PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Getting rid of XP

Alourien
December 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Hey guys, I have a question.

I installed Ubuntu onto a second drive keeping XP on the other. How can I make it so that I can get rid of XP and boot Ubuntu from the second without the first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

///////
December 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you want. After installing Ubuntu, you should be seeing grub boot up. Do you want to completely delete XP, get rid of the xp boot option from grub or set Ubuntu as the default OS in grub?

koba101
December 20th, 2009, 06:42 AM
if i get your question right you could erase that hardisk...as for the GRUB, you can edit it on ubuntu (startup-manager) to remove the windows selection

MelDJ
December 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM
did you install through wubi?

Alourien
December 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM
if i get your question right you could erase that hardisk...as for the GRUB, you can edit it on ubuntu (startup-manager) to remove the windows selection

But if I delete the other hard-disk, wont GRUB not boot? And to clear up my question, I am completely trying to get rid of XP.

Alourien
December 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM
did you install through wubi?

Yeah, I did. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for all your help guys!

KeLa
December 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM
It means that when you installed with wubi the ubuntu partitions are inside of an file in windows partition. So you can't remove Windows without destroying ubuntu.
You must install ubuntu via boot cd not with wubi if you want to get rid of windows.

Alourien
December 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Ha...makes sense. Thank KeLa for your help, and the others as well!