PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome vs chromium

Yvan300
December 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
OK so i keep hearing lately that many people have switched to Google chrome's Linux beta once it was released. Most of the converts were using chromium before. So what i wish to know is if there is some difference which draws people to chrome. Last i checked i thought they were the same.

Hetor
December 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Chromium has a blue logo.

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Chromium has a blue logo.slightly different spelling in the name also.

joey-elijah
December 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
slightly different spelling in the name also.

Chromium is a development version of Chrome, essentially. So Google Chrome will always be that little bit more stable, but always a little bit more behind.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
You should really be comparing Chrome/Chromium to Iron. :D

chucky chuckaluck
December 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
brand recognition. choosy mothers choose jif because no one's ever heard of mr. peanut's buttery spread.

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Chromium has a blue logo.

slightly different spelling in the name also.

Chromium is a development version of Chrome, essentially. So Google Chrome will always be that little bit more stable, but always a little bit more behind.

My post was part of collaborative sarcasm. :lolflag:

NoaHall
December 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I use chromium, because it's open source, which I view, and edit.

ihendley
December 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Adblock is working for me in Chrome but not in Chromium (last I checked), so I am using the former.

t0p
December 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Chrome comes packed with oh-my-word-it's-not-spyware-it's-google whereas Chromium is lacking in surveillance functionality.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Chrome comes packed with oh-my-word-it's-not-spyware-it's-google whereas Chromium is lacking in surveillance functionality.

Chromium still is Chrome. Iron is the one lacking all the spyware stuff.

Twitch6000
December 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM

^^^

t0p
December 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM

ooh, I didn't know that. I have been misled.

So Chromium is reporting on me too eh? Luckily I haven't used it since the week I installed the thing.

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM

So Chromium is reporting on me too eh? Luckily I haven't used it since the week I installed the thing.
It's Okay the secret police already know your name, birthday, social security number and all credit card numbers and bank accounts. They should be at your door shortly to take you on a short trip.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Well, as said, Chromium is just a development version of Chrome. :|

Pasdar
December 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
OK so i keep hearing lately that many people have switched to Google chrome's Linux beta once it was released. Most of the converts were using chromium before. So what i wish to know is if there is some difference which draws people to chrome. Last i checked i thought they were the same.

Its exactly the same, I even benchmarked both and you can check its ID when visiting a site.. its the same.. However there is one difference.. the daily builts from Chromium can some times be broken due to them being daily builts... the chrome beta is one that will function according to what you expect from a beta (Google standards, not canonical standards, lol)... everything just functions, and you dont get a daily update for it that will break it.. (e.g. sometimes you dont see menu's, tables, etc)

renkinjutsu
December 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
A regular chromium build (not the ppa) doesn't have the nonfree ffmpeg codecs, but Chrome DOES

but you can always swap out the libffmpegsumo.so

gradinaruvasile
December 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Just disable the stuff under the "Privacy" section (wrench-> Options -> Under the hood). Maybe leave the DNS thing - that i think really helps with what is advertised.

ubulette
December 21st, 2009, 12:02 AM
A regular chromium build (not the ppa) doesn't have the nonfree ffmpeg codecs, but Chrome DOES

but you can always swap out the libffmpegsumo.so

wrong, the two PPAs (daily (https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa/) and beta (https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/beta/)) now have libffmpegsumo.so in two flavors, free and non-free (matching Chrome)

mybodymyself
December 21st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Have no clue whats the difference. As for me I wouldn't go back to Google Chrome or chromium. Since I wasn't really crazy about it. The only browser that I would consider trying again is Opera. Then, do love using MFB (Mozilla Firebox) and have been using it the longest.

markp1989
December 21st, 2009, 12:17 AM

i get sick of reading people bitching about the google "spyware" do you seriously thing that you isp doesnt monitor everything you do regardless of what browser you use?

mybodymyself
December 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
i get sick of reading people bitching about the google "spyware" do you seriously thing that you isp doesnt monitor everything you do regardless of what browser you use?

2nd what markp1989 said here. That goes for other threads on here.

ubulette
December 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM
Well, as said, Chromium is just a development version of Chrome. :|

even if Chrome is based on Chromium and the visible development happens in Chromium, Chromium has releases of its own, aligned on Chrome.

Google provides Chrome in 3 channels, Dev, Beta and Stable (no stable for Linux/Mac yet). Downstream distributions like Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch and many others will ship Chromium aligned on one of those 3 channels (most probably beta, then stable when it appears).

The Chromium package in Ubuntu started more than a year ago with dailies based off trunk, then a "Beta channel PPA" was created almost the same day the Chrome Beta channel appeared, and there's a plan to do the other two channels. That will mean 4 versions available at any given time depending on your taste.

We have no idea what else Google adds on top of Chromium, beside the visible color full icon, installer and bug reporter (and we don't need any of those). We have to believe what they say in their blog and trust them. I like to think they are saying the truth, but otoh, i prefer open softwares so i use Chromium.

Psumi
December 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM

I would be using OpenDNS or something if I was that paranoid. I don't use Chrome for good reason: No NoScript.

mr_raider
December 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
For those of us using chrome, is there a PPA or something to keep receiving updates? The google site only supplies .deb files.

Knowle
December 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
For those of us using chrome, is there a PPA or something to keep receiving updates? The google site only supplies .deb files.It will update through Update Manager. When you install the .deb the Google repository is also setup so update manager grabs everything for chrome unless you do "sudo touch /etc/default/google-chrome" before installing it.

mr_raider
December 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Sneaky!

Knowle
December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Not really, they list it right below the EULA before you download it.

Note: Installing Google Chrome will add the Google repository so your system will automatically keep Google Chrome up to date. If you don't want Google's repository, do "sudo touch /etc/default/google-chrome" before installing the package.http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html

renkinjutsu
December 23rd, 2009, 02:02 AM
wrong, the two PPAs (daily (https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa/) and beta (https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/beta/)) now have libffmpegsumo.so in two flavors, free and non-free (matching Chrome)

I excluded the ppa in my post, but it was put in parenthesis

mr_raider
December 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Anyone know the address for the repository? I can't seem to find it in my sources file.

bayusetiaji
December 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I ever used Chromium, but there was a litle crash wit Firefox. my Firefox didn't run

lukeiamyourfather
December 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
There's a lot of speculation and confusion in this thread. Why not let the developers explain it because they know it best.

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/google-chrome-chromium-and-google.html

Tumpster
December 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Is Chromium broke for anyone else? Ever since an update about 2-3 days ago i've had trouble with Chormium especially on flash sites with it either closing out automatically or the website failing, etc. Anyone?

Yvan300
December 25th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Yeah i had problems with gmail complaining about lack of features due to a network problem, but these sought of things should be expected seeing that chromium is a developing project.

buster2209
January 19th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Anyone know the address for the repository? I can't seem to find it in my sources file.

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

baddog144
January 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I use Chromium because it's open source, which I can't be assed to look at ;)

kwabou
January 24th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I use Chromium. I kept getting the Aw, snap! page with one of the builds for practically EVERY site, but it's fixed now. Hurray for daily builds! While I was getting the errors I tried Chrome Beta, but the download pane never showed up and I couldn't install extensions... Could be that I'm using x64 Ubuntu 9.10...

k64
January 24th, 2010, 06:25 AM
The difference is that Chromium is C++ source code whereas Chrome is a binary compiled from it.

I personally have built Chromium before, in the form of Chromium OS (yes, the Chrome OS source code) and have used it full-throttle on my Acer Aspire One.

cariboo
January 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM
THis thread is about the chromium browser, not Chrome OS. have a look here (https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa). Please do some research before you post.

lpanebr
November 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
On ubuntu 10.04 I used Google Chrome. After going to 11.10 it did not install so I switched to chromium-browser. The only thing I noticed is that some youtube videos play without audio.

Today I tried to install Google Chrome again and it installed ok. So I searched and found the link below.

Differences between Google Chrome and chromium-browser: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

I am going back to Google Chrome now.

craig10x
November 21st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Chrome also has it's own built in pdf reader...which comes in very handy if you want to read a web pdf file without downloading (of course you can then right click and download it if you desire)...

Also, Chrome has it's own (up to date) flash player and you generally get newer versions faster as well...and as was mentioned, it automatically adds the updater to your update manager...

I prefer it over Chromium...always seems to work a bit better and faster... ;)

The tracking arguement is silly...yahoo and google search engines track you anyway so what's the difference? :) All that does is help them target the web page ads to your interests...that's really it...i could care less (lol)...

anna2112
November 24th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I use chrome..and I dont want to change, Im satisfied !!!

tjeremiah
November 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I tried chrome the only day and the only difference I spotted was that my 60 Minutes app finally worked. Overall the performance feels the same so I deleted it and went back to Chromium.