PDA

View Full Version : Correct Pronunciation Questions

Cooter2543
December 21st, 2009, 04:59 AM
What is the correct way to say SATA? Is it sah-tah like "santa", or say-tah like "satan?" I have google searched it, but I get mixed results from different sites, and the people here seem more knowledgeable than other sites.

Secondly, how would you say GUI? Do you spell it out, or just say 'graphical user interface,' or would you say 'goo-ey'? LOL

OK last question, what is the proper way to say Ubuntu? Is it oo-boon-too, or uh-bun-too?

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM
For me, it's:

saytah

goo-ey

~sHyLoCk~
December 21st, 2009, 05:10 AM
Ubuntu [pronounced /uːˈbuːntuː/] ie. oo-BOON-too

Hwæt
December 21st, 2009, 05:14 AM
What is the correct way to say SATA? Is it sah-tah like "santa", or say-tah like "satan?" I have google searched it, but I get mixed results from different sites, and the people here seem more knowledgeable than other sites.

I pronounce it /ˈsætə/

I pronounce the a as in apple and I reduce the second a to a schwa (uh sound), as is common in American English (Especially in my southern dialect).

Secondly, how would you say GUI? Do you spell it out, or just say 'graphical user interface,' or would you say 'goo-ey'? LOL

Every programming manual I've ever read says "goo-ey". Plus, my friend Manuel calls it "goo-ey", too.

OK last question, what is the proper way to say Ubuntu? Is it oo-boon-too, or uh-bun-too?

oo-boon-too

Speaking of which, I really think that Mark Shuttleworth should've anglicized that word prior to introducing it as the name of the OS. It really should be ooboontoo in spelling. The last things English needs are poorly spelt words.

autonomy
December 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM
I second or third all of the above except for the second SATA. My teacher taught me to pronounce it say-tah as in Satan and to change all of my permissions to 666. (just kidding)

Firepower-EX
December 21st, 2009, 05:36 AM
Personally,

I pronounce SATA as Sah-Tah
I spell out GUI.
It's oo-boon-to.

Simon17
December 21st, 2009, 05:39 AM
Gee You Eye
You Bun Two

LowSky
December 21st, 2009, 05:52 AM
Me and my friends always say: yew-bun-too, we know its wrong but it sounds so right.

SATA is Say-tah, but when in doubt just say serial A.T.A.

Goo-eee, or G.U.I., or Graphical interface (we drop user)

CLI is always pronounces using the Letters, never say it as a word.

Linux is LYNN-UCKS, not LINE-OX... I knew this guy who always said it the latter way annoyed the crap outta me, they guy, not how he talked, ok that too.

ASUS -- is actually AH-SUSE not A-SUS. Supposedly ASUS is shortened from the word pegasus. But because of my American dialect even that word sounds like A-SUS.

Gentoo is Ghen-too not Jen-too, think Ghengis Khan when saying it.

And that concludes my lesson...

~sHyLoCk~
December 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM
Gentoo is Ghen-too not Jen-too, think Ghengis Khan when saying it.

The gentoo FAQ says:

Gentoo is a species of small fast penguin, pronounced "gen-too" (The "g" in "gentoo" is a soft "g", as in "gentle".)
So I think JEN2 is correct.
Btw I'll add my wisdom as well :D
SUSE is prononounced as Soo-Saa and not Soo-say

Exodist
December 21st, 2009, 08:27 AM

Correct way is to say "Serial A T A".

Gizenshya
December 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM
I pronounce it /ˈsætə/

I pronounce the a as in apple and I reduce the second a to a schwa (uh sound), as is common in American English (Especially in my southern dialect).

Every programming manual I've ever read says "goo-ey". Plus, my friend Manuel calls it "goo-ey", too.

oo-boon-too

Speaking of which, I really think that Mark Shuttleworth should've anglicized that word prior to introducing it as the name of the OS. It really should be ooboontoo in spelling. The last things English needs are poorly spelt words.

Correct on all counts.

But as for the last comment... each language has its own Romanization, and they usually have it for a good reason. There is usually only a problem when people aren't familiar with the Romanization for a particular language (or they don't know what language the word is), so they use use pronunciation from another Romanization standard (like Spanish). The double "oo" may have already been taken for another sound, or it may have been considered too cumbersome, especially if it was the only 'u' sound in the language.

and someone mentioned the CLI. I prefer to use the acronym for Command-Line Interface Terminal. It takes out all the (pronunciation) confusion. But that is just a personal choice.

aldld
December 21st, 2009, 08:38 AM

You could also say serial advanced technology attachment (Yes, I looked up the Wikipedia article to find that out)

Exodist
December 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
You could also say serial advanced technology attachment (Yes, I looked up the Wikipedia article to find that out)
Yes you could, but Advanced Technology Attachment is already known as A T A "ATA". Serial version is just a update of that existing technology. Thus seems proper to me to say Serial A T A. To me its important to sound proper when mentioning these terms. You dont want to sound Ghetto when at work or during a job interview. ;)

Cooter2543
December 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM
OK, I guess there is no right answer to the SATA dilemma then. I always said sah-tah, so I'll just stick with that. Thanks for your answers!

Chronon
December 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM

You could just spell out the initialism "ess-ay-tee-ay". Otherwise, it makes sense to not use the contraction at all and say, "serial advanced technology attachment".

schauerlich
December 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
/sætə/
/dʒiː juː aɪ/
/uːbuːntuː/

t0p
December 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
sah-tah
goo-ee
oo-bun-too
jen-too
guh-nome (rhymes with "home")