PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any ideas how to prevent two CRT monitors from interfering?

TheOnlyMrK
December 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I've got a dual screen set-up so obviously both the monitors sit right next to each other with no space in-between them, the one on the right is an older Dell Tritron and has no problems working next to my newer, bigger, flat-screen, eMachines CRT monitor (surprising), but the eMachines has a line rolling down the screen from top to bottom like what you see when you look at a CRT with a digital camera.
Anyone have any ideas how to prevent the interference? I'd love to just buy two LCDs but right now I'm pretty much poor and I'm waiting for LED monitors to catch on and lower in price.

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I've got a dual screen set-up so obviously both the monitors sit right next to each other with no space in-between them, the one on the right is an older Dell Tritron and has no problems working next to my newer, bigger, flat-screen, eMachines CRT monitor (surprising), but the eMachines has a line rolling down the screen from top to bottom like what you see when you look at a CRT with a digital camera.
Anyone have any ideas how to prevent the interference? I'd love to just buy two LCDs but right now I'm pretty much poor and I'm waiting for LED monitors to catch on and lower in price.
Have you tried just moving the VGA cables away from each other? They also may be thin and not shielded enough.

TheOnlyMrK
December 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Have you tried just moving the VGA cables away from each other? They also may be thin and not shielded enough.

Yeah I have, I still have problems with the eMachines monitor when I use the Dell one to plug into my other desktop (thus moving the cables far away from each other)

ratcheer
December 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Could you stand up a piece of sheet metal between the two monitors to try to prevent interference?

Tim

TheOnlyMrK
December 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Could you stand up a piece of sheet metal between the two monitors to try to prevent interference?

Tim

Yeah, I'll just need to find one, or rip a piece off of the abandoned house down the street. Lol.

jerrrys
December 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
will the line go away if you turn off the other monitor?

TheOnlyMrK
December 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
will the line go away if you turn off the other monitor?

Yeah.

fromthehill
December 20th, 2009, 10:38 PM
is there a degauss option in your monitor's menu or is there a button which does that?

TheOnlyMrK
December 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
is there a degauss option in your monitor's menu or is there a button which does that?

Their is, but it didn't help any when I clicked it. It just seems to make the screen "restart". I never even knew what it's for.

EDIT: Just read up what it is ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing#Degaussing_monitors ), interesting to finally know about it, but it doesn't seem to be much help with this problem.

jerrrys
December 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
are the units properly grounded? like maybe using adepter plug

TheOnlyMrK
December 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
are the units properly grounded? like maybe using adepter plug

Yes, they're both plugged into the same surge protector, my entire computer system even has it's own circuit breaker in the house so I don't have to worry about the vacuum, fridge, etc. to mess with my electric.

jerrrys
December 20th, 2009, 10:53 PM
ok, before you run out for some tin. trying holding a piece of foil between them. by you holding it, that should create enough of a ground.

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I'll just need to find one, or rip a piece off of the abandoned house down the street. Lol.
Double layered Aluminum foil may suffice.