PDA

View Full Version : which laptop WOULD U BUY WITH 1300 US ¿?

monteagus
December 22nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH 1300 US dollars TO HAVE A KILLING LINUX LAPTOP¿?

WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT
- RAM OVER 2G
-GPU OVER 512mb
-wifi -bluethooth
-cd/dvd ...
-linux friendly hardware
-need compiz soo..
and obviously IT HAS TO WORK under LINUX

I would like it to dualboot with windows

cajual
December 22nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Easy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114743&cm_re=a505-_-34-114-743-_-Product

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114785&cm_re=toshiba-_-34-114-785-_-Product

Edit: $1000 USD will buy just about the best laptop you need for an amazing Linux setup. After $1000, it just becomes superfluous.

monteagus
December 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
CAJUAL how much mb does the NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS has dedicated?
not sure if its said like that...
just find it 1G

cajual
December 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
CAJUAL how much mb does the NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS has dedicated?
not sure if its said like that...
just find it 1G

From the specs:
Video Memory 1GB GDDR3

crimesaucer
December 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Here is a list I found for best to worst graphics cards: http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f84/laptop-graphics-cards-ranking-list-165525/

The GeForce 9800M GTS is in the Class 1 High End Graphics Cards.

For more detail about each card, then check out this page: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Graphic-Cards.130.0.html

The specs on that Qosmio look sick..... just too much red, why couldn't they have made a normal looking version with excellent specs like the Qosmio.

The other laptop (the Satellite) has a 5400rpm hard drive and a "Class 3 Low-Midrange Graphics Card" for graphics so those specs aren't as good as the Qosmio. But it does have more RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.8GHz. (and it looks like a normal laptop)

schauerlich
December 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM
A killing laptop? All you need is a steak knife and some duct tape... instant lethal mobile computer!

Presto123
December 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
I was gonna say that the second computer posted by Cajual couldn't be THAT red, but, ya IT IS TOO RED! lol

I like the specs on the first computer posted, that's a "sleeper" lappy. Would be a great dual-OS monster.

fromthehill
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
get another 69 usd
get this one
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=88

crimesaucer
December 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
get another 69 usd
get this one

Those looks like some good options for customization and some nice default specs like that NVIDIA card..... and you know that you should have everything working out of the box.

kernelhaxor
December 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
get another 69 usd
get this one
add to that the cost of a Windows license. Also that laptop isn't guaranteed to work with Windows, is it?
since the OP said he wants to dual boot with Windows.

cenzorrll
December 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
I would get a netbook, and spend the extra $1000 on a homebuilt desktop. $1000 in a desktop goes damn far. But then again I'm a student, all I use a laptop for is research, papers, and ...studying? (yeah, right.)

tuahaa
December 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
In our country, you can get laptops pretty cheaply. We just bought a laptop for my sister for 600 USD. The specs are pretty good too:

3GB RAM
320GB HDD
Dual cores @ 2.2Ghz each
1308mb (I think) Integrated intel graphics (too bad it isn't dedicated)
Windows 7 home premium (and I am ashamed of saying this- it's not that bad. Not that I use it, of course)
It's pretty light and has 6 hours battery life. It supports high resolutions and the fanning system rocks.

You could get a pretty good (if not, a gaming laptop) in our country with the money you are willing to spend.

cake nom nom
December 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
this is what i have

product:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-1545?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs#reviews

reviews:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-1545?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs#reviews

:)

monteagus
December 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
wow i really liked this one
it seems to be a good deal
and the dell insiron its a really good choice but i would preferd it with a dedicated graphic card probably >=512
i would also use it for dualbooting specialy becouse of games like cod4 hehe

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
The first laptop in my signature was 700 usd.

BigCityCat
December 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have an hp pavillion dv900 with dual core amd processors 64bit 4 gigs of ram that I bought from bestbuy for 600$. Everything works well with linux.

monteagus
December 24th, 2009, 01:11 AM
i think im goign to get the studio 15 customized final price would be arround 1000 usd

Psumi
December 24th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'd put the 1300 USD in my savings, as I already have a laptop.

But if I had to choose.........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157042

trixman
December 24th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I would get a netbook, and spend the extra $1000 on a homebuilt desktop. $1000 in a desktop goes damn far. But then again I'm a student, all I use a laptop for is research, papers, and ...studying? (yeah, right.)

get a macbook for $1000

mamamia88
December 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM
i would get the 13" macbook pro. seriously the thing looks amazing and has an advertised battery life better than alot of netbooks and is much more powerful than a netbook

5dolla
December 24th, 2009, 02:11 AM
i agree on the system 76...also you would be supporting a linux
reatailer :P

Cam42
December 24th, 2009, 02:13 AM
i would get the 13" macbook pro. seriously the thing looks amazing and has an advertised battery life better than alot of netbooks and is much more powerful than a netbook

seconded.

alakazam
December 24th, 2009, 02:31 AM

This.

MasterNetra
December 24th, 2009, 02:33 AM
get another 69 usd
get this one

More then addtional $69 don't forget about shipping and sadly seems to be out of stock atm. Guess business isn't that bad. lol

Psumi
December 24th, 2009, 02:35 AM
More then addtional $69 don't forget about shipping

And TAX, if you live in the states.

MasterNetra
December 24th, 2009, 02:40 AM
And TAX, if you live in the states.

A lot of online companies get away with not doing the tax thing. Idk if system76 charges the appriopiate taxes or not. haven't had the fortunate of having the funds to purchase a system from them.

monteagus
December 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM
unfortunately i live at Argentina so basically the final price would be the original price + the half(because of taxes here) but im trying to find a way of bringing it here cheaply hehe

droadtrip
December 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Something by Asus or Lenovo. Those are my preferences. Although I know Dell has a good reputation with Ubuntu as well.

crimesaucer
December 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
There was a nice looking HP dm3t for $1344.98 from the HP site (check out youtube videos and google it for reviews):

----------------------------------------------------------------

Operating system ............ Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor and Graphics ...... Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor SP9300 (2.26GHz, 6M Cache) with 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
Memory ...................... 50% OFF! 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive .................. 160GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)
Display ..................... 13.3" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
External optical drive ...... External LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
Personalization ............. Webcam Only
Networking .................. Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
Keyboard .................... HP Color Matching Keyboard
Primary battery ............. 6 Cell Polymer Battery
Productivity software ....... Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

..... too bad the NVIDIA card wasn't better, and too bad that they didn't offer the P9600. (also a backlit keyboard would be a major improvement)

HappyFeet
December 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM
For 1300 dollars, I could buy a decent laptop, and still have mucho coin left over for a killer desktop.

HappyFeet
December 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
There was a nice looking HP dm3t for $1344.98 from the HP site (check out youtube videos and google it for reviews):

Operating system ............ Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor and Graphics ...... Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor SP9300 (2.26GHz, 6M Cache) with 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
Memory ...................... 50% OFF! 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive .................. 160GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)
Display ..................... 13.3" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
External optical drive ...... External LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
Personalization ............. Webcam Only
Networking .................. Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
Keyboard .................... HP Color Matching Keyboard
Primary battery ............. 6 Cell Polymer Battery
Productivity software ....... Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

..... too bad the NVIDIA card wasn't better, and too bad that they didn't offer the P9600. (also a backlit keyboard would be a major improvement)

But you have to ask yourself, "what am I going to be using this computer for?" Photoshop? Video editing? 8 apps open at once? Most new pc's can do all the basics very well. I see people overpaying for computers all the time.

Gizenshya
December 26th, 2009, 08:05 AM
A lot of online companies get away with not doing the tax thing. Idk if system76 charges the appriopiate taxes or not. haven't had the fortunate of having the funds to purchase a system from them.

It isn't about getting away with anything. Sales taxes are made by states. A state can only charge sales taxes to people who are in their state. If a retailer has a retail store, or distribution center in your state, they charge you tax. They can't charge taxes to members of other states, because a US Supreme Court decision said they can't, for constitutional reasons. You'll have to go online for other info, though. I've read things to that effect on online retail websites before and on the news.

Gizenshya
December 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
But you have to ask yourself, "what am I going to be using this computer for?" Photoshop? Video editing? 8 apps open at once? Most new pc's can do all the basics very well. I see people overpaying for computers all the time.

SHHHHH!!!!

people like that keep prices down for gamers like me :p

:D

crimesaucer
December 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM
SHHHHH!!!!

people like that keep prices down for gamers like me :p

:D

Really? So I'm a "people like that" now?

I may not be much of an expert, never was a gamer, and have only been using Linux a bit over 3 years. (1 year xubuntu, 2+ years Arch)

... but am I really in a "people like that" category because I link one suggestion to an ultra portable notebook that I considered buying, and then passed on?

See, I too was looking for a computer in the exact same price range as the creator of this thread, and while I looked at some very nice computers, they always seemed to lack at least one thing that I was looking for.

Over the last couple of weeks I viewed Lenovo, Sony, Asus, Acer, HP, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Compaq, MSI, Apple..... and more that I can't remember. I visited all their sites and read all of the customer reviews, and I clicked through every customization and personalization that I could for any brand of 13" - 15" notebook that I could find..... I checked the deals at newegg and other sites, I checked around and read every review that I could find on google and watched a lot of youtube videos, I searched for Linux bug reports and any problem threads posted in different Linux distro forums (Arch and Ubuntu mostly), and even in places like the NV Forum's Linux section. I also read each comment on 300+ page threads about the 3 computers that I was the most interested in on this site: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1002

I compared the different Intel chips from my choices and read any reviews I could find about them (I didn't want another AMD processor so I didn't even bother with that), and when I reviewed the graphics cards some people (mostly windows gamers) claimed ATI to be better, but I mostly looked for computers with NVIDIA cards because they have less issues with Linux drivers and the recent xorg updates. I used these two pages to compare graphics card benchmarks, and the NVIDIA site as well:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Graphic-Cards.130.0.html
http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f84/laptop-graphics-cards-ranking-list-165525/

The specs that I wanted for myself were:

- DDR3 RAM
- Solid State Drive
- Intel processor (not the ULVC but usually the P and T series: anywhere - - in the P8800 to T9900 range, i7's were out of my range of cost)
- A dedicated Graphics card (nvidia because of better linux drivers)
- A nice screen
- backlit key board if possible (and nice button placement)
- thin and light ultra portable of 13" or 14" inches
- longer battery life
- and hopefully linux support for webcams/microphones, multimedia keys, and such.

I doubt that I need to explain why those are the specs that I wanted. Like I said I don't play video games so I didn't need a class 1 graphics card..... especially on a 13" ultra portable, but I do like it when there is no tearing in videos and when compositing and other 3d effects look good and run smoothly..... and if I eventually get a few games then hopefully it wont be too bad.

Battery life is a big perc but not an overall selling point for me (I can always get a 9 cell battery or use a car adapter while traveling in my car). I mostly wanted a very fast machine for regular use. Keep in mind that I like to build my Linux system completely from source using Archlinux's ABS (optimized with C[XX]FLAGS/LDFLAGS) so the faster the compile time the better off I'll be. I think I might even try Gentoo or Sabayon for this laptop.

I also wanted a computer that could be put into a camping backpack if I decide to backpack through Europe again, and since this will be the only computer that I'll own (no powerful desktop system to use), what I needed was for this computer to be able to perform any task like a desktop system while still being light enough and thin enough to travel with and even possibly live out of a backpack with (like backpacking through Europe).

If you can find a comparable 13 inch laptop with ddr3, SSD, dedicated 512MB graphics card, and an Intel chip as good or better than the P9300 for less than $1350 then please post me a link.

The only laptop that I found was the Dell Studio XPS 13 which was $170 dollars more expensive than the dm3t but had a better graphics card, better Intel P9600, no external optical drive needed, better linux support since they have ubuntu on one of their lower end SXPS 13 models (using the same webcam/microphone, SSD, and multimedia keys), and it even had a backlit keyboard with nice sized alt/ctrl/shift buttons which was a major plus for me. (my current HP Pavilion dv9920us has the worst shift button ever on the right side and I constantly have problems with it when typing)

Asus had some nice laptops but there was always something missing, like they would have a slower 5400rpm sata hdd, or ddr2..... Same thing with Sony, they would have SSD and a nice NVIDIA or ATI and then it would be ddr2, or the NVIDIA card would only be 256MB instead of 512MB..... Same thing for lenovo. And once the specs were similar to the ones that I wanted then the price was up there in the macbook-pro range, and sometimes even in the macbook-pro-air range.

So I had looked at that HP and ended up not getting it for these reasons:

First off the NVIDIA G 105M 512MB dedicated card was pretty low in the "Class 3 Low-Midrange Graphics Card" category. It was described as a "Higher clocked 9300M GS" and things like Hybrid-SLI, HybridPower, and GeForceBoost aren't gonna work in Linux. Even videos of it on youtube using Windows 7 playing games showed it struggling.

Secondly, the Linux support for HP has always been bad for me. I've owned 2 HP laptops, and my current webcam barely works with the v4l2 driver, and the microphone still dosen't work. Other things like multimedia keys are always a bitch and the wifi card in my new computer is still not supported and only has a ****** workaround for it, and my last computer's wifi was a pain before the b43 driver. I even read on the NVIDIA forum that a person running Fedora on their new dm3t couldn't use the multimedia keys (which are the function keys) because they had no scan codes, so that was a big no-sell for me.

Third problem was the external optical drive (carrying it around while traveling seemed like a hassle), and the fourth problem was the complaints that I read about the speakers crackling, the touchpad on suspend, and the keyboard tray flexing and breaking (check youtube for that one).

Now, if someone wanted to take a gamble on the multimedia buttons and the webcam/microphone working in ubuntu, and on the wifi card (worked but with issues for the dude on Fedora), and if the low end NVIDIA card didn't matter then it looked like a nice thin ultra portable. But I didn't want to have another computer with webcams and microphones that weren't usable in Linux. Maybe I shouldn't of recommended it since I didn't want to take a chance on it.

So I ended up getting the Dell Studio XPS 13..... even after all of the posts about the heat vent, and the OLD bios BSOD probs (a vista thing), and the complaints about the 9400/9500 nvidia wouldn't matter when using the NVIDIA G 210M with the newer bios and motherboard.

I also found a few videos that showed the SXPS 13 using the angle that I would use and the vent blockage wasn't that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAu8nGA0WUA#t=0m53s

Most of the heat reports that were made were more about the temp of the computer as it sat on the lap rather than the temps of the cpu/gpu/hdd which were normal. And I would be using a nice laptop cooler most of the time anyways, so again a non issue. Plus, like I said before, I never have my laptop open past 110 degrees so only one slot of the 4 vents might be blocked, and the cooler that I'll be using will be pumping fresh cool air directly into the fan shown from this page, so I don't expect any hot air creating screen discoloration in the corner: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Studio-XPS-13-Notebook.14081.0.html

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/Arch-newb/Screenshot-fan-1.png (http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/Arch-newb/Screenshot-fan.png)

As for the noise of the hard drive it won't be an issue with the 128GB SSD, the battery life may be worse than the HP dm3t, but the trade off is a backlit keyboard and multimedia keys/webcams/microphone that work with Linux.

Now as for the Hybrid-SLI, HybridPower, and GeForceBoost not working on my NVIDIA G 210M card I'm guessing that I can configure xorg.conf to use the best performance when plugged in to AC, and to use the least power when on battery, similar to what I do now with my crappy NVIDIA card using this code in my "Screen" Section of my xorg.conf:

Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x3322; PowerMizerDefault=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"

Another selling point for me on the Dell SXPS 13 was that I watched some youtube videos of people playing games with the NVIDIA G 210M on an Asus (using windows 7) and the performance was better than what I expected.

JC Cheloven
December 27th, 2009, 04:26 AM
To the OP:

Just another element: most laptops come without firewire port nowadays (just an hdmi instead, which is not a replacement at all).

If you plan to record from a camcorder, or to use a serious audio interface (among maybe other things), you'll need it. Dell's inspiron series haven't, but dell's studio series have.

hansdown
December 27th, 2009, 04:47 AM
The biggest worry is the graphics.

If it is ATI, avoid it,for now. Poke it with a sharpened stick,in the eye, if need be.

I just bought an HP G60-530CA for $599 Can.

Everything works great.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329743-3848802-3848802-3999411-4041411.html

monteagus
December 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
wow nice post crimesaucer
i havent checked yet the hp but u are looking something similar to what i need
instead of THE SOLID STATE DRIVE i would be fine with a 7200 rpm
i didnt notice the ventilation problem in the xps so thanxs a lot for the research.
about the firewire port i dont really need it becouse im working with cams that have SD CARDS and MINI DVDS so i think i will be just fine dont u think so?
Crimesaucer i would like to know why didnt u choose a studio 15?why do u prefer the "XPS 13"?

crimesaucer
December 30th, 2009, 08:12 PM
wow nice post crimesaucer
Crimesaucer i would like to know why didnt u choose a studio 15?why do u prefer the "XPS 13"?

Mostly because I wanted a computer that was good for car use, coffee shop use, and could easily be put into a backpack (like a fullsized camping backpack for backpacking). Also, I've owned both a 17.4" inch HP notebook, and a 15.4" inch HP notebook and I felt that both of them were good for home use, but seemed too heavy and bulky when I traveled with them in my car or in the city.

I also considered the Studio 14z, but it had an external drive (which I would have been cool with), but the major drawback for me was the shared memory NVIDIA 9400 M G card, and there was no Solid State Drive option..... but it was cheaper at $1,194 dollars.

The Studio 15 for $1,579 dollars looked like a nice computer. It has the i7-820QM (3.06Ghz Turbo), DDR3 at 1333MHz, a 9 cell battery, Intel 5300 Ultimate-N Half Mini Card, 1080p screen, soundblaster, and a back-lit keyboard. I know some people really like ATI but I am not sure about their Linux drivers (especially on the Arch forum)..... and I really wanted a SSD drive..... so this computer was about 2" inches bigger than I wanted and as good as all the stats were it was still missing SSD and easy to use NVIDIA. (but most of those stats were much better than the SPXS 13 that I bought..... so looking at that page I started to get a bit of buyer's remorse)

I also liked the Studio XPS 16, it has a MUCH BETTER screen, but when choosing the nicer i7-820QM @ 3.06GHz Turbo Mode (and the 128GB SSD), the price jumps up to $2,153 dollars. With the i7-720QM @ 2.8GHz Turbo Mode and the 500GB 7200rpm HDD the price was more affordable at $1,649 dollars. Both these prices were too much for me, and again ATI which I didn't want to try yet.

While window shopping at the Newegg site I saw a few deals for laptops. Mostly in the $999 - $1500 dollar range for nice specs. Again, they were mostly 16" - 18" inch laptops with 5400rpm hard drives, but everything else was good..... the i7 intels might have been the slower ones, and using the DDR3 1066 instead of the DDR3 at 1333MHz like the Dell, but everything looked nice and the reviews seemed positive. (a lot of people just replaced the 5400rpm sata drives with their own SSD)

These ones looked pretty good for low price, full-sized laptops:

$999: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613
$1,149: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101203
$1,349: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114706

This one was cheap because it had already been opened $799: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613R

Just search around on that site, I probably would of ordered from there if they had 13.3" laptop with Intel P9600, SSD and a dedicated NVIDIA.

EDIT:

Well, after seeing handy's thread called, "ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)": http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8580503&postcount=239

I would have to guess that ATI is being fixed for Linux..... personally, I won't take that chance and will stick with the official NVIDIA drivers from the official NVIDIA website.