PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Need to install software

Randymanme
December 20th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'm a Linux newbie and don't know how to do a lot of things. Five months ago, I asked a friend at FreeGeek Columbus to delete the extaneous operating systems from my computer just leaving the one I used, and he accidently deleted them all. “No problem,” I said, “I'll just reinstall when I get home.”

But everytime I try to reinstall K/Ubuntu, I get an error message saying
Installation Failed
The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:
[errno 5] Input/output error
. . .

That happens with four Ubuntu installation Cds, three live Ubuntu Cds, one Kubuntu live CD, and one Fedora live CD. I suppose there's a problem with my DVD rom. PCLinuxOS and openSUSE, however, do install, so those are what I've been using (I've only recently ceased with openSUSE, for the time being).

Today, however, I got lucky trying out something different. I used an Ubuntu 9.04 alternative CD (not live as they abort when they come to the input/output error message) to install the base system and grub with lvm. It allows me skip over software installation which is where the input/output error message happens. It boots to a command line. I don't know what commands to use to get the software to install from a mirror, or how to install repositories from the command line.

Will someone help me out here? I've never had Kubuntu, per se (only Ubuntu with the KDE desktop); so since PCLinuxOS GNOME 2010 (a rolling distro) is more stable and polished than Ubuntu 9.10, I'd like to fill my base system out with Kubuntu software.

Any and all help and direction would be very much appreciated. By the way; 10 months ago, I didn't know what an operating system was and had no clue about even the notion of free source technology. For me, computing started with Hardy Heron and I really miss Ubuntu. Please help me get home. :P

sgosnell
December 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Did you verify the md5sum for the downloaded .iso files, and check the integrity of the burned disks? Getting a bad burn is all too common, and it may just be a bad CD, or a corrupt .iso.

Randymanme
December 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM
No to all of the above.

Do I need to do that with the CD I used today?

sgosnell
December 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I would recommend it. Boot from the CD, but select the option to check the disk for errors. If none are found, check the md5sum of the .iso you downloaded. Instructions are here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM). Some people say that downloading via torrents is more likely to give a good .iso.

Randymanme
December 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
"./pics/logo-50.jpg file failed the Md5 checksum verification. Your CD or this file may have been corrupted."

I burned the CD (along with about 6 others) somewhere in the area of six or seven months ago. What do you suggest next?

sgosnell
December 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Download a fresh .iso, preferably using torrents. Verify the md5sum, then burn to CD, and verify the integrity of that before trying to install. Burn it at the slowest speed you can tolerate.

Randymanme
September 20th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Thank you very much. Sorry to have neglected to say, "Thank You."

Thank you very much.