PDA

View Full Version : Using your PC as a phone? (not VOIP)

Jucato
February 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM
A few years ago (1998, I believe), I used my neighbor's PC to do some internet research. I remember being able to call my house using their PC (running Win98). There was a program where you could dial a phone number, and the modem (I presume) called that number, using the (internal) microphone and speakers as the receiver.

I was wondering if something like that is possible in Linux. Something to call another phone using my modem, or to receive calls (so I don't have to go running to the phone everytime someone calls). :-k

rudiz
February 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
GnomeMeeting?

Applications>Internet>GnomeMeeting

Jucato
February 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM
well, almost. except for the "purchasing" part. I guess something like that doesn't exist anymore... :(

or maybe I have to check with our local phone company. But I learned another term to search for in Google (PC to phone calls). Thanks. :D

Kimm
February 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Skype works, but then you need to buy Skype out so that costs money to.

Jucato
February 25th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, that was what I was thinking to. And most of this stuff has something to do with VOIP. This was actually what I was looking for (I just found this a while ago, don't know if it will work through wine):

http://www.nch.com.au/dial/index.html

It's something like it lets you use your modem as a phone, use your computer as the dialing pad, and use your headset as the receiver. It's not really VOIP because you are still using the telephone line, probably not connected to the internet. Am I kinda vague or confusing? This has been bothering me since... well since I switched to Linux last December. :D

Mr.X
February 25th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Our ISP is soon having a thing like this, where you can call places for ALOT cheaper. My ISP is really small, so itll probably be CHEAP :)

Kimm
February 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM
we have the same thing here, I dont think we aplied for it though...

BWF89
February 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Same here, we used this program called Ring Central when we had dial up.

Jucato
February 28th, 2006, 12:53 AM
So it's really something we have to apply for huh? Oh well, better contact our ISP. Thanks for the inputs! :D