PDA

View Full Version : Newer programs and updates leave Ubuntu 9.04 users behind

dmillerw
December 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Lately I've been seeing some cool programs, and updates that just don't work with Ubuntu 9.04.

This is a problem for me because Karmic is much slower for me then any other version so far.

Is there nothing I can do, am I stuck with programs suffering from bugs that I can never see fixed?

Psumi
December 21st, 2009, 07:24 AM
Also, for those wanting to give support by saying, "Just add a jaunty PPA or find someone that will compile otherwise..."

I tried that once... with xsplash in jaunty. But turns out after installing xsplash in jaunty, I didn't know how to configure it, so it was installed, just it wouldn't work.

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
Have you identified the reasons why 9.10 is sluggish on your box? Is it a general feeling or has got to do with something specific, say when you are browsing, or watching movies etc.?

dmillerw
December 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM
Its just all-around sluggish, everything I do is slower.

cariboo
December 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
I just had a look at the thread you started in General Help. It would help if you gave more details. What type of hardware, and what you have tried, to find out why it is running slower, would be a good starting point.

dmillerw
December 21st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hardware:

Pentium 4 2Ghz processer
NVidia GeForce 6200 256VRAM (I did install the drivers avalible under "Hardware Drivers"
1280MB of RAM

I havn't really tested anything to figure out why it was so slow, probably should have...

earthpigg
December 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Pentium 4 2Ghz processer
NVidia GeForce 6200 256VRAM (I did install the drivers avalible under "Hardware Drivers"
1280MB of RAM

yeah, ubuntu-desktop is too much for that system to handle with any responsiveness.

Linux, however, is not. in fact, Ubuntu is not to much for that system. just that pretty brown GNOME ubuntu-desktop with its pretty applets and all that stuff.

compare how long these 4 lists are to see what i am talking about:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ubuntu-desktop
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-core
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/xfce4
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/lxde

the differences between the four are a matter of pretty brown eye candy but, again, look at how different the lengths of the four lists are. all will run the same apps. lower on the list means more stuff is left for you to do and not done behind the scenes, but will be more responsive to pointing and clicking and run whatever it is you want to run faster. its give and take. a choice only you can make.

willing to do a command line install and let us walk you through a few 'sudo apt-get install ...' commands and other minor tweaking that will allow the system to not waste effort on maintaining pretty desktop applets, but devote much more of that RAM and CPU power you do have to the applications you want to run?

google around. ubuntu-desktop, gnome, xfce, lxde. we will walk you through your choice. o, and ubuntu-desktop is what you are currently using. note that you will still be using ubuntu whichever you choose.

dmillerw
December 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
yeah, ubuntu-desktop is to much for that system with any responsiveness.

Come again?

Anyway, are you basically saying that creating a minimal install of Karmic and then adding the stuff I need will work better then downloading the generic Desktop CD?

If so, could you or someone else walk me through the basic apps required to have a functional Ubuntu install?

dmillerw
December 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
How well would gnome-core + whatever apps I needed run.

I'd rather not use XFCE or other WM because I've grown quite used to Gnome, I know my system can handle it well. (It does at least now, on 9.04)

myusername
December 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hardware:

Pentium 4 2Ghz processer
1280MB of RAM/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=earthpigg;8534978]yeah, ubuntu-desktop is too much for that system to handle with any responsiveness.

umm what? his desktop is lightyears better than mine and mine run ubuntu just fine

earthpigg
December 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
sudo apt-get install xorg gnome-core firefox synaptic empathy gdebi gdm network-manager jockey-gtk

that will probably get you want, from a command line only install.

replace empathy with pidgin if you like.

gdebi lets you double click on .deb's to install or reinstall them. completely optional.

gdm is the login screen.

jockey-gtk is the 'hardware drivers' app in system -> administration.

add evince if you wish evince - thats the 'document viewer'

modified from what i wrotehere (http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/home/notes-to-myself), if you are interested.

if there is anything else you want, but can't find the package name... post back and we will let you know.

umm what? his desktop is lightyears better than mine and mine run ubuntu just fine

and he will still be running ubuntu. i run ubuntu, too, even though i haven't used an official .iso outside of VirtualBox in ages.

also, your definition of 'responsive' and 'just fine' may differ from his. individuals have individual needs and desires. nothing wrong with that. it's all about choice. if he says ubuntu-desktop is to slow for him, then ubuntu-desktop is to slow for him. period. in my opinion. :D

TheNessus
December 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hardware:

Pentium 4 2Ghz processer
1280MB of RAM

I havn't really tested anything to figure out why it was so slow, probably should have...
get the newer 185. driver from the Nvidia website and install it, for your own good.

t0p
December 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
To respond to the thread's title: it is usual practice for older versions to be "left behind" by new software and updates to the new version. Older versions get security and incremental updates, but do not receive new versions of apps as a matter of course.

It is possible to get the newer versions of some apps by activating the 'backports' repositories. But not all apps are found there.

I realise this discussion has gone on to talking about how the OP might best upgrade his machine. But I thought the point should be made, if only to inform other members reading the thread.

Zlatan
December 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Could it be reasonable to do a clean Karmic install? I can guess that sluggishness could come after upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10?

dmillerw
December 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Alright thanks for the help, one thing though, can I install and test this on a second computer, then use remastersys to create an install cd for use on my main pc?

earthpigg
December 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Alright thanks for the help, one thing though, can I install and test this on a second computer, then use remastersys to create an install cd for use on my main pc?

you certainly can.

Could it be reasonable to do a clean Karmic install? I can guess that sluggishness could come after upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10?

very real possibility that will go a long way towards solving your problems.

dmillerw
December 22nd, 2009, 05:36 AM
OK, just wanted to say thanks again, and to say that 9.10 is going much faster now that I've created a minimal install, it took a little while to get everything working, but it does.

00ber n00b
December 22nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
You should try arch! LOL Sorry, couldn't resist.

sudoer541
January 21st, 2010, 03:37 AM
One strange thing about this:

open source programs such as firefox do not work on old version of ubuntu.
But, nero a closed source app works from ubuntu 5.10 to ubuntu 10.04....weird!!!!!!!!