PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Java Please

whitetimer
December 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hi All

This is my first step into using Linux having given up on Windows. I have just installled Ubuntu (and love it so far), but now i am having real difficulties installing Java JDK & JRE

I have searched the forum and online, tried a few things and it does not seem to want to work ... I would like to install jdk6 update 17 from Sun.

Would someone please be able to explain to me what i need to do to achieve this goal

Many Thanks

Whitetimer :(

Cheesemill
December 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-sdk

oldos2er
December 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
There are instructions here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml

The only thing you need to do differently is to run sudo -i instead of su. Because Ubuntu disables the root account, su won't work on Ubuntu.

Just FYI, you'll want to download the self-extracting binary.

I'm assuming you're aware that a slightly older version of Java is in the repositories.

whitetimer
December 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
There are instructions here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml

The only thing you need to do differently is to run sudo -i instead of su. Because Ubuntu disables the root account, su won't work on Ubuntu.

Just FYI, you'll want to download the self-extracting binary.

I'm assuming you're aware that a slightly older version of Java is in the repositories.

Hi oldos2er

Yes i did see the older version in the repositories, does it not matter then whether JDK/JRE are the latest release ?

I will try your suggestion, will that automatically configure the environment variable too ?

Many thanks for your help

Whitetimer

whitetimer
December 20th, 2009, 07:49 PM
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-sdk

Hi Cheesemill

Many thanks, but i thought that was an outdated version. Will try the latest release first

Whitetimer

oldos2er
December 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
does it not matter then whether JDK/JRE are the latest release ?

That depends on what Java programs you need to run.

whitetimer
December 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
That depends on what Java programs you need to run.

Well nothing specific really ... :P

oldos2er
December 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
If I were you, I'd install the Java packages in the repositories first, and see how they work for you. You can always manually install Sun's java later on, if you need to.