PDA

View Full Version : Linux or Unix: Which is more stable?

Martial-law
December 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I just wish to know which is more stable on desktop, Linux or Unix? By Unix I mean BSDs, Solaris, Mac OS or any other Unix distro used on desktops. :guitar:

SuperSonic4
December 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Impossible question for your hardware is not known. I'd hazard a guess and suggest Mac OS is stable because their software designers have little variation in hardware to support

Other than that there's only one way to find out ;)

Majorix
December 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
i'd hazard a guess and suggest mac os is stable because their software designers have little variation in hardware to support

+1

Paqman
December 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
In practical terms, a system is only as stable as the apps it runs. So there's no real way to answer the question. By "Linux", do you mean a minimal LAMP server optimised for stability, or a desktop running the latest cutting-edge eye candy?

If you mean just the kernel, they're probably much of a muchness. But it's not a very relevant comparison, since nobody runs just a kernel.

Martial-law
December 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Impossible question for your hardware is not known. I'd hazard a guess and suggest Mac OS is stable because their software designers have little variation in hardware to support

Other than that there's only one way to find out ;)

In practical terms, a system is only as stable as the apps it runs. So there's no real way to answer the question. By "Linux", do you mean a minimal LAMP server optimised for stability, or a desktop running the latest cutting-edge eye candy?

If you mean just the kernel, they're probably much of a muchness. But it's not a very relevant comparison, since nobody runs just a kernel.

As you have just said stability depends on the hardware and the apps the OS runs. So if this is the criteria for OS stability then may I dare to say that I think Windows is also as stable as Linux or Unix? By Linux I mean a desktop running the latest cutting edge eye candy.

Sporkman
December 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Linux is perfectly stable if you lay it on its side on a flat, sturdy surface.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Linux is perfectly stable if you lay it on its side on a flat, sturdy surface.

Then why does Ubuntu enable compiz desktop effects by default on my not-ready-for-compiz IBM laptop?

In truth, compiz should be optional.

MooPi
December 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Psumi

Then why does Ubuntu enable compiz desktop effects by default on my not-ready-for-compiz IBM laptop?My guess is that your laptops original specs gave it the functionality for compiz and are currently incapable of compositing. How old is your laptop? Maybe the graphics chip is degraded.Another possibility is the chip may have the power for it but your bios hasn't delegated enough memory for it to function.

slakkie
December 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Whichever has the highest uptime! And at work, that are all our Solaris and FreeBSD and Linux boxes.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Psumi
My guess is that your laptops original specs gave it the functionality for compiz and are currently incapable of compositing. How old is your laptop? Maybe the graphics chip is degraded.Another possibility is the chip may have the power for it but your bios hasn't delegated enough memory for it to function.

It's an IBM T41 laptop. It should have about 32 MB of Video RAM and about 512 MB of System RAM.

Gone fishing
December 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
For most people Ubuntu is certainly stable enough - you want a more stable Linux maybe CentOS, or Debian but it will be harder to get the system you want (well depending what you want).

If you want Unix well you could go for Freebsd or Openbsd very conservative very stable, very secure but don't expect it to be as easy to get a modern desktop as it is in Ubuntu.

Anyone tried PCBSD your thoughts?

mybodymyself
December 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Interesting and have no clue which one is stable.

For most people Ubuntu is certainly stable enough - you want a more stable Linux maybe CentOS, or Debian but it will be harder to get the system you want (well depending what you want).

If you want Unix well you could go for Freebsd or Openbsd very conservative very stable, very secure but don't expect it to be as easy to get a modern desktop as it is in Ubuntu.

Anyone tried PCBSD your thoughts?

2nd what gone fishing said in its response to your thread.

tom66
December 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
"Unix" isn't an operating system. Instead, it's a collection of UNIX-certified Unix-like operating systems. Examples include Mac OS X and SCO's/Caldera's operating systems. Linux is not UNIX-certified, it is Unix-like.

mybodymyself
December 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
"Unix" isn't an operating system. Instead, it's a collection of UNIX-certified Unix-like operating systems. Examples include Mac OS X and SCO's/Caldera's operating systems. Linux is not UNIX-certified, it is Unix-like.

Okay and interesting none the less.

speedwell68
December 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Try Xenix that is very stable.:D