PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Automatically starting Compiz plugins.

marshall.robert
December 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to start Compiz plugins, that have no "auto-start" feature, automatically at login, for example. Being able to start them on specific times and dates would be a real bonus.

I am mainly thinking about the Snow plugin, but I am hoping it could be expanded to others in the future.

I thought that this could probably be achieved with a script, but I know nothing about Linux scripts.

Thanks,
Rob.

marshall.robert
December 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Bump

dougrussell081869
January 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Well, this is an old post, but I was wondering the same thing and google didn't turn up any answers so I came up with a solution myself. First off, I am running Gentoo with XFCE, but I doubt it matters. I had the compiz DBUS plugin enabled and I created the following script, which I called toggle-snow...

#!/bin/bash
sleep 2
dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz /org/freedesktop/compiz/snow/allscreens/toggle_key org.freedesktop.compiz.activate string:'root' int32:`xwininfo -root | grep id: | awk '{ print $4 }'`

Then I just have this script execute at login. Maybe there is a more elegant solution, but this worked for me.