PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu repositories, software version management

jperelli
December 22nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Hello

I want to know why ubuntu doesn't have the latest version of each software in the repositories.

The question it's because I had to install alsa manually each time the kernel upgraded (because ./config alsa needs the path to the active kernel source) until the new ubuntu version came (with the new alsa version). Now i need the latest version of pidgin (2.6.4) and ubutu's repos give me a old version (2.6.2)

Besides, i want to know what is the kernel number that ubuntu adds linux-image-2.6.xx-[ubuntu number], and why the last number changes and the other (linux kernel version) numbers only changes when a new ubuntu version comes.

I think i can't understand how or when the repositories program upgrades works, and why some updates are made with a new ubuntu version and others are made in the repos without the coming of a new ubuntu version

Sorry, but i could not find the answer to this question, if someone can give me a link to that info I would appreciate that a lot.

Thanks in advance!

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 04:08 AM
Ubuntu is a "stable" Linux distribution.

The release number tells you all you need to know. 9.10 = October (10th month) 2009.

You never get major upgrades, only bug fixes and security patches.

You will get your new Pidgin in April when you upgrade to 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

jperelli
December 22nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
I think that, every software that releases a new version, almost always has at least one bug fix in the new version.

But then I'll install the latest pidgin manually...

thank you, that answers part of my questions!