PDA

View Full Version : So, what did you make of the 'plot' of Avatar?

bluelamp999
December 20th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Admittedly, I'm not in the intended demographic (being a mature, intelligent adult) but I couldn't believe the laziness of the 'storyline' in this movie.

The tired clichés, the trite Eco-moralising, the ham-fisted references to the 'War on Terror', the embarrassingly clunky dialogue, the utter, utter predictability of it all.

But wrap it all up in a 'My Little Pony' colour scheme and 3D (3D!!! OMFG! 3D!!!) and that will distract the masses.

Of course, it's gonna be huge...

earthpigg
December 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM
i thought it was more a reference to Native Americans than the war on terror. with a sprinkling of Viet Nam.

in fact, i see nothing about the stated goals of the 'war on terror' that is similar.

how many American Marines fall in love with Iraqis and then attempt to halt American efforts in Iraq?

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I voted Trite and Predictable. I agree with this poll in that regard. It was 100% predictable. Despite that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think there should be an option that says, trite and predictable, yet awesome.

I agree with EP. The movie makes it clear that this isn't the US or any world government. It is a corporation. Furthermore, I drew the same references to Native Americans and not to the Middle East. Listen to the dialect, look at their culture. It screams Native American.

earthpigg
December 20th, 2009, 04:53 AM
it could also be a reference to European colonization of Africa.

edit: and ya, its gonna have some predictable stuff. so did titanic. so did terminator. same director. still great movies.

bluelamp999
December 20th, 2009, 05:01 AM
There is talk of fighting "terror with terror" and unleashing a "shock and awe" campaign and 'daisy-cutter' bombs. All contemporary US terms used in reference to recent and current Middle East campaigns.

Of course the blue guys are Amerindian analogues (look at the seriously unimaginatively designed 'horses') but they're viewed through a laughably revisionist Beverly Hills perspective.

Titanic? A good movie? Really?

earthpigg
December 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Titanic? A good movie? Really?

to women, yes. so not to me, no.

There is talk of fighting "terror with terror" and unleashing a "shock and awe" campaign and 'daisy-cutter' bombs. All contemporary US terms used in reference to recent and current Middle East campaigns.

you are confusing your wars, sir. shock and awe and daisy cutters where gulf war 1, just shy of two decades ago.

and can you cite a mainstream politician or military leader in the US that advocated fighting 'terror with terror'?

you are seeing what you want to see, and it seems to have taken away from your enjoyment of the movie. pity.

if anything, its a remake of the cartoon/legend Pocahontas.

supermelon928
December 20th, 2009, 05:18 AM
So what? Polar Express sucked because it was too focused on its own beautiful animation, just like Avatar. Nothing new, get over it or stop seeing movies.

bluelamp999
December 20th, 2009, 05:18 AM
to women, yes. so not to me, no.

How very true!

you are confusing your wars, sir. shock and awe and daisy cutters where gulf war 1, just shy of two decades ago.

and can you cite a mainstream politician or military leader and the US that advocated fighting 'terror with terror'?

You are, of course, right.

I suppose I just lump all that stuff together, as does the movie...

earthpigg
December 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I suppose I just lump all that stuff together, as does the movie...

he throws every cliche he can into the movie, like he always does.

but they are still often enjoyable. i look forward to seeing it.

bluelamp999
December 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM
So what? Polar Express sucked because it was too focused on its own beautiful animation, just like Avatar. Nothing new, get over it or stop seeing movies.

Or stop being caught for paying €15 ($21) for a gimmick...

bluelamp999
December 20th, 2009, 05:31 AM

Enjoy it!

And don't mind my ranting. I think I was expecting too much...

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 20th, 2009, 05:57 AM
he throws every cliche he can into the movie, like he always does.

I'll probably watch it again before it leaves theaters if I've got the cash. There were a couple moments that were just beautiful. Is it just me or did the animation seem to get better as the movie went along? I mean the main characters features looked totally bleh when I first saw him.

hobo14
December 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
The point of the movie is the visuals, not the plot.

Yes, the plot is predictable; even if you haven't seen it, you can probably tell someone how it goes!

But it really is spectacular. I've seen it in regular old 2D, I'm going back again to see it 3D.

Paqman
December 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Actually "shock and awe" as a catch phrase was the second Gulf War, and daisy cutters were originally used in Vietnam for clearing helicopter landing zones in the jungle.

XubuRoxMySox
December 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I liked the theme of respect for the indigenous critters and aboriginal folk who live in harmony with the environment. That's a positive message. It's depiction of what unchecked avarice can drive people to was kinda extreme, but that makes the movie more fun. And hey... "My Little Ponyish" or not, the animation was lovely. Watching the 3D version feels like actually being part of a spectacular video game. Awesome, mind-bending special effects more than make up for poor dialogue and the plot's predictability. Most awesomest special effects in the history of ever!

-Robin

gn2
December 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Haven't seen it, won't be paying to see it, one day when it's on TV I might record it.

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Avatar would make a great MMORPG, but bad movie...

aluget
December 20th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I've just seen it and thought the special effects were brilliant. It's a bit of a combination of tree hugging greeny rhetoric and and collonisation for the sake of the money grabbing corporations.. but not all greeny rhetoric is wrong. I thought it was one of the most visually spectacular movies I have seen for a while in 3D.. and points to our Sammy (I am from Perth in Western Australia)

spupy
December 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Think about this. The plot may be super lame. The visuals however are superb. There is no good point in watching a pirated version of the movie, since only in the theater you get everything that makes this movie somewhat watchable - the stunning 3D graphics. Combine that with the marketing. People will think, "Ok the plot may as well be stupid, but I MUST give 20$ to watch it in the theaters, because only there I can see it in its full glory." Nice strategy, imho.

I mean, if they wanted to make a movie that has redeeming qualities apart from visuals, it doesn't take that much time to come up with a plot that's even a tad better. After all, Cameron has been planning Avatar since 1994. It's obvious the story is not the main part of the movie.

hobo14
December 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Haven't seen it, won't be paying to see it, one day when it's on TV I might record it.

If you aren't going to see it in a cinema, don't bother seeing it at all. You'll miss out on the best part of the experience, and the plot isn't enough to make it worth your while.

earthpigg
December 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Cameron has been planning Avatar since 1994. It's obvious the story is not the main part of the movie.

zing!

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
i thought it was more a reference to Native Americans than the war on terror. with a sprinkling of Viet Nam.

in fact, i see nothing about the stated goals of the 'war on terror' that is similar.

Actually it is Aliens in reverse, or a happier-ending spin on Dances with Wolves. I thought it was enjoyable. We're talking a PG13 movie, not a Rated R Alfred Hitchcock flick here in terms of psychological complexity folks.

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM

The official video game is incredibly poorly done, on all levels.

supermelon928
December 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Agreed!

dragos240
December 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
My guess. All graphics, nearly no plot.

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
My guess. All graphics, nearly no plot.

Go out, see it, come back. Otherwise all "guesses" are like all opinions, and like... ...everyone has them.

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
The official video game is incredibly poorly done, on all levels.
The Official, but if was re done to a MMO, then ~well~ I think it would be better then the movie. Though still highly depends on who would create the MMO.

Skripka
December 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The Official, but if was re done to a MMO, then ~well~ I think it would be better then the movie. Though still highly depends on who would create the MMO.

Meh...the game would need totally redone, from the ground up. In trying to avoid spoiling the movie details, they avoid giving the player any useful immersion info as to what is going on and why...levelling is terrible...the player camera view is terrible, in being too fast... 3rd person view angle over the left-shoulder is terrible in a jungle environment (imagine playing the early bit of Crysis in a 3rd person view, trees always in your way etc. Little in the way of 3 dimensional abilities of moving or attack, just running around on the floor with logs everywhere..no difficulty adjustments. Just plain poorly done.

It doesn't crash-which is good. But that is about it. Lots of otherwise good games are highly unstable, and have poor coding...this one seems to have good coding and little else.

Cam42
December 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Can we merge the Avatar threads? It's getting a little annoying.

indiandruid
December 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Admittedly, I'm not in the intended demographic (being a mature, intelligent adult)

Exactly why the rest of the masses should see it. ;)

(You have to admit, the film does more good than bad and does it far, far better than 2012, Day After Tommorrow and other films that are 'eco-moralising')

aj_
December 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I got what I paid for: a memorable audiovisual experience. Same goes for 2012.

EricDrijv
December 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
I thought she was rather sexy!!!

http://www.treehugger.com/avatar-navi-blue-photo1.jpg

alphaniner
December 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I thought she was rather sexy!!!

Meh, as far as blue alien babes go, she doesn't even compare to Liara T'soni or Aayla Secura.

mehaga
December 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Call me an idiot, but... I expected more from people who gathered around ubuntu

Groucho Marxist
December 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Admittedly, I'm not in the intended demographic (being a mature, intelligent adult) but I couldn't believe the laziness of the 'storyline' in this movie.

The tired clichés, the trite Eco-moralising, the ham-fisted references to the 'War on Terror', the embarrassingly clunky dialogue, the utter, utter predictability of it all.

But wrap it all up in a 'My Little Pony' colour scheme and 3D (3D!!! OMFG! 3D!!!) and that will distract the masses.

Of course, it's gonna be huge...

I just couldn't believe it; Darth Vader is Luke's father...

NCLI
December 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Call me an idiot, but... I expected more from people who gathered around ubuntu
By that do you mean that you expected them to like the movie for what it is and like behind the unoriginal plot to see the beautiful message it was trying to get across? Yes, yes I agree.

Or did you mean that you expected them to take kindly to the message of protecting the planet and all of us sharing a common bond? Then I also agree.

solitaire
December 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
If you have a look around pBay you'll find Cameron's "treatment" (Original Script) for Avatar.
It's slightly different to what made it on screen, (Think they had to do it to get a non R rating)

Basically they were more like the characters from aliens. The CEO was more like the git from aliens too.

Also there was a bigger back-story about WHY they were there (it was basically it was a 1 way trip unless you fulfilled your 10 year contract). Better explanation of a crowded planet which has run out of natural resources, they are having to mine any planet they can get to, to get enough raw materials for earth to survive.
Hopefully it will make it onto a Special edition of the Movie sometime.....

Zoot7
December 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I saw it as symbolic to what would probably happen if our capitalist society ever found its way to a world inhabited by a more primitive race sitting upon a valuable natural resource not native to ours.
JMO...

earthpigg
December 27th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I saw it as symbolic to what would probably happen if our capitalist society ever found its way to a world inhabited by a more primitive race sitting upon a valuable natural resource not native to ours.
JMO...

something i found interesting was that the humans weren't even able to properly use the natural resource they had 'discovered'.

it's like conquering an oil-rich land, and then using the oil for nothing but simple oil lamps and cigarette lighters...

or conquering the American plains, and then killing the bison to make room for cows... instead of breeding and farming the bison that are both healthier to eat and more cost-effective to raise.

(subsidies, tax breaks, and the extreme level of refinement on cattle farms are the only reason beef is currently cheaper. the steroids and other crap we feed bovine do little more than attempt to make them more like bison.)

mehaga
December 28th, 2009, 12:15 AM
By that do you mean that you expected them to like the movie for what it is and like behind the unoriginal plot to see the beautiful message it was trying to get across? Yes, yes I agree.

Or did you mean that you expected them to take kindly to the message of protecting the planet and all of us sharing a common bond? Then I also agree.

All of the above. And more, which I initially came here to write about, but got completely discouraged by what others had to say.
I'm glad you agree, though :)

Groucho Marxist
December 28th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Avatar is a multifaceted product designed to sell and promote several ideas.

The paradox of purchasing/consuming petroleum-based merchandise inspired by a science-fiction film based upon an oil consumption metaphor
In Hollywood, no one can hear you scream, "Oh, the melodrama!"
A film can be an "experience," in that every person in the audience will "experience" the same pre-programmed sensations and reactions with little to no variation from their neighbors.
Optical-illusion based media is the "wave of the future" (This is not to be confused with 3D-movie/ "Smell-O-Vision" marketing statements made in the 1950s)
TREES GOOD. [FIRE BAD.]
Screenwriting is optional

Exodist
December 28th, 2009, 02:17 AM
It was ok. I just watched it the other night. It wasnt bad, but it sure didnt leave you guessing on anything.

BTW if anyone watched South Park - Dances with Smurfs, ep 1313. (http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251890) You must in reference to Avatar.. LOL