PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Why was my KDE desktop switched with the Gnome one and how can I change it back?

sfarbota
December 20th, 2009, 05:19 AM
To clarify, I am still using KDE (Kubuntu specifically) but I also have Gnome installed. However, when I log in, my plasma desktop shows up for a few seconds, but then switches to the Gnome desktop. The plasma widgets disappear, the icons change, and the right-click menu is GTK themed and has the Gnome options rather than the KDE ones. I've been messing with a lot of options over the past few days, but I think that this probably happened because I removed a lot of native apps (Amarok, Dragon Player, Movie Player, KMail, KTorrent, Transmission, and maybe a couple more). Any ideas on how I can revert back to my KDE plasma desktop without a complete reinstallation?

Bucky Ball
December 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM
At the login screen go to 'Sessions' and select KDE.

sfarbota
December 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the reply but that wasn't the issue. As I said, I was still using KDE; just the Desktop was Gnome. Anyway, for anyone with the same problem, my question was answered here (http://superuser.com/questions/85586/why-was-my-kde-desktop-switched-with-the-gnome-one-and-how-can-i-change-it-back).

EDIT: not sure why the devil icon is there lol, that was an accident.

MooPi
December 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM
It may be all the KDE desktop applications you un-installed. The removal of all those apps, may have pulled some important dependencies with them. I'd check into reinstalling them or some of them to see if your desktop returns to normal. Always check what is being removed before un-installing.