PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Slow & Unwieldy & Not reading drives properly

Shrouded
December 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I installed Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago and have been having all sorts of problems.
My system is functional in clean windows install. Desktop effects are off. I installed pysdm. Two of my drives refuse to accept the settings in pysdm. When I run "sudo pysdm" and apply same settings as other drives Teminal says:

Warning: Unknown option: rw
Warning: nouser is not suitable for user
Warning: Unknown option: async
Warning: nls=iso8859-1 can be not suitable for nls
Warning: umask=000 can be not suitable for umask
Warning: nls=iso8859-1 can be not suitable for nls
Warning: umask=000 can be not suitable for umask

The drives work, but are ridiculously slow to load and it is read only.
When I try saving *any* file anywhere the application doing it freezes for like half a minute.

The drives in question are ntfs (as are all the others) and i installed ntfs-whatever to get me ntfsfix. ntfsfix says drives are fine.

I've mucked about with chmod and chown, but they don't seem to do anything at all

I switched to the realm of linux because I was tired of windows decaying bloatware. Why is the faster opensource soooo much slower. I've searched the forums and can't find anything remotely helpful just people complaining and commenting "me too" (ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-895502.html). Possible solutions would be appreciated.