PDA

View Full Version : Headphone Help

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 03:30 AM
My headphones just spontaneously broke today. I would like some recommendations for new ones since I know nothing about headphones. I want ear buds (the ability to stick them in my pocket is important to me), and I do not want something super expensive. I listen mainly to hard rock and metal if that matters. Thank you

Cam42
December 22nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
Skullcandy Smokin' buds, or Ink'd if you want to go with a lower priced (albeit lower quality).

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 03:42 AM
I found a $30 koss pair at walmart. I also listen to mainly metal and they are the best ones i've heard so far. On the front of the box it says "custom fit ke29s" under neath the koss logo. The package calls them noise isolating (true, as long as some music is playing) and they have a volume control. I've tried skull candy, and these "marshmallow" buds from walmart, and they sounded horrible to my ears. Family dollar has a pair of $5 rca ear buds that are fairly good.
edit: all of the products referenced in this post are earbuds, and no advertising is meant.

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 03:44 AM
Skullcandy Smokin' buds, or Ink'd if you want to go with a lower priced (albeit lower quality).

I actually might have had the Smokin' buds, they were skullcandy but I cannot remember the model (white and black with volume control, ~$20).

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
what's your budget.

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
what's your budget.

I do not think more than ~$35 should be necessary.

A friend recommended me Senheisser cx300's, which I can get on Amazon for $30. Are those any good?

koleoptero
December 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM

A friend recommended me Senheisser cx300's, which I can get on Amazon for $30. Are those any good?

No. I've had them and... no. They are built excellently, still haven't broken after 3 years, but they sound lousy.

Firestem4
December 22nd, 2009, 05:28 AM

Go with some headphones from SkullCandy, I've heard nothing but great things about them even though they're very cheap. Cheap doesn't mean bad =)

(I have a pair of $200 headphones so this is where I get my 'Cheap' statement lol)

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Go with some headphones from SkullCandy, I've heard nothing but great things about them even though they're very cheap. Cheap doesn't mean bad =)

(I have a pair of $200 headphones so this is where I get my 'Cheap' statement lol)

ok

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM

I am comparing some of the buds on the skullcandy site, would it be better to have 16-20k Hz or 20 - 20k Hz?

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
you won't hear a difference. most humans won't. if you have music that genuinely reaches 16hz, i'd be surprised.

nobodysbusiness
December 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have a pair of Sennheiser CX500's and I like them a lot. If you can spend the extra cash on them, you won't regret it.

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have a pair of Sennheiser CX500's and I like them a lot. If you can spend the extra cash on them, you won't regret it.

Will consider

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
you won't hear a difference. most humans won't. if you have music that genuinely reaches 16hz, i'd be surprised.

Then what should I look at when comparing headphones if I cannot try them on because they are somewhere over the internet :)?

koleoptero
December 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Then what should I look at when comparing headphones if I cannot try them on because they are somewhere over the internet :)?

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is search for reviews of them, consider if you like them etc. There's not much more you can do.

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
head over to headfi.org and take a look at user reviews there. IMO, i have to listen to them before i buy. another example - i would never buy speakers before listening to them. ever. headphones should be no different.

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
head over to headfi.org and take a look at user reviews there. IMO, i have to listen to them before i buy. another example - i would never buy speakers before listening to them. ever. headphones should be no different.

checking that forum out atm.

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
be careful, that place is addicting, as is that hobby...

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
be careful, that place is addicting, as is that hobby...

hehe...how is asking what headphones I should get addicting?

BTW, another friend recommended http://www.kicker.com/eb101 ... I will probably pick the ones I want today, so any last minute advice would be nice.

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
He means being an audiophile.

jimi_hendrix
December 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM

I can control that

pwnst*r
December 22nd, 2009, 11:04 PM

or an audio enthusiast...which is actually preferable.

jpeddicord
December 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM

I actually might have had the Smokin' buds, they were skullcandy but I cannot remember the model (white and black with volume control, ~$20).

I am comparing some of the buds on the skullcandy site, would it be better to have 16-20k Hz or 20 - 20k Hz?

Skullcandy phones have good initial quality, but I've found they tend to break rather easily. You'd think that'd be fine since they have a lifetime warranty, but good luck getting them to follow through with it. They haven't responded to multiple emails or a call about a pair of Titans that I bought in October that suddenly quit working. So, if you want Skullcandy, be prepared for the fact that you might need to replace them on your own at some point.

I've heard some good things about Sennheiser in terms of durability and support, but I can't vouch for them personally since I don't own any. Might pick up some cheap CX300s though as I've heard nothing but good things about them.