PDA

View Full Version : Songbird-like application for *nix?

DigitalDuality
February 25th, 2006, 04:27 AM
I was at work late this evening waiting on some backups and a server defrag and playing around on my windows box there..and stumbled across this little gem in a post on digg.com

http://www.songbirdnest.com/

I downloaded it and played around with it.. and fell in love. It still could use alot of work, but it's a slick application and stands out to be great competition for WMP and iTunes... but with features no media player has ever really seen before. It's wonderful And best yet.. it's FOSS and based on Firefox.

I was so happy b/c the front page says "For windows, mac, and linux" yet there's currently only a Windows version as it stands right now.

Anyone know of a similar application that currently runs on Linux?

plb
February 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Linux version will be here in a few weeks, and there will be debian packages available when its released...I already spoke to songbird devs :p

DigitalDuality
February 25th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Awesome.

There's that damned OSS community kicking software in the *** and making it innovate again.

*shucks*
/sarcasm :)

xequence
February 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM
1045 track(s) added to the playlist

Wow. FAST! It took like 5 seconds to do that.

TTT_travis
February 25th, 2006, 05:42 AM
hopefully there will be better themes, I don't think I can take the all black thing it will clash with my linux theme. Wow, that sounded gay ;)

DigitalDuality
February 25th, 2006, 05:54 AM
no no see...

man on man fellatio is gay..

you're just concerned with being fabulous ;)

I actually like the all black.. i'm sure this will be skinnable.

quietglow
February 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM
FWIW,

Songbird runs perfectly in Wine right now if you want a preview of the native version still forthcoming--and don't want to taint your soul by using an evil OS...no wait :-)

aysiu
February 25th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Songbird runs perfectly in Wine right now if you want a preview of the native version still forthcoming--and don't want to taint your soul by using an evil OS...no wait :-) Can I ask how you got it to run in Wine? When I try to run it in Wine, I get this:
wine "z:\home\aysiu\.wine\drive_c\Program Files\Songbird\Songbird.exe"
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR71.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system\\MSVCP71.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP71.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\aysiu\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Songbird\\Songbird.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR71.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\aysiu\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Songbird\\Songbird.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\aysiu\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Songbird\\Songbird.exe" failed, status c0000135