2gb ram and Ubuntu 9.10 that runs very well.
With an older Ubuntu version and FF 3.0.15, this does not happen so I am sticking with the older version.
I tried a couple other distros that run FF 3.5.5, and the same delay occurs.
Firefox wants you to keep all data in the future. Beginning to sound like Google, aka, Microsoft.

Lexonew

#11u-max
December 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
i eat my cookies!

blueshiftoverwatch
December 24th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I automatically delete all cookies after each session.

lexonew
December 24th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Don't forget the cookies in the .macromedia folder.

Lexonew

pwnst*r
December 24th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Firefox wants you to keep all data in the future. Beginning to sound like Google, aka, Microsoft.

[SIZE=4]Lexonew

lol~!

mthei
December 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I eat them. Good with coffee.

Oh, you meant "browser cookies"...
I eat them.

With Opera, I don't allow any cookies by default, and only whitelist the four sites that I visit regularly that require me to log in.
I do the same with Firefox, but I have a few more sites whitelisted per session, including my gmail for the rare case when I log in to my webmail.

jimi_hendrix
December 24th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I eat mine.

Dr. C
December 24th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Don't forget the cookies in the .macromedia folder.

Lexonew

and the .adobe folder

t0p
December 24th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I block third party cookies. I accept all other cookies and "keep until they expire" - actually I go through the list every week or so and delete any I feel I don't need. I keep meaning to set up a stricter policy but haven't got round to it yet.

I also delete flash cookies whenever I think about it. I'm going to do it now.

EDIT: Well, I deleted a bunch of flash cookies from ~/.adobe and ~/.macromedia, and as I was in a housekeeping kinda mood I set up a better browser cookie policy. Now my browser only accepts cookies from a list of approved sites, generally sites that need cookies to log in or other functionality. Privacy FTW!!

Trent T
January 10th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Up to now, I have a kludgy, manual system--
At the end of each browsing session in Firefox, I delete the regular cookies;
About once or twice a week, I go to these directories via desktop shortcut:
/home/MyUserName/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/99XX9X9X

(where 99XX9X9X is a unique directory name generated by macromedia)

and

/home/MyUserName/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

If I find anything in these directories (where flash cookies live), I delete it.

It's a matter of clicking on two icons, Control A, then the Delete button to be sure I have no flash cookies.

--Trent T

PS-- Thanks to all for mentioning Ghostery, Privoxy, and Better Privacy-- I plan to try these out ASAP!

magmon
January 10th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I delete cookies rarely. I hate having to log in.

This