PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the coffee!

ElSlunko
December 21st, 2009, 04:02 AM
Just spilled some coffee on my Wacom bamboo and I think she's dead. The lights were still on when I unplugged & turned it upside down immediately, compressed air'd it out and let it dry and now it's not turning back on.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had coffee attack their periphs and have them frankstein on you (come back to life after a day). I'm hoping my Wacom isn't gone for good because of it's cost, but at least I don't use it as much as I used to.

Cam42
December 21st, 2009, 04:05 AM
Rice! Quick!

No really, drop it in a bowl of (uncooked, seriously) rice.

ElSlunko
December 21st, 2009, 04:11 AM
Done!

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 04:18 AM
I always find a hairdryer speeds things up a bit...:popcorn:

ElSlunko
December 21st, 2009, 04:21 AM
I'll leave it in overnight and see how it is in the morning. My table smells like coffee, mmm.

solitaire
December 21st, 2009, 04:23 AM
What to do....
1)Open it up...
2)dry it out...
3)clean all the gunk out of it (if possible)
4)If you can't dip in warm soapy water and rinse...
5) goto step 2 repeate till it works! lol!!

but it's probably borked, dead, expired, pushing up dasies, kicked the bucket & meeting it's maker....

...you know broken! so you got nothing to loose by opening it up and giving the above a go... ^_^

bit of a "heath and safety" notice....
Make sure it's never plugged into ANYTHNG! when wet or damp or even thinking it might be wet!! That leads to the magic blue smoke escaping and it never working again......

ElSlunko
December 22nd, 2009, 05:29 AM
Works now! Thanks for the tip guys.

Cam42
December 22nd, 2009, 05:36 AM
Works now! Thanks for the tip guys.

Nice! Glad it worked for you! Wacom tablets aren't cheap.

psycosmyth
December 22nd, 2009, 06:06 AM
Too bad it's not like a remote for a tv. I have washed mine of goo many times. The board is sealed, so if you dry it quickly, it's just fine.
There needs to be an emergency power dump circuit to protect delicate components in case of a short from shock or liquid.
Crap, I just invented something again. Well it's your's now.

Marvin666
December 22nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Once i spilled water on a laptop. It immediately shut down, and whenever power was connected I heard a bubbling noise from the side. I took it apart to the bare motherboard, and cleaned it thoroughly, and let it dry. The thing actually booted when re assembled. There was a fair amount of liquid inside the case...

juancarlospaco
December 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Give it to me, i can repair these lady and use it

Icehuck
December 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Once i spilled water on a laptop. It immediately shut down, and whenever power was connected I heard a bubbling noise from the side. I took it apart to the bare motherboard, and cleaned it thoroughly, and let it dry. The thing actually booted when re assembled. There was a fair amount of liquid inside the case...

Remember, water conducts electricity, and usually it causes a short in the board. Unless it has time to "eat" away at the equipment it won't have long term effects. As long as you don't try to power it on and the spill didn't cause smoke your equipment will be fine.