PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do i upgrade kernel version ?

remush
December 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
HI all,

I'm having trouble getting a huawei E169 usb modem to work under unbuntu 9.10

I would like to try upgrading my kernel to a newer version but am not sure how to do it. my current version is 2.6.31-14

Any suggestions appreciated.

dino99
December 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
go to synaptic

search linux-image

install the latest header & image

slakkie
December 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You don't. When Ubuntu applies all kinds of updates for software in the repo's you'll upgrade your kernel as well. Provided that you have the correct meta-packages installed.

If you have the following packages installed you'll upgrade automagicly:

linux-image-generic
linux-headers-generic

If you use a different kernel then generic, pick that one, eg
linux-image-generic-pea, linux-image-ec2, linux-image-server, etc etc.

snowpine
December 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
2.6.31.16 is the latest kernel for Karmic, I believe.

Try:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

No idea if it will solve your modem problem though... I am guessing it won't. Good luck!

jimpr13
December 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Why did you write the sudo apt command?I think it uses another function

slakkie
December 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
The apt command given is correct, yet too agressive IMO. Using upgrade instead dist-upgrade would have been better.

snowpine
December 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
The apt command given is correct, yet too agressive IMO. Using upgrade instead dist-upgrade would have been better.

'sudo apt-get update' will not upgrade the kernel.
I never use it personally; always 'dist-upgrade' for me... why not? :)

snowpine
December 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Why did you write the sudo apt command?I think it uses another function

You think; I know. ;)

Gtklocker
December 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Get the latest from kernel-ppa repos.

slakkie
December 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
'sudo apt-get update' will not upgrade the kernel.
I never use it personally; always 'dist-upgrade' for me... why not? :)

AFAIK it will (at least aptitude upgrades the kernel just fine with a simple safe-upgrade, I assume apt-get upgrade will do the same). Most of the time updating a kernel does not involve package removal. If it does, in those exceptional cases you would need dist-upgrade.

Running just dist-upgrade creates chaos in my head. Before I run dist-upgrade I perform a normal one. Create order in chaos. I have less packages to worry about so I can decide quicker what is done/needs to be done.

snowpine
December 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Aptitude and apt-get are quite different in this regard.

man apt-get

I got this drilled into my head back in my Sidux days... try asking about 'aptitude safe-upgrade' over on the Sidux forums. ;)

slakkie
December 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Aptitude and apt-get are quite different in this regard.

man apt-get

I got this drilled into my head back in my Sidux days... try asking about 'aptitude safe-upgrade' over on the Sidux forums. ;)

I know they are different (in some specific details), but these upgrade commands for me are more or less the same. Still, I would still use apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade and not just an dist-upgrade. That's how I roll ;)

Bachstelze
December 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM
AFAIK it will (at least aptitude upgrades the kernel just fine with a simple safe-upgrade, I assume apt-get upgrade will do the same).

Well, you're wrong. It doesn't.

Most of the time updating a kernel does not involve package removal. If it does, in those exceptional cases you would need dist-upgrade.

No, but when upgrading to a newer major revision (like 2.6.32-8 to 2.6.32-9), it involves installing additional packages, which apt-get upgrade won't do either.

Running just dist-upgrade creates chaos in my head. Before I run dist-upgrade I perform a normal one. Create order in chaos. I have less packages to worry about so I can decide quicker what is done/needs to be done.

+1 to this. That's what I do too.

snowpine
December 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I know they are different (in some specific details), but these upgrade commands for me are more or less the same. Still, I would still use apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade and not just an dist-upgrade. That's how I roll ;)

'pacman -Syu' is how I "roll"! ;)

slakkie
December 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Well, you're wrong. It doesn't.

No, but when upgrading to a newer major revision (like 2.6.32-8 to 2.6.32-9), it involves installing additional packages, which apt-get upgrade won't do either.

Ok, then use aptitude, makes life sooo much simpler guys! :)

Bachstelze
December 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ok, then use aptitude, makes life sooo much simpler guys! :)

Nothx, I'm fine with apt-get. ;)

bapoumba
December 20th, 2009, 11:13 PM
HI all,

I'm having trouble getting a huawei E169 usb modem to work under unbuntu 9.10

I would like to try upgrading my kernel to a newer version but am not sure how to do it. my current version is 2.6.31-14

Any suggestions appreciated.
Have you seen this ?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/446146