my display is : HP w2207h

neither rotation nor refresh rate can be changed

Greenwidth
December 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM
Is the Nvidia driver enabled in:
Admin > Hardware Drivers ?

madmax.santana
December 22nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
I am not an expert in Ubuntu though. But I have an nVidia GeForece GT 9600M in my notebook PC. I did this when I installed Ubuntu (8.04 LTS, 9.04, now 9.10).
1- I downloaded the driver binaries form nVidia website (they let you choose your OS and Linux in included in the Menu)
2- I switched to console by Ctrl+Alt+F1
3- I typed

sudo bash
to enter root shell and then

/etc/grub.d/gdm stop
in Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04
and just

service gdm stop
in Ubuntu 9.10
4- I made the driver binary executable by

chmod +x path/to/file
5- I ran the file by just typing the file path and followed the instructions on the installer screen. Then rebooted my PC.

This also installed x-server settings. Although Ubuntu had already set my display resolution to a very appropriate one but if you want to change it, you can do that by finding NVIDIA X-Server in System Settings and follow the directions.

new lin
December 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
Is the Nvidia driver enabled in:
Admin > Hardware Drivers ?

nothing is listed there

new lin
December 22nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
I am not an expert in Ubuntu though. But I have an nVidia GeForece GT 9600M in my notebook PC. I did this when I installed Ubuntu (8.04 LTS, 9.04, now 9.10).
1- I downloaded the driver binaries form nVidia website (they let you choose your OS and Linux in included in the Menu)
2- I switched to console by Ctrl+Alt+F1
3- I typed

to enter root shell and then

in Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04
and just

in Ubuntu 9.10
4- I made the driver binary executable by

5- I ran the file by just typing the file path and followed the instructions on the installer screen. Then rebooted my PC.

This also installed x-server settings. Although Ubuntu had already set my display resolution to a very appropriate one but if you want to change it, you can do that by finding NVIDIA X-Server in System Settings and follow the directions.

I tried before and faced the system cannot find driver low resolution only start up !

and then only low resolution available !!

worse than current state

couldn't resolve without re-installation which I'm afraid to try it again