PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Nvidia driver screwed up everything.

tominated
December 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Hi guys,

I FINALLY got my mythbuntu box set up last night (asrock ion 330 barebones), and this morning I activated the nvidia drivers that it recommended. That's where it went downhill. I can no longer do anything because of massive graphical artifacts, freezing, etc. How can I disable it, and is there a guide on installing the newest driver nvidia is offering for linux (i think it is 190 something)?

Thanks in advance!

RedSingularity
December 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Before you go any further lets get you some working graphics. Can you get into a command line?

tominated
December 20th, 2009, 02:59 AM
well, graphics worked fine using the open source driver, but i just installed the 190.53 driver manually, which helped (it actually ran), but i still got some artifacting and it just randomly went back to the login screen after a few minutes. I logged in, and the menu thing didn't open. i could right click the desktop and open things, but they had no window controls. i'm doing an update now, which might help, but we'll see, i guess

tominated
December 20th, 2009, 10:47 AM
OK, i have tried multiple things and as soon as any nvidia software is introduced, the whole thing goes down the sh*tter. I am doing a memtest now, and if that doesn't work i will lower the amount of ram dedicated to gfx

tominated
December 20th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Memtest showed no errors. Changing video memory does nothing, and I am on my 50 bazillionth install. Currently using a very minimal version of ubuntu described here: http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMCbuntu#Method_1a:_add_NVIDIA_repository. As soon as anything graphical appears, artefacts appear and it crashes. Something to do with nvidia just doesn't agree with my system. Might try get a replacement box.

RedSingularity
December 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Post the output of

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

While the problem persists.