PDA

View Full Version : One of Best Buy's finer moments. </sarcasm>

Roasted
December 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
http://consumerist.com/2009/12/geek-squad-wouldnt-honor-my-netbooks-protection-plan.html

My four month-old netbook's touchpad and power adapter all stopped working.

The manager of the Geek Squad informed me that installing Ubuntu Linux on
my machine voided my warranty, and that I could only have it serviced if the
original Windows installation was restored. Furthermore, he insisted that the
touchpad and power adapter had been broken because I installed Linux.

"Look at the last page of the warranty. We can refuse service for any
reason we want, and based on our conversation yesterday, I will not service
your computer." He alerted security and ordered me to leave the store.

Yay for the ultimate ID-10-T error - brought to you by.... *dum dum dummmm* BEST BUY!

:guitar:

The Toxic Mite
December 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
That's a very good reason why to avoid Best Buy.

+1

Paqman
December 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
TBH avoiding all the high street tech chains is the way to go.

The Toxic Mite
December 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
TBH avoiding all the high street tech chains is the way to go.

Local computer shops FTW! \\:D/

Biochem
December 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM
http://consumerist.com/2009/12/geek-squad-wouldnt-honor-my-netbooks-protection-plan.html

That part of the warranty is probably illegal (or should be). Call your local consumer protection agency and fill a formal complaint.

Windows Nerd
December 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Thats one dumb geek squad employee....he claims an OS can damage hardware...it CANNOT. Sure the driver may be broken, but (as my cd drive provides a great example) but you can still use it on other OS's and BIOS.

CharlesA
December 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Tbh that sounds by Best Buy. >.<

I don't shop there and there's no way in hell I'd buy a computer from them.
At least the people at Fry's are somewhat honest and knowledgeable.

Dr. C
December 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
That part of the warranty is probably illegal (or should be). Call your local consumer protection agency and fill a formal complaint.

You could also consider fling a compliant with the local Better Business Bureau

Matthewsipod
December 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
tell me about it. there finest moment indeed :(

NoaHall
December 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Why go to a shop like that anyway? Easy enough to fix myself, I'm sure.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Everyone in this forum should file a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission Linking to this article. You can file complaints to FTC by going here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Just press the big FTC Complaint Assistant Box.

I did this a couple of times regarding other matters.

dFlyer
December 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Just my 2 cents on Best Buy. I got a Toshiba from them and within 6 months the motherboard fried using XP professional. I took it back and they replaced the motherboard, took about 10 day. When I got the computer back I put Ubuntu on it and about 6 months later the motherboard fried again. This time I ask them to replace the computer, they said they only replace it if it is returned 3 times. I figured I'd be back in 6 months and will wait. They had it this time for 3 weeks. I picked it up and it had XP back on it when I booted it up. I also got windows cooling system failure notice so I took it back to them. They refused to replace the computer but kept it for another week and returned it. I replaced XP again with Ubuntu and have had it working now for almost 3 years without any problems. Lesson learned DO NOT BUY FROM BEST BUY. There support sucks.

Gary

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Breaking News:

Worst Buy employees uninformed and inept, has poor customer service.

ve4cib
December 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I must just be lucky, because I've never had any problems with Best Buy. I bought an HP laptop from them, and the only time I've had to take it in to get serviced (due to a faulty power supply) it was a simple, painless matter to get it fixed. I plugged the machine in, turned it on, and demonstrated that my merely wiggling the cable the charging light went on and off. "Oh, that's not good. We'll have to send it off to HP to get it repaired."

The service guy I was talking to was a Kubuntu user, and he seemed to know what he was doing. So I filled out the paperwork, left the machine with them, and within a week it had been sent off to HP, fixed, and sent back to me. The only bad part was that HP re-imaged the HD to its factory settings before sending it back (which the guy at Best Buy warned me might happen).

So that's my story. Like I said, maybe I just got lucky. Or maybe the Geek Squad at my local outlet is just made up of better-trained people than the average store.

lisati
December 20th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Just my 2 cents on Best Buy. I got a Toshiba from them and within 6 months the motherboard fried using XP professional. I took it back and they replaced the motherboard, took about 10 day. When I got the computer back I put Ubuntu on it and about 6 months later the motherboard fried again. This time I ask them to replace the computer, they said they only replace it if it is returned 3 times. I figured I'd be back in 6 months and will wait. They had it this time for 3 weeks. I picked it up and it had XP back on it when I booted it up. I also got windows cooling system failure notice so I took it back to them. They refused to replace the computer but kept it for another week and returned it. I replaced XP again with Ubuntu and have had it working now for almost 3 years without any problems. Lesson learned DO NOT BUY FROM BEST BUY. There support sucks.

Gary

The one and only time I've had a laptop serviced, I was extremely happy with the service from Toshiba. Although the problem wasn't officially covered by warranty (relatively minor keyboard damage caused by a stray missile that was disguised as a cigarette lighter, I didn't have the proper parts to hand to attempt repairs myself), they went ahead and repaired it anyway as if it was.

edit: btw I didn't go through "Best Buy"

cprofitt
December 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Best Buy, appears to, hire some of the least intelligent and least technically proficient people in the world for their 'Geek Squad'. Apparently playing the latest XBox game is the only qualification needed.

I once watched as one of the morons told a customer that the SU7300 was not made for Windows 7 because it was single-core and they recommended buying an HP with a T4300 instead. Never hinting that power-consumption (aka battery life) was something to consider. I can't let good people be deceived by morons so I quickly interjected that the SU7300 was a dual core processor and when the sales person said I was wrong I loaded up the Intel processor specs on the web page... he left... the customer thanked me and then we had a good discussion on what they were looking for in a laptop.

madhi19
December 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Not a big surprise remember all the Fud MS sent to Best Buy just before Windows 7 was released. That most have given a few ideas to a few members of the not so Geek Squad!

Roasted
December 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I must just be lucky, because I've never had any problems with Best Buy. I bought an HP laptop from them, and the only time I've had to take it in to get serviced (due to a faulty power supply) it was a simple, painless matter to get it fixed. I plugged the machine in, turned it on, and demonstrated that my merely wiggling the cable the charging light went on and off. "Oh, that's not good. We'll have to send it off to HP to get it repaired."

The service guy I was talking to was a Kubuntu user, and he seemed to know what he was doing. So I filled out the paperwork, left the machine with them, and within a week it had been sent off to HP, fixed, and sent back to me. The only bad part was that HP re-imaged the HD to its factory settings before sending it back (which the guy at Best Buy warned me might happen).

So that's my story. Like I said, maybe I just got lucky. Or maybe the Geek Squad at my local outlet is just made up of better-trained people than the average store.

There's pros and cons, good and bad to every story.

One guy at Circuit City a few years ago told me I simply cannot dual boot 2 operating systems on one computer. I said do you want to call me a liar after I show you how my desktop at home is currently booting 3? Meanwhile at Best Buy, people at least shake my hand and don't bug the **** out of me when I'm hanging around in there.

Regardless, the situation is quite simple. The user in the article had no car, and Best Buy had a deal he acted on. Who wouldn't? I would have done the same thing (minus the part about adding extra warranty to it). He had a 4 month old netbook and knew it was hardware related and wanted it fixed. I don't blame him a single bit.

It's pretty obvious someone higher up in Best Buy realized how badly they were messing up, because another Best Buy (as stated in the article) offered to help out 100% - which should have been done from day 1, but at least Best Buy made somewhat of an attempt to fix the situation.

Even chain stores that may appear evil can still have some good in them here or there. Not that I'm praising Best Buy, but the one by my house definitely stands out as one of the better ones.

Roasted
December 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Best Buy, appears to, hire some of the least intelligent and least technically proficient people in the world for their 'Geek Squad'. Apparently playing the latest XBox game is the only qualification needed.

I once watched as one of the morons told a customer that the SU7300 was not made for Windows 7 because it was single-core and they recommended buying an HP with a T4300 instead. Never hinting that power-consumption (aka battery life) was something to consider. I can't let good people be deceived by morons so I quickly interjected that the SU7300 was a dual core processor and when the sales person said I was wrong I loaded up the Intel processor specs on the web page... he left... the customer thanked me and then we had a good discussion on what they were looking for in a laptop.

So you were just a regular shopper hanging around and helped them out? Man what a way to kindly give them the finger! :lolflag:

murderslastcrow
December 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah, when people have money/continued employment as their motivation, it's really hard to be honest with customers about what they need.

They'd be selling ultra-cheap 512 MB RAM Single Core laptops with Ubuntu on them if that were the case, for the sake of economy.

t0p
December 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
This is what happens when you buy computer equipment from people who don't know frak about computers. The training given to Best Buy assistants probably focuses on pointing customers at the most expensive kit they can afford. Or even what they can't afford - then they* get to sell some credit too.

* the assistants, not the customers... but you knew that anyway, didn't you?

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, when people have money/continued employment as their motivation, it's really hard to be honest with customers about what they need.

They'd be selling ultra-cheap 512 MB RAM Single Core laptops with Ubuntu on them if that were the case, for the sake of economy.

If I recall correctly, ubuntu computers cost just as much as windows machines at times:

http://www.zareason.com
http://www.system76.com

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have seen a lot of issue and complaints from best buy in regards to linux. Much of this is really fulled by microsofts FUD training they give to best buy employees. The sad part is since most dont know any better, they really believe the FUD.

My question in regards to recent Intel ETC and FTC law suites. When will they turn their actions back on Microsoft. Our FTC may already have a over sear to existing MS charges. It may only be as easy and getting proof (Persons Name, Store Location, Date and Time) and turning that information over in a sworn affidavit to get someone on MSs rear end about this mess again. Again in addition you should file a civil suite for defamation of character and time loss. I am sure your attorney can also come up with some more quality reasons to file a lawsuit. Attorneys normally only charge 100USD to get the initial paperwork started and when things are complete 25-33% of the settlement. Most dont charge anything if they dont win. So he can advise you where you stand before any action is taken.

2nd option is to file suite with your local small claims court in regards to the cost of getting your laptop fixed. It will then be up to a judge to decide if they are full of it. Would be great to have a local PC expert with you to back your claims. In many cases since its a big corporation, they will not have any representative show up at the small claims court. Thus the suite defaulting you as the winner I guess you could say and a court order will be issued to Bestbuy ordering them to pay for court cost and the cost to have the laptop repaired.

I love having legal attorneys in my family :)
Hope this helps.

Exodist

phrostbyte
December 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
If you are any good with computers why would you work in a retail store? Only excuse is you are young and that's the only job you can get. That is why there is so many "computer experts" in Best Buy who never even heard of Linux or don't know what a CPU is.

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
If you are any good with computers why would you work in a retail store? Only excuse is you are young and that's the only job you can get. That is why there is so many "computer experts" in Best Buy who never even heard of Linux or don't know what a CPU is.

True...but for a store, you'd think they would at least be picky enough in their hirings to grab people who actually knew what they are talking about....and if they don't know, then teach them to be able to say more than what is on the shelf label.

phrostbyte
December 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM
True...but for a store, you'd think they would at least be picky enough in their hirings to grab people who actually knew what they are talking about....and if they don't know, then teach them to be able to say more than what is on the shelf label.

Then they can't pay them $8/hr!

For employees:
Smart, Cheap, Loyal (pick any 2)

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
1) Anyone tech savy enough to be worth their salt normally is to busy with college or has a real job. I for one when growing up would NEVER work for best buy, wallmart or any food chain.
2) They do teach them, but its MS FUD.

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
For employees:
Smart, Cheap, Loyal (pick any 1, and maybe 2 if you're incredibly lucky)

Fixed.

phrostbyte
December 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Fixed.

:lolflag:

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM
1) Anyone tech savy enough to be worth their salt normally is to busy with college or has a real job. I for one when growing up would NEVER work for best buy, wallmart or any food chain.

I'm not talking tech saavy--I'm talking very basics.

I go into Worst Buy looking at netbooks a few months ago. I want a netbook with a N-Wireless card in it, as though N-Draft hadn't been official yet, it is/was everywhere. I didn't want very-soon-to-be obsolete hardware. I also want a 9-cell battery, but there's aftermarket potentially for that.

I ask the crew at Worst Buy, about which of their 5 or 10 netbooks they have around has an N-Wireless card. They have no idea. They also have no idea how to find out, unless it is clearly printed on the shipping carton, which it wasn't....I end up using CMD.EXE and use my DOS-fu to find out that none of the ones they carry have an N card. Yes I can go online and shop-but I like seeing and feeling things, rather than buying blind. I ended up buying my MSi Wind from NewEgg.

Granted I wasn't disappointed that much, I've dealt with those clowns before. But crikey-know the *&^% products you're selling.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I don't trust the Geek Squad. I bought a screaming Asus laptop earlier this year at Best Buy. When the goons saw me searching for a specific model they sent a Geek Squad member over to "help me". I asked him, just to make sure, if my model of laptop came with a Windows Recovery CD (I'd already read that it did online). He said no, and then tried to tell me that I could buy Geek Squad service which would include making me a recovery cd and also would remove the bloated software/adware which came pre-installed on my computer.

I asked him if he was telling me that laptops from his store come preloaded with adware/spyware/bloatware. That kind of cowed him. I told him if that was the case that I'm not sure I'm interested in buying from him. I then asked him why I couldn't just make my own recovery cd. Eventually I just told him that I was technically proficient and I didn't need any of his geek squad help.

This put him in his place. I bought my laptop, brought it home, opened the box and found my recovery cd. Not only was there a recovery cd but also a cd that allows me to install all the drivers/applications by choice (click checkmark to install) and it does it all automatically. There was no bloatware or adware on the laptop either.

phrostbyte
December 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM

I worked for a grocery store when I was 14. I worked for Circuit City and Best Buy afterwords. Combined in this stores I worked 4 years. All part time of course (between 10-20 hours). I don't regret any of it.

Tho my best student employment by far was working as a sysadmin for my university for 2 years. :) That is the only student employment I still keep on my resume because I did a lot of interesting stuff that I'd never done since.

But yeah when you are like 30-35 (even as a "manager", which Best Buy has devolved into a joke title) working for a company like Best Buy, and you have excellent technical/business skills, maybe you should rethink your life. There are so many better paying jobs which IMO are more fulfilling. But, TBH I never meet a coworker in Best Buy / Circuit City I'd classify as "smart", even Geek Squad management.

Skripka
:lolflag:

You know it is only funny, because it is true. ;)

Exodist
I'm not talking tech saavy--I'm talking very basics.

IDK, *snip*. They are not bright or work at best buy because of tech knowledge. They just work their for extra school money. Same thing about McDonalds, you dont really expect them to hire someone that can actually cook do you? Nah, thats why everything is on timers and has instructions printed in big bold letters everywhere.

aysiu
December 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Same thing about McDonalds, you dont really expect them to hire someone that can actually cook do you? The difference is that McDonald's doesn't market its employees as being Cordon Bleu chefs. Best Buy does market its Geek Squad employees as genuine geeks who know about technology and can fix your problems.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The difference is that McDonald's doesn't market its employees as being Cordon Bleu chefs. Best Buy does market its Geek Squad employees as genuine geeks who know about technology and can fix your problems.

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/7280/original/20070902-Facepalm1.jpg

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Are you facepalming Best Buy or aysiu? If a facepalm isn't obvious, it's a poor facepalm.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Are you facepalming Best Buy or aysiu? If a facepalm isn't obvious, it's a poor facepalm.

Best Buy.

steveneddy
December 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I rarely shop at Best Buy but when on the road as often as I am sometimes it is a necessary evil.

When I do purchase something there I make sure that I know lots about what I am purchasing.

I also only purchase computers at Linux vendors link System76. I get much better customer service instead of Best Buy.

I have only once run into a Assistant Manager at a Best Buy in Houston, Texas (I think) that knew about and actually used Ubuntu.
He assisted me in purchasing a new external hard drive.

As far as the Geek Squad, they only know about Windows and very little about Mac and are trained in Microsoft superiority overall. I would never trust a member of the Geek Squad with burning a CD, much less properly repairing anything. And their knowledge of operating systems in minimal.

Keep in mind that Geek Squad are merely A+ Certified at most with additional training by Best Buy to give them that overwhelming ID-10-T attitude.

Just my .02

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Best Buy.
In that case, I support this facepalm. :)

phrostbyte
December 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The difference is that McDonald's doesn't market its employees as being Cordon Bleu chefs. Best Buy does market its Geek Squad employees as genuine geeks who know about technology and can fix your problems.

Do you see the way McD market's their hamburgers? Has anyone ever actually got a hamburger as it is in the picture?

ghostrider117
December 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
well your first miss take was to talk to those jackoffs at geeksquad fix it your self if you can

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 10:35 PM
well your first miss take was to talk to those jackoffs at geeksquad fix it your self if you can

If my computer ever broke down (i.e: cd drive, etc.) I'd take it to a local computer store, I can't fix anything myself, sadly.

wilee-nilee
December 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM

My four month-old netbook's touchpad and power adapter all stopped working.

The manager of the Geek Squad informed me that installing Ubuntu Linux on
my machine voided my warranty, and that I could only have it serviced if the
original Windows installation was restored. Furthermore, he insisted that the
touchpad and power adapter had been broken because I installed Linux.

Yay for the ultimate ID-10-T error - brought to you by.... *dum dum dummmm* BEST BUY!

:guitar:

I don't believe the story!!!

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I can see your point.

glnerd
December 20th, 2009, 11:58 PM
wow, bestbuy is useless anyway...most of the people in the geek squad are idiots. they dont know a computer from an internet modem

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 20th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I don't believe the story!!!
I don't believe that you don't believe the story.

lisati
December 21st, 2009, 01:13 AM
Do you see the way McD market's their hamburgers? Has anyone ever actually got a hamburger as it is in the picture?

A couple of consumer advice shows on TV over here in NZ have done comparisons of how things are marketed and what the consumers actually get. It can be interesting, and every so often there's a degree of what might be politely called "artistic license" involved.

aysiu
December 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM
The McDonald's comparisons are really unwarranted. Did McDonald's say "Pay 1/3 extra for the price of this hamburger, and I guarantee I'll replace it if you didn't have as great an experience with the hamburger as our commercial would have" and then renege on that citing that you put too much ketchup on the burger?

There is not a similar situation at all with McDonald's to compare to Best Buy. Sorry.

Paqman
December 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Local computer shops FTW! \\:D/

Or the online retailers. They generally have the best prices anyway.

Keyper7
December 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
It's because of stories like these that, whenever I have a hardware problem, I just take the recovery CD and "revirginize" the machine as much as possible.

Linux? What's that?

Psumi
December 21st, 2009, 02:45 PM
It's because of stories like these that, whenever I have a hardware problem, I just take the recovery CD and "revirginize" the machine as much as possible.

Linux? What's that?

Most companies don't have Recovery CDs anymore, they make you make your own (IE: Gateway's recovery CD Program) or make you pay for geek squad services.

Keyper7
December 21st, 2009, 02:46 PM
Most companies don't have Recovery CDs anymore, they make you make your own (IE: Gateway's recovery CD Program.)

Well, you got my point, right? Getting the recovery whatever and restoring the original state.

gnomeuser
December 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
I predict that Best Buy is really going to love the ChromeOS netbooks.

Psumi
December 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
I predict that Best Buy is really going to love the ChromeOS netbooks.

Best Buy has a choice to refuse to carry certain brands, just like it doesn't carry Lenovos in store.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
lol, I think the major point that seems to be lost on a lot of you is that the OP skews the original post from The Consumerist.

The warranty was voided on the netbook. Pure and simple. You'll get the same from Dell, HP, Acer, etc if you modify the computer from what the store/vendor supports. If they don't support Linux, they don't support Linux, pure and simple. You can gripe in-store all you want, but it will not change that fact.

Best solution? Make an image CD with the original image, and flash it back to the device prior to taking into the shop.

Psumi
December 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Best solution? Make an image CD with the original image, and flash it back to the device prior to taking into the shop.

How do you do that? Making a whole image of the harddrive without paying for imaging software, and without using company-provided software provided by the computer company?

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM
lol, I think the major point that seems to be lost on a lot of you is that the OP skews the original post from The Consumerist.

The warranty was voided on the netbook. Pure and simple. You'll get the same from Dell, HP, Acer, etc if you modify the computer from what the store/vendor supports. If they don't support Linux, they don't support Linux, pure and simple. You can gripe in-store all you want, but it will not change that fact.

And having said that, it seems as if you are misunderstanding the entire point completely.

Sure, Linux voids the warranty. We get that. It's understood. But the point is, the "Geek Squad Technicians" said that Linux is what killed his hardware.

Software does not kill hardware.
Installing Linux did not kill cause his problems.
He even restored Windows back to its original state to therefore take part in the warranty, but was refused.

No matter how you slice it, no matter how much credit you try to give Best Buy, the bottom line is the geek squad individuals involved in this story are nothing short of what you call "stupid."

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM
How do you do that? Making a whole image of the harddrive without paying for imaging software, and without using company-provided software provided by the computer company?

CloneZilla LiveCD.

The only thing you need is some sort of media to save the image to (flash drive if the image is small enough, external hard drive, etc) and a blank CD to burn the image.

Don't ya just love open source/free software?

Psumi
December 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM

I've had firmware kill hardware before, so believe me... it can be done.

CloneZilla LiveCD.

The only thing you need is some sort of media to save the image to (flash drive if the image is small enough, external hard drive, etc) and a blank CD to burn the image.

With Windows 7/Vista/XP, I would need an external harddrive, which I can't afford, and I only have like 5 DVD-Rs left.

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
I've had firmware kill hardware before, so believe me... it can be done.

I'll give you that. Even though firmware is technically software, it's not what I think of when I was referencing software in my last post.

Even still, it doesn't put Linux at fault for killing his hardware. Not only that, but it worked fine with Linux for several months, then stopped working.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM
And having said that, it seems as if you are misunderstanding the entire point completely.

Sure, Linux voids the warranty. We get that. It's understood. But the point is, the "Geek Squad Technicians" said that Linux is what killed his hardware.

Installing Linux did not kill cause his problems.
He even restored Windows back to its original state to therefore take part in the warranty, but was refused.

No matter how you slice it, no matter how much credit you try to give Best Buy, the bottom line is the geek squad individuals involved in this story are nothing short of what you call "stupid."

I'm not giving Best Buy any undue credit. The argument should have been over when the tech said to the customer "sorry, you installed a new operating system on this machine, you have therefore voided the warranty you paid for, it's in the terms." The customer decided that "kiss off, I'm the customer and therefore ALWAYS INFALLIBLY RIGHT", and argued with the technician, who is just there to read the terms of the warranty.

I can also guarantee that the customer would never have been asked to leave the store, if he hadn't gotten hostile with the technicians. I'd wager money that he acted belligerently to the staff.

The argument should never have progressed that far, pure and simple. I'd have been cheesed off too had the customer come back and argued with me about software versus hardware and telling *me* what I need to support. Sorry, my customers don't dictate what I support, my vendors and my superiors do. If you want to have a completely customer-driven support baseline, go freelance. You'll drive yourself insane.

That's not my problem, nor is it the problem of your original software vendor. They don't *have* to supply you with a means of making any recovery media, honestly. Just because you don't want to pay for something doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
With Windows 7/Vista/XP, I would need an external harddrive, which I can't afford, and I only have like 5 DVD-Rs left.

Well, can't really help you there. No matter what imaging solution you use, whether it's a computer acting as an imaging server (aka FOG) or a livecd format such as Clonezilla LiveCD, or Ghost, Acronis, etc you'll still have to use some sort of media to actually save the image to. But at least all you need is an external hard drive (which fortunately are dropping in price quite a bit) and besides that, you're golden. No additional fees for the software itself. :guitar:

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm not giving Best Buy any undue credit. The argument should have been over when the tech said to the customer "sorry, you installed a new operating system on this machine, you have therefore voided the warranty you paid for, it's in the terms." The customer decided that "kiss off, I'm the customer and therefore ALWAYS INFALLIBLY RIGHT", and argued with the technician, who is just there to read the terms of the warranty.

I can also guarantee that the customer would never have been asked to leave the store, if he hadn't gotten hostile with the technicians. I'd wager money that he initiated some sort of hostility to the staff.

The argument should never have progressed that far, pure and simple. I'd have been cheesed off too had the customer come back and argued with me about software versus hardware and telling *me* what I need to support. Sorry, my customers don't dictate what I support, my vendors and my superiors do. If you want to have a completely customer-driven support baseline, go freelance. You'll drive yourself insane.

I'm pretty sure the guy in the story even posted that Gateway will support the system as long as Windows is restored on it. This is something even Best Buy refused to do.

And while you might be right in regard to the customer getting hostile with the staff, it's still speculation, and something I couldn't fault the customer for, simply because I would have done the same thing.

If I had a laptop and I go to Best Buy and they tell me restore Windows and that's that, and I go through the trouble of doing that, THEN they tell me that my warranty is flat out gone despite me paying 80 dollars for it extra, I mean, really?

Being called a liar, being "stolen" from when you paid 80 extra dollars for the extended warranty, and even going through the trouble of catering your hardware-failed system to proper software-acceptable-spec, and STILL being refused service? Are you absolutely kidding me? Even if half of what the customer said in the story was true, I still give him a ton of credit. If I were in his shoes, I would have been on the other side of the counter. I don't take well to feeling like I'm kissing someone's *** then being told, actually, you lied, you're out 80 bucks, and you're an idiot, please leave thanks.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy in the story even posted that Gateway will support the system as long as Windows is restored on it. This is something even Best Buy refused to do.

And while you might be right in regard to the customer getting hostile with the staff, it's still speculation, and something I couldn't fault the customer for, simply because I would have done the same thing.

If I had a laptop and I go to Best Buy and they tell me restore Windows and that's that, and I go through the trouble of doing that, THEN they tell me that my warranty is flat out gone despite me paying 80 dollars for it extra, I mean, really?

Being called a liar, being "stolen" from when you paid 80 extra dollars for the extended warranty, and even going through the trouble of catering your hardware-failed system to proper software-acceptable-spec, and STILL being refused service? Are you absolutely kidding me? Even if half of what the customer said in the story was true, I still give him a ton of credit. If I were in his shoes, I would have been on the other side of the counter. I don't take well to feeling like I'm kissing someone's *** then being told, actually, you lied, you're out 80 bucks, and you're an idiot, please leave thanks.

Again, pure speculation (but I feel like I'm spot-on), but if he got hostile with staff the first go-round, I'd have refused him service when he came back, even if he *did* have the system restored to original condition.

Yes, the managers at his Best Buy did not handle the situation properly by saying that his warranty was voided anyway, but they may have a leg to stand on because of one solid fact: store employees remember difficult people. They're trained to do that. You remember the people who argue with you about minutia, you remember the people who attempt to belittle you. It's a security thing. People who argue could be seen as distractions for others to try and steal merchandise - it's fact in the retail business.

However, if they remembered who he was, and that he was hostile/difficult on his last visit, they cannot be blamed at all for steeling themselves for his second visit.

I get the distinct impression we're not hearing everything that actually went on at that Best Buy, just as I don't think last week's "Linux is Illegal!" thread doesn't provide a clear view of the details...

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM

You use a combination of tools available on SystemRescueCD, Clonezilla, or something similar. It can be done.

MooPi
December 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
A co-worker complains that his computer after updating the day before would not function correctly. He says that a pop up from Microsoft informs him that he has an illeagal copy of Windows and must purchase a new license. When I finally get to look at the computer, it has Windows XP Pro installed but the COA on the back of the computer lists the install system as Windows XP Media Center. My friend informs me that the computer had been serviced at the local Best Buy Geek Squad previously for viruses. Best Buy sold him a reload of the system (including disk) and virus protection. I check the Windows disk Best Buy sold him and it is a useless XP Home upgrade disk. So the original software was Media Center, the reinstall was XP pro and the so called restore install disk is XP Home upgade. The sad part was the computer came with a restore partition that was ignored and corrupted by the upgrade to XP Pro. To correct the problem I had to start the reinstall with the upgrade disk, then insert an old Window 98 disk in for the upgrade disk to install. The problem he contacted me about (illegal Windows License) was caused by using a corporate install license to do the reinstall by Geek Squad. Bad all the way around.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
A co-worker complains that his computer after updating the day before would not function correctly. He says that a pop up from Microsoft informs him that he has an illeagal copy of Windows and must purchase a new license. When I finally get to look at the computer, it has Windows XP Pro installed but the COA on the back of the computer lists the install system as Windows XP Media Center. My friend informs me that the computer had been serviced at the local Best Buy Geek Squad previously for viruses. Best Buy sold him a reload of the system (including disk) and virus protection. I check the Windows disk Best Buy sold him and it is a useless XP Home upgrade disk. So the original software was Media Center, the reinstall was XP pro and the so called restore install disk is XP Home upgade. The sad part was the computer came with a restore partition that was ignored and corrupted by the upgrade to XP Pro. To correct the problem I had to start the reinstall with the upgrade disk, then insert an old Window 98 disk in for the upgrade disk to install. The problem he contacted me about (illegal Windows License) was caused by using a corporate install license to do the reinstall by Geek Squad. Bad all the way around.

See, that kind of stuff *should* be reported to places like the BBB - improper use of licenses is bad juju.

CharlesA
December 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM

This is what I do for any machines I use at home. Make an image of a clean install and throw it on my file server. Restore it and make sure it works. Then install all the other junk that I'll need and image it again. I think the first thing that I did when i got a laptop was to pop in Clonezilla and image the bugger so that I can restore it to "factory settings" if I need to send it in to be repaired.

See below.

CloneZilla LiveCD.

Yes I do, especially since it supports ext4. :)

Dr. C
December 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM

Just let Microsoft know of the software piracy. That should take of the poor customer service by Best Buy and their geek squad.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

or

http://www.bsa.org/

forrestcupp
December 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
I predict that Best Buy is really going to love the ChromeOS netbooks.The difference is that ChromeOS netbooks are going to be manufactured specifically to work well with ChromeOS. Best Buy can't guarantee that all of their computers are going to work well with Linux. Evidently, the computer in question had hardware in it that wasn't compatible.

I'm sure that if Best Buy sells computers that are built to run Linux, they won't have any problem supporting them.

With Windows 7/Vista/XP, I would need an external harddrive, which I can't afford, and I only have like 5 DVD-Rs left.I've never seen any computer that has so much software installed out of the box that you need more than 5 DVD-Rs. Clonezilla, and other apps like it, only make image backups on what you have installed, not the entire disk size. You should be able to make a backup of the original setup in 1 or 2 DVDs.

Psumi
December 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
The difference is that ChromeOS netbooks are going to be manufactured specifically to work well with ChromeOS. Best Buy can't guarantee that all of their computers are going to work well with Linux. Evidently, the computer in question had hardware in it that wasn't compatible.

I'm sure that if Best Buy sells computers that are built to run Linux, they won't have any problem supporting them.

I've never seen any computer that has so much software installed out of the box that you need more than 5 DVD-Rs. Clonezilla, and other apps like it, only make image backups on what you have installed, not the entire disk size. You should be able to make a backup of the original setup in 1 or 2 DVDs.

3-4 actually, as I have 15 GB worth of used space.

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
3-4 actually, as I have 15 GB worth of used space.

You might be in luck. Clonezilla compresses the data. If Clonezilla compresses the data the same way FOG does, it's quite a bit of space you save.

I work with FOG at work, which requires an *buntu server and a network switch, and I just barf out the images over the network. An XP image that had photoshop installed plus a ton of other programs clocks in as 16.5gb used, yet the compressed image state is 10.1gb.

The nice thing about Clonezilla is it also offers you to break up the images in sections, so you can tell Clonezilla not to exceed 4gb per slab of data and when it hits 4gb, it'll cut it off, prompt you for the new dvd, and fire it up again to expand on the following dvd.

It's really a great product. I love having it as I use a pair of 500gb drives. I just rsync my home directory to my 2nd drive since my data is more important than my actual kubuntu install, but I use clonezilla livecd monthly to re-backup my root partition.

So worst case scenario, my system tanks - new drives slapped in - restore my clonezilla image (up to a month old, but all that's different is programs I installed in that month, etc.) and bring my backup data over, which backs up nightly.

love it.

Groucho Marxist
December 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Thats one dumb geek squad employee....he claims an OS can damage hardware...it CANNOT. Sure the driver may be broken, but (as my cd drive provides a great example) but you can still use it on other OS's and BIOS.

I agree; unless the OS is Brainiac, hardware would not be affected.

CharlesA
December 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
You might be in luck. Clonezilla compresses the data. If Clonezilla compresses the data the same way FOG does, it's quite a bit of space you save.

I work with FOG at work, which requires an *buntu server and a network switch, and I just barf out the images over the network. An XP image that had photoshop installed plus a ton of other programs clocks in as 16.5gb used, yet the compressed image state is 10.1gb.

The nice thing about Clonezilla is it also offers you to break up the images in sections, so you can tell Clonezilla not to exceed 4gb per slab of data and when it hits 4gb, it'll cut it off, prompt you for the new dvd, and fire it up again to expand on the following dvd.

It's really a great product. I love having it as I use a pair of 500gb drives. I just rsync my home directory to my 2nd drive since my data is more important than my actual kubuntu install, but I use clonezilla livecd monthly to re-backup my root partition.

So worst case scenario, my system tanks - new drives slapped in - restore my clonezilla image (up to a month old, but all that's different is programs I installed in that month, etc.) and bring my backup data over, which backs up nightly.

love it.

Sorry to quote the whole thing, but I really do love Clonezilla. I used PING before and liked it but since it didn't support ext4 (except by using dd to copy everything) and it's worked wonderfully. I just imaged a clean install of Vista (33GB >.<) and it compressed it down to around 12GB. Not bad at all if I do say so myself. :D

I do the same thing that you do except I image the entire drive of my Ubuntu server (since the stuff in my home dir doesn't change cuz I store everything on the RAID array) rsync the array to external backups and I'm good to go if anything goes **** up.

alphaniner
December 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
but I really do love Clonezilla.

Why no love for SystemRescueCD? :(

CharlesA
December 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Why no love for SystemRescueCD? :(

Didn't know about it. O_o

Bookmarked it now. :)

days_of_ruin
December 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
What can you expect from a store that has an ipod shuffle on display. :lolflag:

phrostbyte
December 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
The McDonald's comparisons are really unwarranted. Did McDonald's say "Pay 1/3 extra for the price of this hamburger, and I guarantee I'll replace it if you didn't have as great an experience with the hamburger as our commercial would have" and then renege on that citing that you put too much ketchup on the burger?

There is not a similar situation at all with McDonald's to compare to Best Buy. Sorry.

You have a point. TBH, I'd steer clear of any kind of Best Buy extended warranty for this reason. The store tends to be dissuaded to actually honor the warranty because it hurts their bottom line.

If you really want an extended warranty (and seriously they can be useful on laptops, I've yet to have a laptop last longer then two years) check what the original OEM or your credit card offers. It's usually cheaper and has better service. :P

VastOne
December 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
This is disturbing to me on two points...

Around this time last Christmas I helped a friend purchase the "right" computer from Best Buy and tried to discuss Ubuntu/Linux with the Geek Squad and sales people on duty and as told point blank that they would be fired to discuss anything about Ubuntu.

Second, I do believe that Best Buy sells Dell laptops with Ubuntu on them so how can they claim that the OS is responsible for killing a system that it supports?

aysiu
December 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM
This is my advice, based on my experience (and I used to be one of those people who bought service plans and extended warranties until I realized I never used them), but it's based on the idea that you buy electronics fairly frequently:

Every time you're offered to purchase a service plan or extended warranty, pay that money to yourself instead (put it in a savings account). If nothing goes wrong, you have extra money (yay!). If something goes wrong, just buy something new with all the money you paid yourself. No arguing with yourself. No telling yourself the warranty is voided. No having to send anything back for weeks at a time.

When I think back on all the hundreds of dollars I wasted on service plans over the years, I cringe. I did buy one thing from Best Buy last year (a TV), didn't get the service plan, and it broke within 30 days. The TV was still covered by the manufacturer's warranty. My wife and I called up LG, they said it was a known problem and apologized. We set up an appointment for them to send an LG technician to service it in-house. They came to our apartment, confirmed the problem, ordered the part. The next day, they got the part, and replaced it for us. All at no cost. All with no argument. And no extra payment for a service plan.

I doubt it would have been as painless if we'd gone the Best Buy route.

P.S. A while back, my wife and I bought a US$20 phone from Best Buy. They wanted us to buy a service plan for it for US$7. Of course we refused. If the phone dies, it dies (it didn't).

P.P.S. If you think about it from a logical standpoint, Best Buy offers this kind of service plan because it ultimately is good for them financially, not good for the consumer. It's the same for casinos (if the house didn't ultimately win, the house wouldn't exist any more). And, unlike health and car insurance, it isn't really necessary. People pay for health and car insurance because it's very possible that what happens (cancer, a disastrous car accident) will cost more to pay for than the person or driver could ever possibly hope to afford as an individual (millions of dollars, for example). But if you can afford a $300 netbook, chances are you can afford $300 to replace it (even if you just charge that to your credit card and pay it off later). The damage is never going to be more than $300, whereas damage your car causes may exceed the cost of your car (especially if you damage other cars and/or people). When it comes to electronics, it's better to be your own insurance.

phrostbyte
December 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
This is my advice, based on my experience (and I used to be one of those people who bought service plans and extended warranties until I realized I never used them), but it's based on the idea that you buy electronics fairly frequently:

Every time you're offered to purchase a service plan or extended warranty, pay that money to yourself instead (put it in a savings account). If nothing goes wrong, you have extra money (yay!). If something goes wrong, just buy something new with all the money you paid yourself. No arguing with yourself. No telling yourself the warranty is voided. No having to send anything back for weeks at a time.

When I think back on all the hundreds of dollars I wasted on service plans over the years, I cringe. I did buy one thing from Best Buy last year (a TV), didn't get the service plan, and it broke within 30 days. The TV was still covered by the manufacturer's warranty. My wife and I called up LG, they said it was a known problem and apologized. We set up an appointment for them to send an LG technician to service it in-house. They came to our apartment, confirmed the problem, ordered the part. The next day, they ordered the part, and replaced it for us. All at no cost. All with no argument. And no extra payment for a service plan.

I doubt it would have been as painless if we'd gone the Best Buy route.

P.S. A while back, my wife and I bought a US$20 phone from Best Buy. They wanted us to buy a service plan for it for US$7. Of course we refused. If the phone dies, it dies (it didn't).

Well yes. Best Buy does make a killing off these service plans. All sales people and even cashiers are required to sell it (not offer it, but try to convince the customer to buy it using sales techniques). Especially on the things like that, they are pure profit. (No moving parts means it's unlikely to break within the service period, and the low cost means many people will simply forget they have a service plan anyway)

An interesting thing is Best Buy and electronics stores in general really make little money from the TV/computers that typically get sold (ie, the ones in the flier). Sometimes these may even be loss leaders (sold at below cost). Making money is all about the monster cables, "power stations", service plans, ink cartridges, USB cables, cordless mice, laptop cases, etc. Some TVs (usually the high end $2000+ ones) and computers ($1000+) do have significant margin though, but they are rarely bought.

Basically the ad is there to lure people in the store, they don't actually want to sell anything on it. :)

aysiu
December 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
An interesting thing is Best Buy and electronics stores in general really make little money from the TV/computers that typically get sold (ie, the ones in the flier). Sometimes these may even be loss leaders (sold at below cost). Making money is all about the monster cables, "power stations", service plans, ink cartridges, USB cables, cordless mice, laptop cases, etc. I know. We ended up buying our TV at Best Buy because it was local, and we didn't want to order the TV online and have it shipped to our workplace (we have live in an apartment building, not a house) and then have to bring it back from work and then mail it back if something was immediately wrong with it.

But it also meant we had to go through a lot of persistent "No we don't want that" and "Are you sure?" back-and-forths with the Best Buy employees. They tried to convince us to buy cords from them, to buy power strips, to start a credit card account with them, to buy a service plan. We just had to hold our ground and say "No."

Basically the ad is there to lure people in the store, they don't actually want to sell anything on it. :) I believe that's called "bait and switch."

KiwiNZ
December 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
When I buy TV's etc I wear the Polo shirt for my company it shows I am a Techie. No hard sell happens for extended warranty stuff.

All my cars have new car warranties so no issue with them and i always flick them before that expires.

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Around this time last Christmas I helped a friend purchase the "right" computer from Best Buy and tried to discuss Ubuntu/Linux with the Geek Squad and sales people on duty and as told point blank that they would be fired to discuss anything about Ubuntu.

Just a quick question - what is "the wrong" computer?

phrostbyte
December 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
I know. We ended up buying our TV at Best Buy because it was local, and we didn't want to order the TV online and have it shipped to our workplace (we have live in an apartment building, not a house) and then have to bring it back from work and then mail it back if something was immediately wrong with it.

But it also meant we had to go through a lot of persistent "No we don't want that" and "Are you sure?" back-and-forths with the Best Buy employees. They tried to convince us to buy cords from them, to buy power strips, to start a credit card account with them, to buy a service plan. We just had to hold our ground and say "No."

I believe that's called "bait and switch."

Yeah it's a shady game. Always trying to look for those "suckers" who believe everything you say and which you can attach $1000+ of crap to their order. Then telling them to put it on a store credit card with 28% APR. :) Future customers of "Debt Solutions" I'm sure.

But the biggest sucker quite frankly is the employees. They are the ones making income that qualifies as being below poverty level, and being told to act like a used car salesman but get no commission in the process. It's not a work environment for someone who values their own thought process. There is a lot of HS and college kids (mostly HS), but I was surprised on how many close to middle aged people were alongside me. Not even as managers. I used to tell them they should find another job that pays better and a better work environment, but they seem to be completely brainwashed or something. It's really sad.

Roasted
December 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
And, unlike health and car insurance, it isn't really necessary. People pay for health and car insurance because it's very possible that what happens (cancer, a disastrous car accident) will cost more to pay for than the person or driver could ever possibly hope to afford as an individual (millions of dollars, for example).

Very good advice overall. But I quoted this particular section because of an unfortunate situation that happened to me last week.

I live in Pennsylvania. I drive on the same road every day. I've never -ever- seen a deer on this particular road. I've lived here since 1993, and been driving for about 6 years.

Last Monday - worked 15 hours straight.
Last Tuesday - worked 15 hours straight.
Last Wednesday - decided, ya know, instead of 15 hours, I'll just work 12 and go home a bit early.

On my way home from work, 2 deer jumped out of a field and hit the side of my car. I didn't hit them. They hit me. Mirror demolished, side all bashed in. Weeeeeeee!

Thankfully my insurance is pretty much taking care of everything. All I have to do is tell them when I need a rental and I'm good to go.

User3k
December 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
The problem for me is that I can't find any good local computer stores. The average "mom and pop" type anyways. I know they are around the city. I am just having bad luck locating them. One computer store is nice but they refuse to sell cpu's (for example) unless they install it themselves. They say the are worried about people doing it wrong and bringing the cpu back and in turn they have to return it at a cost. Maybe that is true but I think they just want the extra money for installing it. I mean how hard is it to install a cpu with out screwing it up... Now the people at the store are decent and I do buy small things like cables, etc there. But I would like to find a decent computer store that did it all without treating all people like they are children who are clueless. For now I will just get the major things online. Newegg, etc.

The two major places to buy electronics, both close by for me, are Best Buy and Walmart. Now Walmart, well that is a whole other thread. Let me just say for those who never tried to buy anything there that I have seen people working there take an hour to find an Ethernet cable (when I called and asked by phone,) and even then they had to ask me what exactly it was/looked like and what it did.

Best Buy takes the lead but they are single minded there. Like already mentioned they are more worried about money with all these plans then anything else. And ask them about Linux, well..... lol

If I could I would just open a computer store that covered Windows, Linux (As of now the main focus would be on two maybe three main distro's,) FreeBSD (Covering PC-BSD and DesktopBSD,) and Macs, though I am really clueless about Macs I would have to learn fast. I would also have a variety of hardware and not treat customers as idiots (but I would have a strict return policy as well. I mean if someone uses a hammer to pound their new cpu into their MB then that is their problem, not mine, lol.) I also have another couple of ideas that I think would work out well.

But for now...

Best Buy is not the greatest place but it is much better then the alternatives around here for the average person.

Chame_Wizard
December 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
1st ******* 7 bull**** training and now this,seems like Best Buy is really start to be hated by everyone.:P

Some local computer shop are better than them.:grin:

HappyFeet
December 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM

Once.

The only thing I will buy at Best Buy is when they have a good sale on blank CD's/DVD's. Other than that, they can rot in hell.

aysiu
December 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
If I could I would just open a computer store that covered Windows, Linux (As of now the main focus would be on two maybe three main distro's,) FreeBSD (Covering PC-BSD and DesktopBSD,) and Macs, though I am really clueless about Macs I would have to learn fast. I would also have a variety of hardware and not treat customers as idiots (but I would have a strict return policy as well. I mean if someone uses a hammer to pound their new cpu into their MB then that is their problem, not mine, lol.) I also have another couple of ideas that I think would work out well. I love the sound of that store, but Best Buy would easily put you out of business. They have economies of scale, brand name recognition, and ruthless (and unethical) business practices all working in their favor.

Your store isn't likely to be economically viable.

What really needs to change is the customer mindset that cheapest is always best--the idea that if mom-and-pop has a certain item for US$2.99 and Wal-Mart has the same item for US$1.99 that it's better to save that one dollar and shop at Wal-Mart. Better to support local businesses than corporations. And if you really can't spare that dollar, maybe you shouldn't be buying as much as you do... start really assessing "Do I need this? Or do I just want this?"

If a store existed with actually knowledgeable sales people who supported Linux and did not push service plans on you, I would gladly go there over Best Buy and pay a little more for electronics there. Unfortunately, I think most people would just use your store for the knowledgeable sales people and then go to Best Buy for the cheaper deal.

Frak
December 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
1st ******* 7 bull**** training and now this,seems like Best Buy is really start to be hated by everyone.:P

I laughed when I read this. They'll be hated by the 1% that reads these forums.

The other 99% don't really care about Linux, and won't try to install it. They'll do work on their computer, maybe watch a movie, and if something goes wrong, they'll take it to Best Buy to have it serviced. Seriously, if you install Linux on your computer, you are saying to EVERYBODY that you, ineed, know enough about the computer to fix it. You changed the default configration of your computer to suit your needs, and that shows that you KNOW the risks involved. Changing an OS is a big deal, and even though Geek Squad is marketed as an über intelligent squad of geeks, they aren't and they will refuse to fix your computer if you change it's operational state at sell.

What does this mean? Don't remove Windows in favor of Linux. If you really do need Windows off, don't buy the warranty. If you did buy the warranty, don't expect anybody to honor the warranty. Best Buy aren't the only people that do this, Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. will refuse to service your computer if you have a different OS on it as well.

KiwiNZ
My advice is , if you have an extended warranty or your PC is still under the makers warranty you need to keep it in the state at which you purchased it. That does include the OS.

If you read the fine print , which you should, you will find exclusions if you don't.

User3k
I love the sound of that store, but Best Buy would easily put you out of business. They have economies of scale, brand name recognition, and ruthless (and unethical) business practices all working in their favor.

Your store isn't likely to be economically viable.

What really needs to change is the customer mindset that cheapest is always best--the idea that if mom-and-pop has a certain item for US$2.99 and Wal-Mart has the same item for US$1.99 that it's better to save that one dollar and shop at Wal-Mart. Better to support local businesses than corporations. And if you really can't spare that dollar, maybe you shouldn't be buying as much as you do... start really assessing "Do I need this? Or do I just want this?"

If a store existed with actually knowledgeable sales people who supported Linux and did not push service plans on you, I would gladly go there over Best Buy and pay a little more for electronics there. Unfortunately, I think most people would just use your store for the knowledgeable sales people and then go to Best Buy for the cheaper deal.

I do agree. That is the main problem. People want cheap and places like Best Buy (Or even Walmart) can push out competition easily.

However a few gimmicks are needed in addition (when I mentioned I had a few other ideas in my reply above.) When my grandmother was alive she had a great saying. Never put all of your eggs on one basket. In order to make a profit (not trying to compete or out do places like Best Buy) then I would have to offer more on the human level as well as offering a well rounded group of things. I am from the old school where the customer is first and always right.

Around here everyone and their dog can fix a computer so focusing on that and hoping to make money is not a great idea. Especially when you throw in places like Best Buy.

Frak
December 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM
My advice is , if you have an extended warranty or your PC is still under the makers warranty you need to keep it in the state at which you purchased it. That does include the OS.

If you read the fine print , which you should, you will find exclusions if you don't.
You can't see it, but I'm taking both hands and pointing at my monitor screaming THIS!

VastOne
December 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Just a quick question - what is "the wrong" computer?

:P Good question...And there is not a good answer. I was there for moral support. lol

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM

UF's resident fresh and new comedy king creates a new joke, intentionally misspells "Windows" in the process!

You can't see it, but I'm taking both hands and pointing at my monitor screaming THIS!

Double your pleasure, because I'm doing the same.

dvlchd3
December 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM

You hit the nail on the head here. I used to work for "Best Try". I worked in "Digital Technologies" which is the computer/camera department. You basically become brainwashed on how to sell more useless crap the the customer. As far as Geek Squad, I was the "go to" person when they had a problem they couldn't fix or question they couldn't answer. On top of that, they promoted a Car Installation guy to be the supervisor of Geek Squad (WTF?!?!?!) Sure, install car steroes is EXACTLY the same thing as fixing computers....sigh...

Frak
December 21st, 2009, 08:03 PM
You hit the nail on the head here. I used to work for "Best Try". I worked in "Digital Technologies" which is the computer/camera department. You basically become brainwashed on how to sell more useless crap the the customer. As far as Geek Squad, I was the "go to" person when they had a problem they couldn't fix or question they couldn't answer. On top of that, they promoted a Car Installation guy to be the supervisor of Geek Squad (WTF?!?!?!) Sure, install car steroes is EXACTLY the same thing as fixing computers....sigh...
Welcome to the real world, have a seat to your right and we'll begin the orientation at 2:00 PM.

JDShu
December 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM

Unfortunate, but true. I don't think the problem is the "cheaper is better" mindset though, but rather that service is not properly valued in the current market system. I have no idea how the problem can be solved though.

lev-unr
January 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/69073.html?wlc=1263739554

its a little biased and poorly written. BUT - very interesting situation. I have always considered the geek squad to be a joke - but this is nuts.

Stan_1936
January 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
If the adapter was faulty, with Windows ORIGINALLY installed, then the owner should have taken it back as is.i.e.without changing Windows to Linux.

Thw owner was an idiot for altering the original installation.....on a faulty device.

Dr. C
January 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM
This case, and Best Buy's alleged violation of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act), belongs in small claims court where a judge needs to decide if Best Buy can void a warranty on a laptop over installing GNU / Linux, and believe or not the Microsoft "training" of Best Buy employees regarding GNU / Linux could be relevant here.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Sounds like old news.. but I cannot be arsed to find the thread.

Dharmachakra
January 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Thw owner was an idiot for altering the original installation.....on a faulty device.

There's no mention of the owner knowing the device was faulty before installing Ubuntu...

k64
January 17th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Just get computers from Fry's, you'll be better off.

JackRock
January 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Just get computers from Fry's, you'll be better off.

I WISH I could. No such store here in Colorado. Been to the one in Dallas - we NEED one here!

k64
January 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I WISH I could. No such store here in Colorado. Been to the one in Dallas - we NEED one here!

The one that's closest to me is in Fountain Valley, California, and I also (sometimes) go to the one in Anaheim.

Edit: And you can also shop on http://www.frys.com/

Stan_1936
January 17th, 2010, 08:47 PM
There's no mention of the owner knowing the device was faulty before installing Ubuntu...

If he did not infact know that the device was faulty before installing Ubuntu, he should have been clever enough to reformat and re-install Windows before taking it back to the store.

He clearly knew his way around the thing....as evidenced from an Ubuntu install/Windows re-install. He should have been smart enough to put Windows back on prior to investing time in an debate where he would be on the back foot from the get go. Silly him!

Frak
January 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
The person doesn't understand the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. If you remove Windows, you remove a component of the overall product. In doing so, you did not return the full contents that sold at point of sell, and therefore, is not eligible for support.

Besides that, the installation of another OS could have damaged the components, and that, alone, is enough to have a case closed on a consumer.

Dark_Stang
January 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
This is old news, the situation has already been handled and resolved, and it was the poor decision of one manager in a retail chain that operates world-wide. With hundreds of thousands of employees you're bound to have a few stupid ones.

betrunkenaffe
January 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM
This is old news, the situation has already been handled and resolved, and it was the poor decision of one manager in a retail chain that operates world-wide. With hundreds of thousands of employees you're bound to have a few stupid ones.

Or a few thousand stupid ones too...

Best Buy + Computers, I know I wouldn't do it without expecting to get burned

geogur
January 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM
up hear in canada they tell you not to even bring it back, ship it out yourself and deal with it . no customer service here .

Dark_Stang
January 17th, 2010, 10:54 PM

If there are only a few thousand dumb employees that work at Best Buy then they are doing a hell of a lot better than any other retailer in existence. And if you don't like them, then don't shop there. I don't shop at Target or Home Depot because of horrible experiences.

up hear in canada they tell you not to even bring it back, ship it out yourself and deal with it . no customer service here .
Unfortunately, the rules in Canada are different. But you get healthcare, so don't complain too much... Although I guess if you complain enough you get fun drugs, so maybe you should complain more.

Groucho Marxist
January 17th, 2010, 10:54 PM

I do my part by warning less-technologically inclined members of my family not to purchase from Best Buy for this very reason.

Furthermore, I agree with your signature; System76 is the company I went with for my laptop and I couldn't be happier :)

scouser73
January 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
This exact story has been mentioned before.

AllRadioisDead
January 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Stop trying to speak for all of Canada. I've never had problems with their customer service and I've had several items replaced without much trouble.

Techsnap
January 17th, 2010, 11:45 PM
He changed the OS, it's no wonder they wouldn't accept it, the OS change could well have broke the hardware for all we know, it depends what he did.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I would think that if the person had enuff brains to install Linux on the machine, that they would have restored it back to Windows before taking it in to be serviced.

Techsnap
January 17th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I would think that if the person had enuff brains to install Linux on the machine, that they would have restored it back to Windows before taking it in to be serviced.

Some of people who use Linux today don't really know what they're doing.

CharlesA
January 17th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Good point.

SmallerNuke
January 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM

^this.

It really isn't that hard to do.

Psumi
January 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM
^this.

It really isn't that hard to do.

Oh...? Click Here and Be Amazed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Geek_Squad#Companies_That_No_Longer_Provide_R ecovery_Discs_-_A_Big_Issue)

SirBismuth
January 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Some of people who use Linux today don't really know what they're doing.

This I noticed when 9.10 was released, and previous versions. There is a flood of complaints here, and on other forums, about how useless Ubuntu XX/X.XX is. Then it quietens down, as they have other fixed any issues, or returned to Windows.

I think with 10.04's release, they must tell people to make sure that it is the right OS for them, and emphasise the WUBI and dualboot options, as well as the option to test Ubuntu on a LiveCD or USB drive before committing.

But, this it not really for this thread, so I will stop there.

B

betrunkenaffe
January 18th, 2010, 07:13 PM
If there are only a few thousand dumb employees that work at Best Buy then they are doing a hell of a lot better than any other retailer in existence. And if you don't like them, then don't shop there. I don't shop at Target or Home Depot because of horrible experiences.

Thank you for stating the obvious, I think I will continue to not buy from Best Buy. I don't find them better than any other retailer except for maybe http://cbit.ca who I have perma-banned myself from going in the store. After 5 failures on their part costing me hours of time, will go to best buy first.

And I do tell others to avoid Best Buy and Future Shop if at all possible.

blur xc
January 18th, 2010, 08:21 PM
The person doesn't understand the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. If you remove Windows, you remove a component of the overall product. In doing so, you did not return the full contents that sold at point of sell, and therefore, is not eligible for support.

Besides that, the installation of another OS could have damaged the components, and that, alone, is enough to have a case closed on a consumer.

Software (which is all an os is) should not be a component of the original product. If I bought a netbook with xp on it (which they still sell), and I went and installed win 7, and then had a problem, would that as well void my warranty?

Each core component should have its own warranty. Like on a car, you have a drive train and powertrain warranty. I can void the warranty on my drivetrain by lowering, raising it, or putting 22" spinners (maybe, dunno on that one), but my powertrain warranty should still be good.

Hardware failures should be covered by one plan, software "issues" should be by another. By installing ubuntu, I may waive my right to have the Geek Squad fix my wifi driver problems, but they should replace my power adapter if it fails...

BM

CharlesA
January 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Oh...? Click Here and Be Amazed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Geek_Squad#Companies_That_No_Longer_Provide_R ecovery_Discs_-_A_Big_Issue)

Uh huh. When I bought my Acer laptop, it popped up with a message to create yer recovery disks every time it booted up. I would think it would be the same deal with other companies as well.

Not to mention that most desktops and laptops sold today have a "recovery partition" that you can restore from.

EDIT: Am I the only idiot who images the drive after they get a new machine home?

betrunkenaffe
January 18th, 2010, 08:45 PM
EDIT: Am I the only idiot who images the drive after they get a new machine home?

I'd install a new OS completely. Either Linux or Windows... Didn't do that with my lappy though (system76 didn't throw a bunch of crap programs on it)