PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VirtualBox kernel driver not installed

caradeporra
December 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
I have been scanning the forums all day and have not found a solution.

The issue i seem to be having is when virtualbox 3.1 installs (or virtualbox 3.0 for that matter), it tries to run linux-headers-'uname -r' which for some reason tells it to look for kernel release 2.6.28-15-generic. i have version 2.6.31-17-generic.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no fix. The virtualbox-ose installed fine.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
Please post the output of:

uname -r

You might also want to:

sudo apt-get install dkms

for future convenience updating your modules when you upgrade the kernel.

caradeporra
December 22nd, 2009, 12:45 AM
dkms is already installed. the uname -r is 2.6.28-15-generic. This is the issue i believe, but I am not sure how to adjust this.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 12:47 AM
It's possible 2.6.31-17-generic is installed, but you're not running it.

Choose the correct kernel from your GRUB boot menu.

Let's back up a second though and let me ask you this: Is VirtualBox working OK, and if not, what happens?

caradeporra
December 22nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
Virtualbox will start up correctly. once i try to start the virtual machine (i was able to create the virtual machine but never start it - so it is not loaded or anything.) it throws the error telling me to run the /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup.

when the setup is run it is looking for a file in the 2.28.6 directory (the older directory is still in tact.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
This should get you going:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers
sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

caradeporra
December 22nd, 2009, 12:57 AM
ok, before i try that, the old kernels were the only one available in the boot menu - I need to add the new kernels to the menu.lst file. I am going to do that first. When i updated to 9.10 i didnt update that file because i didnt want to mess up my dual boots.

caradeporra
December 22nd, 2009, 01:05 AM
ok, i added the new kernel to the boot menu and have booted off of that. Thats enough for today, i will pick it back up in the morning. Really appreciate all the help and quick responses! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2009, 01:15 AM
I understand now. :)

I am not a GRUB expert but it sounds like you are way ahead of me :)

Tomorrow we can solve the VirtualBox problem.

caradeporra
December 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
SnowPine,

You hit the nail on the head. I knew the problems were with the headers but I did not know that those were changed in the Boot menu.

I am posting the solution for future references to other users. I appreciate all your help.

I did

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and copied the existing Linux entry, for both normal and recovery mode, so that if I messed up I would still have the original entries. I then changed the kernel in the entry to my current kernel, and I also changed the initrd to the latest kernel as well. So my menu.lst went from:

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
uuid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=uuid=xxxxxxxxx
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic

and then copied it to look like this:

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-17-generic
uuid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=uuid=xxxxxxxxx
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic

before changing this, I navigated to the /boot folder and made sure I had the vmlinz and initrd files.

I then rebooted and chose the new entry from the grub menu and logged in, I then re-ran

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
and it ran correctly. Opened virtualbox and started up a session and it is working.

If any one who knows more about the grub menu has any advice, or thinks there is a better way or more proper way - please chip-in your 2-cents!

Thanks SnowPine!