PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with USB Mobile broadband?

Defiant Rat
December 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
I set my old computer up with ubuntu (9.10) and gave it to my Grandparents. They're getting the hang of it, but would like to be able to access the internet.

For what they will use it for, i dont think it is worth them getting a contract, so i am thinking of getting them pay as you go mobile broadband.

I was wondering if anyone had got one of these working reliably in karmic, and which network provider and modem you are using (Im in the UK). Im looking at 3 (http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/?modem=1&id=1403) at the moment as the reception seems best for my area.

Cheers. :)

Linux_junkie
December 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hello, I'm using mobile broadband with T-mobile on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic). Don't have any problems with connection since I've learned that to get Gnome (network manager) to use the modem is to eject the device as a cd-rom drive. Once you eject it as a cd-rom drive network manager then picks it up as a modem.

Linux_junkie :)

t0p
December 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Huawei E160X, marketed by Vodafone Pay & Go as K3565. Works fine.

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, didn't read OP correctly. I'm using 9.04. Dunno about 9.10. Disregard my post.

Plumtreed
December 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM
It shouldn't be a problem. I used 3 in the UK but I suppose it depends on the USBmodem as to whether it will work or not. My Huawei E160G worked 'out-of-the-box' and the effectiveness is very much related to your region. In large areas it gets good 'reception' which may be affected by by peak time traffic.In some places I had the dongle dangling out of windows to improve the reception.

The next time I might use BT because they offer a similar thing but they have a deal to share via units installed in some hotels and motels. You get more consistent results if you are near one of these locations. Google for more info.

From what I remember, they also give a pretty good deal on a modem if you have an existing land-line phone service.

Ji Ruo
December 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Gnome's network manager will pick it up automatically in 9.10 - easy. I use 3 prepaid here in Australia.

rpalmer47
November 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have just installed Ubuntu 10 (?) The ZTE mf626 with Telstra, Australia works a dream, until I plug my SAmsung A410 phone into the USB to charge it when the Dongle disconects and the Phone becomes a dongle. That is very clever but it is not what I want. Any suggestions. Bob Palmer

Johnsie
November 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Three is by far the best dongle to use in the UK. I'm the programmer at my company and people are always bringing me latops to fix. The O2 dongles are the worst I have seen.

Megaptera
November 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I've used 3 mobile around the UK on 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10 with no problems.

RSSeoSolution
November 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I've used 3 mobile around the UK on 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10 with no problems.
What about speed ?

With mobile broadband you are getting speed like normal (Optical) broadband connection because i did not use till now mobile broadband because some one told me that speed is not like optical.

Thanks

Megaptera
November 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Not measured speed, but seems as fast as 'wired' (not fibreoptic) connection - certainly fast enough for browsing, email etc. Not tried downloads as there's a monthly limit anyway as I've the cheapest pkg (£10 month).

gradinaruvasile
November 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
The speed varies depending on the traffic on your area (cell) and the signal quality.
Do not count on a steady connection via 3g. You can get random disconnects now and then and can have high latency occasionally.

bouncingwilf
November 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Set up a three mobile dongle on Saturday, After I got past the unmount as CD trick it was a doddle (on 10.04) and works a treat. I've bought it to enable remote access on my boat computer ( and another in Ireland) and find it is no trouble to ssh through ( using the 3 mobile broadband dongle on the server side). This may be worth noting as it means no router firewall into your server so you'll have to make sure all other safeguards are in place.

Bouncingwilf.

m4tic
November 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'll never buy a usb modem but most of my friends have them, one has an hspa+ model working out of the box in 9.10. since i'm likely to always carry my phone with me than a dongle, i'm able to get 5mbps down tethered from my nokia