PDA

View Full Version : What do you celebrate around this time of year?

Hwæt
December 21st, 2009, 04:48 AM
Given the diverse userbase that makes up these forums, I'm quite curious.

I myself celebrate Christmas.

Simon17
December 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Festivus

chucky chuckaluck
December 21st, 2009, 04:51 AM
vacation

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM
I can never resist the urge to vote for them all when it's multiselect.

Hwæt
December 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM
I can never resist the urge to vote for them all when it's multiselect.

You must have a busy December. :lol:

Hwæt
December 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM
Did the guy who wrote the Windows file copy dialog also write the way this forum figures percentages?

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=140719&stc=1&d=1261368024

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 21st, 2009, 05:03 AM
@chucky
lol

Sanja Matsuri , Tokyo - when i am there at the festival time, i always go there with my mom who's half japanese, and my grandparents.
Deepavali, India - From my dad's side, love it.

/edit

Read the title wrong. Didn't see 'this time'. Well not much into the whole Xmas thing myself. But always visit my girlfriend's parents in Münich

Bölvaður
December 21st, 2009, 05:09 AM
I'd vote for christmas, yuletiden and the winter solstice. As christmas is yule but with a nicer name and that holiday is in celebration of the winter solstice anyway... so yeah.

solitaire
December 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Did the guy who wrote the Windows file copy dialog also write the way this forum figures percentages?

lol!!

Think that guy works at Fox News now!!!

p.s.
I celabrate only "Yule" & "Hogmanay" as a proud Scotsman!^_^:lolflag:

Icehuck
December 21st, 2009, 05:17 AM
Festivus

Oh and if I'm not celebrating Festivus I'm celebrating the fact that I have food. To do this I take pictures of myself eating lots of food and send them to people who are starving.

I'm kidding.

Hwæt
December 21st, 2009, 05:18 AM
Think that guy works at Fox News now!!!

XD

That poll that added up to 120% cracked me up when Jon Stewart pointed it out.

Exodist
December 21st, 2009, 05:52 AM
I celebrate Deer Season!!

Groucho Marxist
December 21st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Wookie Life Day

Isengrin
December 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Winter's solstice, and my birthday in january.

Hwæt
December 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I believe this topic needs a yuletide bump.

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Peace and quiet !:guitar:

NoaHall
December 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Nothing.

cascade9
December 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Winter's solstice, and my birthday in january.

So close, but you must be one of those northern hemisphere barbarians. [-X

Yea verily, it is summer solstice for the righteous! Summer! :biggrin:

I also try to celebrate the end for tacky christmas music for another year, and the start of the end of sweat season. ;) (the end of the end of sweat season could be as far away as may)

Maheriano
December 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM

That happens when you can select more than one answer. It's multiselect.

This time of year I celebrate something very important........snowboarding season.

HappinessNow
December 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Winter Solstice

Isengrin
December 22nd, 2009, 05:34 AM
So close, but you must be one of those northern hemisphere barbarians. [-X

Yea verily, it is summer solstice for the righteous! Summer! :biggrin:

Hell yeah, I'll conquer your land with my army of wolf-mounted, fur-clad nordic warriors, rape your women and eat your children. >D

Ozitraveller
December 22nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Frohe Weinachten!

Frak
December 22nd, 2009, 06:03 AM
XD

That poll that added up to 120% cracked me up when Jon Stewart pointed it out.
Don't add up the percentages. The poll means "An average of each person voted for this."

1 person votes for 1, 3, and 5, those will have 100% each, 2 and 4 will have 0%.

The poll is right, you're reading it wrong.

jrusso2
December 22nd, 2009, 06:06 AM
Festivus, I got my aluminum pole up early and I can't wait for the airing of the grievances this year.

handy
December 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Christianity is not even on the horizon re. the celebration of the community spirit shared by my family & friends. (bar one member, & she is not given a hard time in any way shape or form.)

Our celebration is apolitical & a religious.

The coca-cola modified Santa Claus has no sway around us either.

We basically work at appreciating & recognising all that we really should be grateful for in our lives & the rest that we may individually be conscious of in life the universe & everything.

So its a pretty light hearted affair really. :)

fromthehill
December 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
5 dec - sinterklaas: some guy with a beard and hat that comes from Spain with a steamboat with his black piet's(they're black because they've climbed through chimneys.).
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8225/sinterklaas.jpg
kids put their shoes at the chimney (or wherever their parents say they have to) every night until dec-5 when they get presents and the guy leaves to spain.

25-26 dec - christmas: another guy with a beard and a hat that gives presents to kids

I don't celebrate anything, I just work alle those days

cascade9
December 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hell yeah, I'll conquer your land with my army of wolf-mounted, fur-clad nordic warriors, rape your women and eat your children. >D

Wolves? You are gonna need a boat. A big boat. Fur-clad? Really, you dont want to do that. You'll melt. Even in winter LMAO. Where I am, I might see 0c for a few days a year, just before dawn in midwinter. If I'm lucky...

BTW, if you notice an extra warrior, dont mind, I'm just trying to blend in (and with my family background and appearance, that should be easy) :biggrin:

As for the women and children...OK, women and children 1st works for me, finally!

Hwæt
December 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Wolves? You are gonna need a boat. A big boat. Fur-clad? Really, you dont want to do that. You'll melt. Even in winter LMAO. Where I am, I might see 0c for a few days a year, just before dawn in midwinter. If I'm lucky...

BTW, if you notice an extra warrior, dont mind, I'm just trying to blend in (and with my family background and appearance, that should be easy) :biggrin:

As for the women and children...OK, women and children 1st works for me, finally!

My "barbarian ancestors" conquered your entire continent and set up the whole foundation upon which your country was founded. ;)

How's that for barbarianism?

cascade9
December 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
My "barbarian ancestors" conquered your entire continent and set up the whole foundation upon which your country was founded. ;)

How's that for barbarianism?

Ditto for yours LOL. (well, apart from central america, you guys really let the side down there)

BTW, nice work on the 'Indian' problem. Thats barbarism for you (we did it the easy way, nowhere near as many bullets, more poisoned water supplies and infected blankets here).

DarkLilith
December 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Yule/Winter Solstice for me, though my family is slightly more traditional, or rather, have a christmas tree and do presents. Who doesn't like presents though?

I also enjoys the foods though! mmm...

Hwæt
December 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Ditto for yours LOL. (well, apart from central america, you guys really let the side down there)

Mexico and Argentina are really shaping up to be developed, tbh. Although, the corruption in Mexico's government is slowing progress down there.

BTW, nice work on the 'Indian' problem. Thats barbarism for you (we did it the easy way, nowhere near as many bullets, more poisoned water supplies and infected blankets here).

Believe it or not, the majority of white Americans have some degree of Amerindian genes in them. Sad sad thing that we did to the poor Amerindians. :(

Eisenwinter
December 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Nothing.

BrokenKingpin
December 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
It used to be Christmas, but now I don't really celebrate anything around this time of year. Christmas is just too commercial. I usually go on vacation this time of year to avoid it.

befana
December 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Nothing.
OP, put "Nothing" as an answer in the poll.

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Even though it has no religious meaning tome, I still choose to celebrate x-mas.
I see it as a goodwill towards mankind sort of thing. A day for us to forget our differences, and give unselfishly. I decorate some, but not a lot.
I know I have some indian blood, but I don't know how far back. Other than that, mostly british and german.

hellion0
December 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Solstice.

handy
December 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
5 dec - sinterklaas: some guy with a beard and hat that comes from Spain with a steamboat with his black piet's(they're black because they've climbed through chimneys.).
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8225/sinterklaas.jpg
kids put their shoes at the chimney (or wherever their parents say they have to) every night until dec-5 when they get presents and the guy leaves to spain.

25-26 dec - christmas: another guy with a beard and a hat that gives presents to kids

I don't celebrate anything, I just work alle those days

My wife tells me that the story goes, the original Sinterklaas & Black Pete, would put a little, usually edible gift in the children's clogs (left outside at the entrance to the house) if they had been good, or sticks, stones or thistle in the clogs of those that weren't good! lol

cascade9
December 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Mexico and Argentina are really shaping up to be developed, tbh. Although, the corruption in Mexico's government is slowing progress down there.

Believe it or not, the majority of white Americans have some degree of Amerindian genes in them. Sad sad thing that we did to the poor Amerindians. :(

Argentina is south america, not central by any measure. Totally different continent. ;)

Mexico has issues, but IMO a lot of them would be reduced if the US stopped its pointless (and doomed to fail) 'war on drugs'.

I've never actually heard that before, if you have any hard info then I would actually like to see it (not sayign its not true, I'm just curious)

Sad sad thing the west in general did to, well, everybody else. The only people I can think of who didnt get totally shafted by the west was the Maori. I'm not quite sure if thats just the english empire was finally running out of steam, or if it was just luck (BTW, yes, I am aware of issues around the treaty of Waitang, but it at least exists and didnt get ridden over rough-shod like the indian treaties in the US, even if it was ignored by the courts and parliment in NZ till the 1970s)

*edit- I always forget Thailand, they got off pretty well in the colonial period. Compared to everybody else anyway.

Zoot7
December 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Nothing, except the fact I get a few weeks off.

fromthehill
December 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
My wife tells me that the story goes, the original Sinterklaas & Black Pete, would put a little, usually edible gift in the children's clogs (left outside at the entrance to the house) if they had been good, or sticks, stones or thistle in the clogs of those that weren't good! lol
don't know much about the original story
he originaly came from turkey instead of spain if I recall correctly :P

havent celebrated anything last years

I hate holidays so much because my family thinks I should pay for the presents for my nephews who get more allowance in a month than I get while I'm working fulltime+40hours unpaid internship(i'm 18 )

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
than I get while I'm working fulltime+40hours unpaid internship(i'm 18 )

This + 9001 awesomesauces + an awesome hammer.