PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Vista with VirtualBox without new license

Jonwenger
December 22nd, 2009, 03:23 AM
I have an HP pavilion laptop computer with a dual boot (vista and karmic). Is it possible to make a virtual machine with VirtualBox OSE with Windows Vista, without buying a new license and/or destroying the dual boot. If yes, Could somebody walk me through the installation a little bit, because I am not experienced with that. Thank You.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 03:30 AM
That would be illegal. You cannot install Windows without a valid license, whether it is a virtual machine or a "real" machine. Nobody on these forums is going to help you circumvent this legal reality.

Ubuntu, however, is free and you may install it on as many computers (virtual or otherwise) as you like.

Jonwenger
December 22nd, 2009, 03:45 AM
That would be illegal. You cannot install Windows without a valid license, whether it is a virtual machine or a "real" machine. Nobody on these forums is going to help you circumvent this legal reality.
I am not trying to circumvent buying a new license.
If you are using the same license on the same computer it is not illegal is it? I have Windows Vista installed. Because I understand if you try to run it on another Computer, you have to call Microsoft and tell them that you are just using it on another Computer as a Virtual Machine and they then give you a possibility to do so. (At least that is what I heard from friends)

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 03:55 AM
I am not a lawyer and I do not work for Microsoft. Your "without buying a new license" comment leads me to believe you are trying to circumvent buying a new license; however I like to give all ubuntuforums.org users the benefit of the doubt. ;) Let us know the outcome of your conversation with Microsoft.

If you are looking for a free operating system with no licenses, I recommend Ubuntu.

presence1960
December 22nd, 2009, 04:55 AM
I am not a lawyer and I do not work for Microsoft. Your "without buying a new license" comment leads me to believe you are trying to circumvent buying a new license; however I like to give all ubuntuforums.org users the benefit of the doubt. ;) Let us know the outcome of your conversation with Microsoft.

If you are looking for a free operating system with no licenses, I recommend Ubuntu.

+1

I read it the same way. Even though this is a linux community I have no problem trying to help with windows. But when even the slightest appearance of illegal uses of software arise I refrain from helping. This is just such an example. Even though I dislike MS, I don't let my view of them stand in the way of right and wrong.

If the Op is legit then just try installing it and see what happens. If there is a problem MS will fix it for you if you are using it legitimately.

Jonwenger
December 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Ok just to let you know what I found out about legal situation and so on. I called Microsoft and as long as you tell them that you run your old Windows (license) in the Virtual Machine and not use your other computer (reformat hard drive). They will give you the ability to do so (New license, I guess). But since I want to keep my dual boot for now, I am fine. (I am a Linux starter)
Feel free to ask/post/comment if you know differently or else. Thank you.

Stephen_at
January 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
The way I read it was this:

He has a PC which has Vista pre-installed on it

He made that machine dual boot Vista/Linux

Now he wants to know if he can create a VM which uses the pre-installed copy of Vista as its O/s rather than him having to get another license.

Is that illegal? You're still running Vista on the same hardware - you've still only got one copy of it associated with that licence key...