PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] rhythmbox cd extract very slow

bode
December 22nd, 2009, 04:56 AM
no matter what cd ripper i try, rhythmbox, sound juicer, ripperx, etc. the cd reading is extremely slow (3.0x). why is it not operating at full speed and what can i do to fix it? i am using 9.10, cd/dvdrw is connected by sata with the sata power connector converted to 4 pin.

Geremia
April 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Running top, I noticed Rhythmbox only uses ~¼ of my CPU. I wonder why.

Also, running gnome-system-monitor, I noticed that Rhythmbox is sleeping even while encoding! renice-ing it didn't appear to help either.

matt-fender
April 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Could do with some more information regarding hardware, what cpu, memory and model of cd/rw drive. Also what quality you are ripping music at, e.g mp3?

Geremia
April 8th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Could do with some more information regarding hardware, what cpu, memory and model of cd/rw drive. Also what quality you are ripping music at, e.g mp3?I have a Macbook 2,1 with 1.25 GB of RAM and a 2 GHz processor. The CD drive is the internal Matshita, and I am ripping to m4a (AAC). Thanks

El Zoido
April 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have the same problem whith Rhythmbox in 10.10 64bit.
Using BonkEnc (free:ac nowadays) under Win7 64bit is insanely fast (3-5 min per cd) at comparable or better quality, it's not hardware.

I switched to SoundJuicer which is somewhat faster, but still not at BonkEnc levels.
System monitor says that I'm only using one of four CPUs and this one not even at full capacity...