PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] copy os (bootable)

aksx
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
hey i am using ubuntu from my 4Gb usb.Now the space is running out and i want to shift it to my other 8Gb usb without loosing my settings or updates that i have downloaded. is it possible????
and also i have windows 7 on my pc is there any software which would help me do it.

thankx

medicalystoned
December 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
can't you just copy one to the other and see if it worked? i don't know why it wouldn't work to just transfer all files from one to the other.

aksx
December 22nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
i dont have Linux on the other usb drive, it is ntfs and with no data on it . i want to sort of clone my os to my new drive.and i m not terminal friendly....

medicalystoned
December 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
have u tried it? just don't erase the original usb drive. i don't really know and am curious. you have ubuntu on a removable usb stick correct? in theory your os goes with you and then can be used in any pc.... right?

aksx
December 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
yes it is on my removable usb and works seamlessly. (only some systems do not support compiz but works after driver update)

itang sanjana
December 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
can't you just copy one to the other and see if it worked? i don't know why it wouldn't work to just transfer all files from one to the other.

Yup, and perhaps you could use rsync to done the job. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/rsync

medicalystoned
December 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
ok first off, i am so jealous. i have always wanted to do that but one of the reasons i run linux is free..... i can't even afford a usb stick unless i got one for free..... any how, so just try transfering it all as one file from stick to the other.

sandy8925
December 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Even if you copied it over it might not work since there's no bootloader installed on the 2nd pendrive. It might work if you cloned it exactly though.

aksx
December 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
.@medicalystoned
thankx for the appreciation.
@sandy8925
so how would i install the boot loader????

medicalystoned
December 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Even if you copied it over it might not work since there's no bootloader installed on the 2nd pendrive. It might work if you cloned it exactly though.

so what does that mean exactly? is that "grub"? would that not follow with a full transfer of files? please excuse my ignorance on the subject..... peace

aksx
December 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
i dont know about Linux but i used bootsect.exe for windows 7 to make my usb bootable for installation so is there a similar command for this???

aksx
December 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
hey i tried to copy it but windows does not support ext3. how else am i supposed to copy it???

aksx
December 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
hey i tried partimage too but it didnt work for me ...
any other tool available please inform..

aksx
December 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Hey guys I have finally done it.(partimage didnot work well)
Ifirst I formatted the new USB and gave it the same partations
as the older one (3.5Gb primary, 220mb Swap)
the using terminal

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=512k
the bs is for byte size,it increased the speed.
It took 153.61seconds to complete.

Then unpluged the drive replugged it and from gparted
resized the primary partition to 7.8Gb.

At the end from teminal

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk /dev/sdc
which compleated it....