PDA

View Full Version : What do this "Think Tanks" mean?

emigrant
December 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM
eg. chassam house think tank.
i get an impression, that people are employed to think about the ongoing events in the wold and they always keep thinking get the pay check at the end of the month. :KS

Paqman
December 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Yes, it's a group of academics and/or lobbyists who consult on a particular topic.

stinger30au
December 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
yep and they dont have a brain storm while in the think tank

they have a "thought shower"

scary and true stuff:P

emigrant
December 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
what should be the qualification. i too can think well :D

Sporkman
December 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
They're a group of academics/topic experts/intellectuals who write papers & consult re particular fields, usually in political science, international issues, economics, etc.

PuddingKnife
December 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM
They're a group of academics/topic experts/intellectuals who write papers & consult re particular fields, usually in political science, international issues, economics, etc.

And often times quite influential. That's as far as I can go w/o careening into a political rant.

drawkcab
December 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Too often they are academically dishonest, engaging in ideological production on behalf of the interests of those that financially support them.

HappinessNow
December 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM
eg. chassam house think tank.
i get an impression, that people are employed to think about the ongoing events in the wold and they always keep thinking get the pay check at the end of the month. :KS

A think tank (also called a policy institute) is an organization, institute, corporation, group, or individual that conducts research and engages in advocacy in areas such as social policy, political strategy, economy, science or technology issues, industrial or business policies, or military advice. Many think tanks are non-profit organizations, which some countries such as the United States and Canada provide with tax exempt status. While many think tanks are funded by governments, interest groups, or businesses, some think tanks also derive income from consulting or research work related to their mandate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_tank

Think Tanks would simply be plural (more then one) Think Tank

fatcrab
December 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Too often they are academically dishonest, engaging in ideological production on behalf of the interests of those that financially support them.
True,so true.