PDA

View Full Version : Satelite Dish Reliability

sports fan Matt
December 20th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm thinking of getting and switching to Direct TV..

-How good is the signal? I've heard they can be good or bad, depending on weather..is this still the case? Does the quality matter (as I was explained by a rep) depending on the type of dish?

-NFL Sunday Ticket. How much more a month is this package, does anyone know?

-my plan would be $39.99 till 2011 with waived actvation/free DVR and I'd get a free $100 gift card.

Doing this cause cable is unreliable and prices for my only carrier have gone up. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

tgalati4
December 20th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Texas is lower latitude than most of the US, so I would presume a stronger signal. However some of the local channels are beamed with directional antennas and the signal strength can be spotty. Find a neighbor with DirectTV; check the rooftops. Bring some beer and watch a ballgame. That should give you an idea.

Your best signal will probably come from an 8-bowtie UHF antenna pointed at your city's antenna mountain. It's less compressed than anything from DirectTV, U-verse, VIOS, your cable company.

Cuddles McKitten
December 20th, 2009, 11:20 PM
My parents got a satellite years ago because the cable company didn't serve their area. The only time it goes out is when there's a very, very serious thunderstorm directly overhead.

Georgia boy
December 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I switched to Directv because it has the Korean channels for my wife. I kept the cable for Internet only. I heard that MSN is used and I'm not too keen on that. A co-worker switched to Quest from cable. Qwest uses Directv for their package if I'm right. They also use the MSN and she has had nothing but trouble with her setup. Emails being sent back saying that she has her system full etc. For some reason she don't like the Directv. I personally like it. As I said, I only kept cable for the Internet. Other than that I really like the dish. Never had any problems with it since I've had it for about two years.

Tom

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I'm thinking of getting and switching to Direct TV..

-How good is the signal? I've heard they can be good or bad, depending on weather..is this still the case? Does the quality matter (as I was explained by a rep) depending on the type of dish?

-NFL Sunday Ticket. How much more a month is this package, does anyone know?

-my plan would be $39.99 till 2011 with waived actvation/free DVR and I'd get a free $100 gift card.

Doing this cause cable is unreliable and prices for my only carrier have gone up. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Really depends on how clear your southbound view is. If you have a clear sky with no obstructions, its golden. Even weather isn't as hard on the dish as it used to be.

jerrrys
December 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
weather (in our case snow) will affect reception, but not very often

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
weather (in our case snow) will affect reception, but not very often
True that, but at least after the snow you can clean the dish off and keep watching. With cable if the lines fall down, your out of luck for weeks. :)

lovinglinux
December 20th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Is it HD? If yes, then I feel robbed. I have a very basic plan for that price (only 23 channels, not counting audio and free-to-air), it is not HD, has a lot of video compression and doesn't come with DVR. Not to mention that most of the programming are reruns.

I gave up on Direct TV a long time ago, because their plans were even more expensive. I know I can't compare prices, because I live in Brazil, but its kind of sad.

About your question, it works fine as long as there aren't heavy clouds.

jerrrys
December 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
100 channels, yes hd included, $30 a month, some pay channels free for first 6 months, free equipment and install...direct tv...

edit...i just got informed we are on Dish Satellite

lovinglinux
December 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
100 channels, yes hd included, $30 a month, some pay channels free for first 6 months, free equipment and install...direct tv...

OMG, the HD plans here cost U$ 115 to U$ 170. I'm definitely being robbed.

jerrrys
December 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
how can you afford to eat?

lovinglinux
December 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
how can you afford to eat?

Well, I have canceled the HBO package last month :)

Not to mention the broadband, which I pay U$62 for a 4 M unlimited plan.

sports fan Matt
December 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
Anything is better then over $100 USD for roughly 90 channels and internet that goes out more times that I can count though :)

steveneddy
December 21st, 2009, 01:16 AM
The only time it goes out is when there's a very, very serious thunderstorm directly overhead.

I've been a Dish Network customer for over 10 years.

Aim the dish antennae correctly to get the highest signal and you won't have any issues.

And yes, the only times there was an issue is if the storm cloud blocked the signal, and that only lasted about 10-15 minutes at the most. Many times it was only in the five minute range.

Satellite television is far superior to cable. Get the HD package with a good HD /television and you will never be happier.

sports fan Matt
December 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'm roughly as the crow flies less then 10 miles from downtown ft worth to the north, with a lot of people having dishes. (there are commerical businesses but nothing that I'd think that would really block my view) WE have no skyscrapers around here.

sudoer541
December 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
OMG!!! I want free TV!!! lol you have three options.

option#1
Do you have a TV with digital ATSC tuner? if yes, then try building or buying an outdoor antenna and enjoy local channels 100% free, digital and HD! btw you Americans are lucky! you guys have multi-cast channels and thats cool! Canadians will switch to Digital in september 2011.

option#2
Buy a cheap FTA satellite receiver like a Pansat, Viewsat or Captiveworks and buy a 6' dish and beam it to the following satellites
satmex5, 6
Galaxy 18,19 and 25
AMC 1
btw there are some local channels that are free and legal.

option #3
combine option one and two and use them at the same time to get free tv.
look at Lyngsat to see what channel each satellite carries and point your dish to the sat desired.

note option 1 works even if you have an anlog tv but the picture wont be as clear as digital tv.

btw your dog it cute lol!

sports fan Matt
December 21st, 2009, 02:59 AM
Thank you Sudoer :)

Actually its 39.99 a month with free dvr and 200 channels till 2011. I just want more options for a better price then im paying now

Exodist
December 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM
Thank you Sudoer :)

Actually its 39.99 a month with free dvr and 200 channels till 2011. I just want more options for a better price then im paying now
Thats actually one of the better deals out there..
Only reason I have Cable is due to getting basic cable, 12MB internet and unlimited long distance phone service for 150USD a month.

doorknob60
December 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM
I had Dish Network for a few months, and the only time it didn't work was when the dish got filled with snow. Brushed it off and all was good. I'd assume DirectTV is about the same. I'll stick with cable personally though since Satellite here kinda sucks since no locals and no Comcast Sportsnet (very important to me :P), and our cable provider has tons of HD and reasonable price. But yeah, in my experiences sattelite is pretty reliable.

sports fan Matt
December 21st, 2009, 03:14 AM
forgot to add, they will move with me once for free if i decided to move and no fees (other then taxes)

Exodist
December 21st, 2009, 03:19 AM
forgot to add, they will move with me once for free if i decided to move and no fees (other then taxes)
Most cases with cable you have to pay to have service moved "WHICH IS JUST A BOX COMCAST!" when you move to a new location.
With DishNetwork I moved 2 times and they told me to just bring the box and leave the dish both times. I never had to pay to move or have the dish setup each time.

sports fan Matt
December 21st, 2009, 04:43 AM
Agreed..cable is just too much $

sudoer541
December 21st, 2009, 05:47 AM
Agreed..cable is just too much $

what channels you want to watch?
can you give me a list?
maybe there is a better, cheaper or even free way of getting some channels.

sports fan Matt
December 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Well, i dont have a lot right now. the 39.99 deal direct tv is offering till 2011 on their website are the ones i've wanted but didnt have :)

cariboo
December 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
I have an ExpressVu system, which uses the same hardware as Direct TV. I pay just over $100.00 CDN per month for a full package, including 80 HD channels plus all the regular channels.

I'm at 52° N, and with an 18" dish I get 92% regular def and 100% HD signal, I don't think I've lost the signal once in 2 years, no matter what the weather on the HD side and have had maybe two outages lasting less than 5 minutes on the regular def.

Go for the best quality receiver you can afford, as error correction on newer hardware is much better than with lower end receivers. I have a dual-tuner HD DVR, plus several regular definition receivers, the DVR blows the others receivers away as far as picture quality is concerned.

sports fan Matt
December 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
direct tv will be installed wednesday.

sydbat
December 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have an ExpressVu system, which uses the same hardware as Direct TV. I pay just over $100.00 CDN per month for a full package, including 80 HD channels plus all the regular channels.

I'm at 52° N, and with an 18" dish I get 92% regular def and 100% HD signal, I don't think I've lost the signal once in 2 years, no matter what the weather on the HD side and have had maybe two outages lasting less than 5 minutes on the regular def.

Go for the best quality receiver you can afford, as error correction on newer hardware is much better than with lower end receivers. I have a dual-tuner HD DVR, plus several regular definition receivers, the DVR blows the others receivers away as far as picture quality is concerned.This.

The only time we lost the signal (also ExpressVu) was a couple of weeks ago after a blizzard. Went out and brushed the snow off the dish and...good to go.

Oh, and whenever you see those cable TV commercials that claim to have better reception, never lose the signal, etc, they are BS. Cable companies get their broadcasts from THE SAME SATELLITES as the basic consumer with a dish. And we had way more outages with Shaw (cable) than we have ever had with Bell (ExpressVu).

My $.00002

sudoer541
December 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM

Go for the best quality receiver you can afford, as error correction on newer hardware is much better than with lower end receivers. I have a dual-tuner HD DVR, plus several regular definition receivers, the DVR blows the others receivers away as far as picture quality is concerned.

I think Star choice uses DirecTV hardware not Bell TV. on Your Bell TV remote or receiver you will see the "Echostar Technologies" label. So Bell TV hardware is the same as Dish Network hardware. Correct me if I am wrong, but I havent used Bell TV since 2007!

sudoer541
December 21st, 2009, 06:21 PM
This.

The only time we lost the signal (also ExpressVu) was a couple of weeks ago after a blizzard. Went out and brushed the snow off the dish and...good to go.

Oh, and whenever you see those cable TV commercials that claim to have better reception, never lose the signal, etc, they are BS. Cable companies get their broadcasts from THE SAME SATELLITES as the basic consumer with a dish. And we had way more outages with Shaw (cable) than we have ever had with Bell (ExpressVu).

My $.00002

btw doesint always annoy you when Bell messes up your bill lol?
I gave up Bell TV since 2007 and I use an antenna to get my local channels, since I had Bell TV, I always watched local channels without knowing they were available for free lol. :P:):P:):P

sydbat
December 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
btw doesint always annoy you when Bell messes up your bill lol?
I gave up Bell TV since 2007 and I use an antenna to get my local channels, since I had Bell TV, I always watched local channels without knowing they were available for free lol. :P:):P:):PNot sure what you mean...:P

Yes, every second month or so we're on the phone with them. Thankfully that is the only drawback...so far...knocking on wood right now...at least it is better than the CF that Shaw is...

cariboo
December 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Sudoer541, you're right it is Dish network, not Direct TV. I've never had a problem with my Bell bill. The only problem I've seen is that we hooked my parents up to my dish about 6 months ago, and they are still getting a $3.50 credit note every month. At $.54 a letter, they've just about used up the credit in postage. :)

chris200x9
December 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
btw you Americans are lucky! you guys have multi-cast channels and thats cool! Canadians will switch to Digital in september 2011.

... digital tv is so bad...at least if you don't have an outdoor anttena...

sudoer541
December 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
... digital tv is so bad...at least if you don't have an outdoor anttena...

This is a very basic rule of good reception. indoor antennas cant receive the signal properly because usually the signal is blocked by walls, electronics and other items in your home.
Outdoor antenna can receive far better signal if its installed outside, at a high place and yes the size matters! The bigger the antenna = better reception. You should point your antenna to the trasniting towers. Here in Toronto my antenna is pointed to the CN tower and plus I dont live far from it so the signal is crystal clear from all Toronto Channels. However my signal is still good with minor annoyances for other channels that are outside of Toronto.

Unfortunately I still have an analog TV and the signal is not that bad. most channels are clear as cable but some are in between. I am sure as soon as I buy a digital TV The picture will be a lot better in all channels.

sports fan Matt
December 23rd, 2009, 04:03 PM
being installed as we speak :)

sudoer541
December 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
being installed as we speak :)

How did the installation go, Matt?
How do you like your new DirecTV ?

sports fan Matt
December 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Well, I love it! It's snowing here in North Texas..with Winter weather advisories until 6pm for Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Ellis, Johnson, Rockwall, Hood, Somervell, Hunt, Kaufman, Van Zandt, Erath, Comanche, Hamilton, Lamar, Fannin counties. 1 to 2 inches of snow possible in these areas by evening. (I'm in Tarrant County) and not even as much as a blip on all channels. Also, I have a lot of channels I won't ever use :) Best decision I made this year.

sudoer541
December 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I love it! It's snowing here in North Texas..with Winter weather advisories until 6pm for Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Ellis, Johnson, Rockwall, Hood, Somervell, Hunt, Kaufman, Van Zandt, Erath, Comanche, Hamilton, Lamar, Fannin counties. 1 to 2 inches of snow possible in these areas by evening. (I'm in Tarrant County) and not even as much as a blip on all channels. Also, I have a lot of channels I won't ever use :) Best decision I made this year.

congrats for the service:P. That storm from Texas, is coming to Toronto this evening. :lolflag:

sports fan Matt
December 24th, 2009, 07:54 PM
about 100 miles to my northwest..it is worse, its sleeting & snowing here at present and thank you...

sports fan Matt
December 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM
just an update: after the snow, a collegue of mine who lives about 25 miles to my north reported his direct tv was out (the dish was on his roof). I suspect the snow had caused this, as mine had about a quarter inch of snow on it.

sudoer541
December 31st, 2009, 06:54 PM
just an update: after the snow, a collegue of mine who lives about 25 miles to my north reported his direct tv was out (the dish was on his roof). I suspect the snow had caused this, as mine had about a quarter inch of snow on it.

It looks like he needs to clean his dish. I always recommend that a satellite dish should be installed somewhere that is safe to access (no roofs) unless something is blocking its view.
I know some people install their dish on their fence and it works perfectly. Once the dish signal is blocked by snow, they remove it easily.