PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Drivers...

iSephy
December 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
I have a dual-booting HP Pavilion a1209n, with two 200gb hard drives. Windows is installed on the slave drive and Ubuntu on the master. I have all the drivers I need on the Windows drive, but I want to get them on Ubuntu so I can set my screen resolution bigger and enable my wireless internet. Ubuntu's Hardware Drivers program (System>Administration) does not detect the wireless PCI card or Integrated Intel Graphics Card. Help D:

Thanks

~Seph

Mark Phelps
December 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
You don't "get drivers" for installing in Ubuntu, it does hardware detection, determines the drivers, and obtains them by itself. IT's not like MS Windows where you need a driver disk.

Howver, since your machine comes with only 64MB of video memory, my guess is that you have a really old video chip -- one way to old to have restricted drivers available in the newer Ubuntu distros.

To find out what you have, boot from an Ubuntu Live CD. Once running, open a terminal and type "lspci". In that list somewhere, it will show the video card/chip you're using.

You can post that back here, but my guess is it's probably something like an Xpress 300, for which there are no restricted drivers.

iSephy
December 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
I fixed it by downgrading to 9.04 which lets me use the resolution 1024x768, which makes my screen look a lot better, I still need to fix the wireless internet, but for now, I'm good! Thanks!~