PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace Windows 6.1 on my T-Mo. Shadow 2009?

Greg Xix
December 19th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I spent $320 on a phone, mainly so I can use it for its Wi-Fi/UMA technology. But, unfortunately the Phone: a T-mobile Shadow 2009, comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 preinstalled. And although I am getting used to it, I would rather "get used to" a version of Linux on there instead. Mainly because I cannot customize WM 6.1 that much. Since I am 'Winblows Free' on all 3 of my home computers, I can't "Sync" the device to copy Mp3's and stuff to the phone either.

I am considering taking it back and getting a blackberry pearl instead. But the shadow looks cool and I dont like tiny cell phones, since I am kind of a big guy.

I don't believe that this device is Ubuntu Mobile capable, at least not easily without doing some level of reverse engineering.

http://www.gsmarena.com/t_mobile_shadow_2-2656.php

stenci
December 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Return it and get a MyTouch.
Android is derived from Linux, you can root it and have all the fun you want.

GoodPanos
December 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Yep, I agree with stenci. BB Pearl is a small phone compared to the MyTouch.

oakgrove
December 24th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I have a rooted G1 from T-Mo running Android. Hands down the greatest piece of hand-held technology I've ever used. And this is someone coming from a long line of Windows Mobile duds.

Underneath the pretty interface its Linux through and through. Many of the same tools, runs Debian in a bootstrap, the works. Can't recommend it enough.