PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic won't format partition to NTFS

xpacker
December 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for about 2 months now (love it) on my laptop. I installed Karmic on it, no problems, formatting a storage partition to NTFS (with other partitions: Windows, Swap, Root, Home).

I'd like to do the same on an old desktop I am resurrecting to play with (want to try different distros, software, etc). But when I installed via live CD, there was no option to format a storage partition to NTFS. There's XFS and JFS, but no NTFS. I'd like to be able to use any files written to this partition, by both Windows and Linux.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there an alternate format that would serve my purposes? I want to be able to write large files (20GB or so), that can be read later by either Windows or Linux.

I'm not very computer-savvy, so please make any suggestions/help as basic as possible.

Thanks!

darkod
December 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM
For ntfs support you need to install ntfsprogs (or ntfs-progs, don't remember exactly).
In terminal try:
sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs

After that you can format as ntfs, provided this was the problem.

xpacker
January 18th, 2010, 05:00 PM
There didn't seem to be a problem using NTFS files -- the install program just didn't offer the option. So I did it this way:

formatted to ext3 during installation
used Gparted afterward to re-format to NTFS