PDA

View Full Version : In Virginia it's apparently against the law...

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
...to be naked in your own home.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hWoBadmUOPvmkJk3fdWXosu1t8JgD9CLVU880

pathetic.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've heard of similar laws from the wonderful Commonwealth (lol they still think they're British).

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
tristam....off to the vent thread immediately lol:lolflag:

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
The fact that we're called a Commonwealth has no practical significance. And frankly I'm not sure what to think about this. It sounds as though he was trying to draw attention to himself, which has to be taken into account IMO.

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Well here in the YUK...if you have a burglar or intruder you want rid of....heres how you get shot but still comply with the law...1)just happen to have a weapon at hand ( ie you were cleaning your 12 bore before going to bed)...2) entice the intruder to a personal space in the building eg your bedroom 3) do for them....and 4) be prepared for just a manslaughter charge instead of murder......as to wandering about naked in the house...well um is it as cold over there as it is here?....and actually I can see where such laws may have sprung from...anyone remember the original heat of the night film with steiger and poitier?:popcorn:

cascade9
December 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
I've heard of similar laws from the wonderful Commonwealth (lol they still think they're British).

Umm, no. No-one in the commonweath think they are british apart from a few misguided Scots and Welsh. ;)

BTW, the inital link wasnt actually a 'law' saying 'you cant go naked in your house', they were getting him under public obscenity laws. Which exists virtually everywhere. ;)

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Forgive my ignorance but wheres this Commonwealth?.....and its obviously where some of you are....and are you all common and rich there cos if so whens the next flight? whoops! no planes out of the YUK...seriously tho from where I'm standing the commonwealth is something that the queen used to wave at when anybody took any notice of royalty!:popcorn:

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM
:lolflag:dioch cariad!

cascade9
December 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM
I used to live in Virginia (Suffolk and Virginia Beach). Glad to see saying you guys still think you're British still riles you up as much as it did when I lived there :popcorn:

In regards to the OP's news story, I think the guy might have been pushing it by singing and carrying on. However, I do think the wom(en) were being too freaking nosy for their own good.

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Umm, no. No-one in the commonweath think they are british apart from a few misguided Scots and Welsh. ;)

BTW, the inital link wasnt actually a 'law' saying 'you cant go naked in your house', they were getting him under public obscenity laws. Which exists virtually everywhere. ;)

in my own home is not considered public as far as i'm concerned.

lisati
December 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM

+1. I'm sure I saw something in the article about how he was standing in a side door, thus making it a matter of opinion about whether or not he was actually inside his home.

cascade9
December 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
@ pwnst*r- yeah, agreed, but this situation is more about the policing than the laws IMO.

I used to live in Virginia (Suffolk and Virginia Beach). Glad to see saying you guys still think you're British still riles you up as much as it did when I lived there :popcorn:

In regards to the OP's news story, I think the guy might have been pushing it by singing and carrying on. However, I do think the wom(en) were being too freaking nosy for their own good.

If you really want to rile us, try calling us americans :P

At least the brits were open about the empire LOL

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
:lolflag:this thread gets more entertaining by the second...somebody please tell cascade that as far as I can tell only the aussies still think theyre in the commonwealth...and we oughta have a permanent advice thread too..first one entitled " how to avoid a glasgow kiss in scotland" second one "why you should never speak welsh in wales" and last but least "how to explain that ireland is not actually in the YUK...:P:popcorn:

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
I used to live in Virginia (Suffolk and Virginia Beach)...

Greetings from Yorktown! I've actually never heard the British thing before, but I've known too many people who think Commonwealth actually means something...

in my own home is not considered public as far as i'm concerned.

It is if your windows are unshuttered.

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Greetings from Yorktown!

debatable.

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
debatable.

Fair enough. I think it's nuanced, but in this case I happen to side with the law. Which is not something I say often.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
Greetings from Yorktown! I've actually never heard the British thing before, but I've known too many people who think Commonwealth actually means something...
Yorktown! A more beautiful place I doubt I've seen on the East Coast :)

I first lived there when I was 12, I kept thinking "jeez, calling a state a 'commonwealth' seems awful stuck-up."

debatable.

Agreed on both points. I certainly wouldn't traipse around naked with my blinds open (at least the ones facing the street).

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
and neither would i, but some folks do. the doorway thing is, as was mentioned, not very private, but windows? imo, don't look in them if you're on the street/sidewalk. no reason to.

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
there are still a few bits of the commonwealth tho ( I have to concede)...kent seems to be the main enclave...theres surrey and sussex and um well... and apart from historical and geographical minor errors cascade got a good point... I mean the YANKS:lolflag:llearnt from the brits and then perfected the art of getting in the back door didnt they:P..(.ducking out the door to go get fish and chips!)

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
kent seems to be the main enclave...theres surrey and sussex

Funny thing is, I can't be sure if you're talking about UK or US because all those places exist here in VA. Be careful how you use that 'Y' word though...

cascade9
December 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
:lolflag:this thread gets more entertaining by the second...somebody please tell cascade that as far as I can tell only the aussies still think theyre in the commonwealth...and we oughta have a permanent advice thread too..first one entitled " how to avoid a glasgow kiss in scotland" second one "why you should never speak welsh in wales" and last but least "how to explain that ireland is not actually in the YUK...:P:popcorn:

Awww, I cant translate that, can anyone translate to ocker? LOL.

We are still in the commonwealth, not that it matters much anymore. We stopped being the quarry for the UK a long time ago, now we are the chinese quarry. The more things change, the more they stay the same.....

If only they would take the ugly chick of the back of the money here LMAO.

As for the advice threads, thast easy-
1- avoid glasgow in particular, and scotland in general.
2- Can anybody really speak welsh?!?
3- Really? I thought that there was a tiny bit the birts kept just to remind themselves of what they lost..... Or maybe its to make themselves feel better, 'we got stuff the romans couldnt'. If only Agricola had got those 3 extra legions he had asked for.

BTW, if it makes you feel better, I'm not an australian. I just live here. ;)

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
and neither would i, but some folks do. the doorway thing is, as was mentioned, not very private, but windows? imo, don't look in them if you're on the street/sidewalk. no reason to.

I agree that as well.

And isn't there an awful lot of what appears to be forced Cockney typing in this thread? :|

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
:popcorn: and f&c!...wow you guys are cool but seriously out of date!...most cockneys now reside in central france....nobody in welsh wales speaks anything other than welsh..even cardiff that glorious new mausoleum presided over by the true queen of wales (kathryn zeta the great)...uses welsh as its official lingo....scotland dont talk to anybody else anymore and have made it quite clear they dont particularly want foreigners crossing the border..and the few remaining white anglo saxons in YUK south have to continually bear the cross they dont want to carry (too costly) because some of the northern irish say they have a right to be protected from other northern irish and a few from actual eire too. just call me your geek on the street! :lolflag:

lisati
December 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
<off-topic>I noticed a couple of references to the Commonwealth earlier in this thred. I attended the Commonwealth Games in Christchurch, New Zealand, back in 1974, about the time NZ had colour TV for the first time. No matter how hard I looked at the TV coverage at the time, and a handful of clips I've seen sinces, I never managed to see myself in the stands.</off-topic>

dragos240
December 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
That is an outrageous law.

Redache
December 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
2- Can anybody really speak welsh?!?

About 800,000 people.

Speaking Welsh in Wales is a good idea since nearly everything is Bi-lingual.

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
That is an outrageous law.

I think you weren't paying attention. The actual law cited was indecent exposure.

NoaHall
December 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
About 800,000 people.

Speaking Welsh in Wales is a good idea since nearly everything is Bi-lingual.

I can. Useful for talking to old people/teachers.

Shibblet
December 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
debatable.

It's one thing to walk around naked in your own house with the curtains closed... but it's another thing to walk around with the windows open, and the entire neighborhood can see your junk.

Kids playing outside, cars driving by, religious services knocking at your door...

It would be no different than if you walked outside naked on your lawn.

The only thing that concerns me is if I go downstairs at night to get a drink of water, and someone happens to see me "naked" through the window, not only will I be embarrassed, but I may have to contend with a law-suit.
:lolflag:

lisati
December 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
It's one thing to walk around naked in your own house with the curtains closed... but it's another thing to walk around with the windows open, and the entire neighborhood can see your junk.

Kids playing outside, cars driving by, religious services knocking at your door...

The only thing that concerns me is if I go downstairs at night to get a drink of water, and someone happens to see me "naked" through the window, not only will I be embarrassed, but I may have to contend with a law-suit.
:lolflag:

+1. I well appreciate the thought.

As wonderful as Mrs Lisati might find my physique (when she's in a good mood), I don't want to have to pay a medical or legal bill as a consequence of passers-by catching a glimpse of something that is best left private.

chris200x9
December 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM
"no one deserves to see that" hahaha

MasterNetra
December 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
The guy had a point at the end, if a guy was looking from outside into a woman's house and saw her naked he would be considered a peeping tom (Though he most likely wouldn't of reported it anyway but details). And the whole "I heard a rattle" or "I heard singing" wouldn't of been bought. Granted the whole standing in a outer doorway for long periods of time is really taxing it. On that note I personally don't care if people run around naked. If I don't want to see it I won't look at it. As long as people are trying to force their parts onto others then big whoop.

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM

i don't think it's quite as simple as that. as i stated earlier, why the hell are you looking in my windows anyway?

NoaHall
i don't think it's quite as simple as that. as i stated earlier, why the hell are you looking in my windows anyway?

Yeah, you perve.

pwnst*r
and another thing - it's funny how the lady looking from the trail is innocent. if it were a male and the lady was naked in the window, he'd be labeled a peeping tom/pervert.

gletob
He was in the privacy of his own home, and furthermore the woman and child were trespasing on his property when they cut through his yard. If anything the woman should be charged for Trespasing and for being a peeping tom.

BTW, Have a jolly-good day*, from your friend Gletob in the good ol' Commonwealth.

* Just trying to be funny don't feel offended

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
and furthermore the woman and child were trespasing on his property when they cut through his yard.

Do you know something not mentioned in the article? Because I saw nothing that would imply they were trespassing.

Shibblet
December 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM

Yeah, you perve.

Well, to be honest, at first I thought it was his belly-button, and it was an "outtie".

gletob
December 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
Do you know something not mentioned in the article? Because I saw nothing that would imply they were trespassing.

I live in virginia and have seen many new interviews and stories on TV, as well as articles in the paper.

The woman had a child with at 6 something in the morning, suposedly headed to school. They procede to cut through this man's yard, at whitch point the looked in the man's window and saw him naked in his own kitchen.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
I live in virginia and have seen many new interviews and stories on TV, as well as articles in the paper.

The woman had a child with at 6 something in the morning, suposedly headed to school. They procede to cut through this man's yard, at whitch point the looked in the man's window and saw him naked in his own kitchen.

lol, I'd stand naked in my doorway greeting trespassers too. Sure as heck would keep them off my lawn...

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
:guitar:Well i guess the only conclusion to this is....if you are going to take a short cut to school in Virginia, Land Of the Free, then do it naked and make sure that when you are arrested you only know how to speak Welsh!:P

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
:guitar:Well i guess the only conclusion to this is....if you are going to take a short cut to school in Virginia, Land Of the Free, then do it naked and make sure that when you are arrested you only know how to speak Welsh!:P

comedy central.