PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu

Bigadada_saba
December 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
How did you guys get introduced to ubuntu linux ?
I found in one day about 4 years ago when mandriva did not have the drivers for my wireless card and never look back i still am using ubuntu and is running a 9.10 and patched ultimate Edition theams in it.

Grifulkin
December 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Last summer I was looking for a 64bit operating system and XP64 sucked, so I was looking on the linux side and came across Ubuntu and their 64bit. It has all been stemmed from there that I love linux now.

And now use Arch almost exclusively.

TBABill
December 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
I have always been a Windows (and DOS back in the day) user, with increasing frustration at Windows with each release. Although the product seemed to improve in many areas, machines slowed more and more as the product required huge amounts of memory and processing power. After buying far too many new systems just to sorta keep up (about 1 new system every 2 yrs) I grew tired of the constant investment just to have such aggravations with Windows, viruses, constant security concerns, etc.

I had heard about Linux but knew absolutely nothing about it. I started researching it 3 weeks ago (yep, brand new noob!) and I have now switched the laptop I use most to it completely (formatted and rid myself of Vista completely). I have 5 total and the other 4 still run Windows, but one has a dual boot of Ubuntu and Vista.

I found Ubuntu because I was a noob and needed it to be as install-friendly as possible. I tried (unsuccessfully for some reason) to use Kubuntu and Mandriva so I keep returning to Ubuntu for its ease. They're stupid issues that I have to solve myself I am sure, but I don't have time so I just go back with Ubuntu till I gain the skill and understanding to try others when they do not install perfectly. Karmic installed flawlessly and my "old" machines run as fast as my newest Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM that has Vista. Now I can keep my machines much longer and still be as fast as anything on Windows.

bruce2000
December 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM
Around 2005 I picked up a 2nd hand copy of a Redhat 5 book and thought I would try installing it.

The problem was that it wasn't available, with that version being old at the time; at least I couldn't find a source to download it from.

So I visited an IRC channel asking for help on where I would be able to get it from... and was told Redhat 5 would be full of security holes and why not try Ubuntu instead.

So I did, and I'm still here today.

Best thing I ever did for my PC.

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
About 5 years ago I built my first custom computer. I was so excited I completely forgot about the operating system. I was so bummed, but decided I'd take my cousins advice and throw on Linux to just get online at least, have email, etc. He was pushing me to Fedora, but I ended up trying out Ubuntu.

Now, years later, I'm still using Ubuntu, though I've switched to KDE land and intend to stay there. I currently have Kubuntu installed on several computers, including my work laptop, main desktop at home, home server, etc. My own parents are even asking me to dual boot their rigs so they can use Kubuntu as well.

A temporary fix ended up resulting in a permanent solution.

Linux_junkie
December 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM
I first tried Linux back in 2003 using Red Hat Linux then later "upgraded" to Mandrake (as it was then known). After a few years away from computers I came back and got a copy of Ubuntu 9.04 that I tried and failed to install on my computer (failed due to the quality of the CD or ISO I received). I then decided to download another copy of the ISO which was 9.10 and never looked back.

I like Ubuntu however I do miss KDE (won't run on my old machine not enough RAM)

Linux_junkie

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM
A friends hubby recommended I use it years ago because of all the problems I'd had with security and viruses on windows....being an amateur I never took heed ..( I thought it would be too difficult for me)...until hey presto out of the blue a few days ago another friend presented me with an ubuntu cd....here I am!...coolest christmas present I ever had!:popcorn::)

juancarlospaco
December 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Please use DESCRIPTIVE titles...
:)

The Real Dave
December 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
I swear this is not a MS bashing post :) I first learned about Ubuntu when my XP install decided to format itself. I lost 2 years of memories. The computer lay like a nice paperweight for a couple of months, and then I remembered I had an Ubuntu 5.10 disk. This was extremely old, and I downloaded and burned 8.04 Hardy (something I learned to do just then), installed and ever since, Ubuntu's been my main OS. It given me so much freedom to learn, much more than I would have ever learned in XP. I'm now looking at a career in software engineering as a result :) I'm currently running 9.04 Jaunty on my main desktop, Crunchbang 9.04 on a second desktop, and 9.10 Karmic Server on my secondary server. After Friday I'll be installing 9.10 Server on my main server too :) I love Ubuntu, and I'm starting to try and learn other Linux OSs, currently installing openSUSE

Georgia boy
December 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
I've always been learning different things. One day a friend told me about Knoppix. He made a live cd for me and I tried it. Didn't really like that. But got to talking to someone else and we discussed various OS. He burned me a live cd of Ubuntu 8.04. Tried it and played around with it. That plus talking to some of the guys and gals here on the forums convinced me that I should go ahead and install it as a dual boot. Did that and am really liking it. Been with it for a little over a year now. When next LTS comes out will do a complete install and go from there. Good OS.

Tom

autonomy
December 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM
How'd you find out about Ubuntu? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1318725) and I second the plea for descriptive titles.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
I started using it for an OS class at school. I wasn't really impressed but later decided to dabble in the arts by installing it on my primary machine. Since then I've been in love. It's funny that when I first started using Linux I felt insecure because I like to have a antivirus etc. telling me exactly what is on my pc. I tried Windows again the other day and found it quite boring and I felt very insecure. :)

Shibblet
December 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Someone told me about an operating system called gOS. I downloaded the LiveCD and gave it a whirl. It was pretty fast, had a dock, came with OpenOffice and such. I was really impressed by the fact that it was free.

Then I found out it was a "Ubuntu" derivative, and I decided to download Ubuntu and give it a whirl too. I downloaded Intrepid Ibex 8.10, and haven't really looked back since.

My initial month with it was really confusing, and I kept thinking I would "just go back to Windows". But I started learning how things worked in Ubuntu, and how much simpler things could be.

I started distro-hopping at this point too. Let's give SuSE a try, let's run Puppy Linux, what about PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Fedora, Sabayon, etc. etc. etc. I finally came back to Ubuntu, and settled on the KDE version, Kubuntu.

I've been happy there since Jaunty 9.04.

peter d
December 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
My old PC was going slower and slower - switch on make a cup of tea, that sort of thing. M$ withdrew support for my OS and I couldn't afford a new PC so, having heard Linux mentioned somewhere, noticed the Linux Format Magazine had just published a "Get Started with Linux" Special. I bought it, tried Ubuntu Dapper Drake (6.04), loved it and have never looked back.

Never missed Windows, don't see myself going back now.

Psumi
December 23rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
I introduced myself to it. I originally found linux through an Operating Systems Class at college, and KNOPPIX was my first distro, then MEPIS, then I found Ubuntu and have basically stayed with it.

That's how I got introduced.

pricetech
December 23rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Benn dabbling with different flavors of Linux for about 10 years. Seems I first heard about Ubuntu from DistroWatch when I was just browsing to see what was out there. Tried it and liked it.

Gizenshya
December 23rd, 2009, 03:12 AM
I first used Dapper Drake (6.04), but only for a short while, because of some hardware issues and I couldn't get it working with NTFS. I finally got one of my external drives to automount, and then I accidentally deleted the desktop link to it and could never get it back. So I just gave up. ATM I don't remember how I heard of Ubuntu...

I rediscovered Ubuntu via youtube. I don't remember what I was searching for (maybe a vid for some tech I saw on TED (http://www.TED.com)), but I followed a bunch of vids and I ended up looking at desktop effects. I saw Compiz and was amazed. I didn't realize it was actually available at first (I thought it was a tech demo). When I finally figured out it was normal people posting the vids, I did my research. After a while, I learned about Compiz and that it came with Ubuntu... so I gave it another shot. The latest at the time was 8.04, and once I got compiz working, I played a bit. NTFS support was 100%, and no more hardware issues.

It was only then when I really decided that Linux is ready for normal people. I'm using 9.04 now, and I'm going to download 9.10 whenever I get access to a decent connection (probably the next few days).

A very good friend of mine also lusted after Compiz at first sight. After about 2 mins of showing the effects, telling how much Ubuntu costs, and the philosophy behind it, he stopped me and said he had heard enough-- he wanted it! I talked to him not long ago and he said the only times he's booted to windows since then is when he forgot to select Ubuntu from GRUB. lol