PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone like to know how?

Extract_Here
December 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Would anyone like to know how to install a tar.gz AKA tarballs?

I'll explain if the information is needed.

Extract_Here
December 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Install tar.gz files AKA tarballs?

mikewhatever
December 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
No, thank you.:-\"

freak42
December 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I think forums usually work the other way round. No?

Extract_Here
December 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
oh I thought it would be harmless to spread knowledge but if it is harmful i guess i wont.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I already know how. It's usually in the README or INSTALL file in the tarball. Or you can Google it (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+compile+from+source+Ubuntu) and the first link is a HowTo on it.

Edit: Now that I think about it a tarball is just a compressed file and can be just about anything. So are you looking to compile source or... another one might be installing a theme or something.

mikewhatever
December 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It is harmless, but given the knowledge is freely available, why do you feel you should be spreading it? Besides, with extensive Ubuntu repositories, very few packages need to be compiled from source.

prolapse
December 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
thanks a lot but theres no need there are a lot of excellent guides to installing software on ubuntu such as this one (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware). your willingness to help is great though thats what the forum are all about. :)

coffeecat
December 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
oh I thought it would be harmless to spread knowledge but if it is harmful i guess i wont.

It is harmless, but given the knowledge is freely available, why do you feel you should be spreading it? Besides, with extensive Ubuntu repositories, very few packages need to be compiled from source.

@Extract_Here, I wouldn't say it is harmless - perhaps inadvisable rather than harmful. Reason? There are still plenty of people new to the Linux world, conditioned by the Windows way of doing things and who don't know about the repositories. They go hunting on the net, find source code in tar.gz format, download it and get in a pickle trying to install it. Posts in this Beginner Talk forum showing how to compile from source gives inexperienced people the impression that that is how they *should* install Linux software.

Educate newcomers about the repositories and how installing software is easier than in Windows. :)

bumanie
December 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Advice and tips on how to use ubuntu is usually posted on Tutorials and tips, found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100).
And...I already know how to, thanks.

Extract_Here
December 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I just thought I would post this because when I was inexperienced user I wanted to know how to compile from source. But if its unnecessary I'll just wait for someone who wants to know how.

just here to help
linux was confusing to me at first and I would have liked to have someone to talk to rather than read a guide that can get confusing.

FormatSeize
December 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Would anyone like to know how to install a tar.gz AKA tarballs?

I'll explain if the information is needed.

YES!! Please!
I just made a post asking for very, very similar info, and I'm about to lose my mind.
I have Slackware 13, and Ubuntu Lucid Linux, and I can do this on neither, I've googled and looked and read and nothing seems to work.

Extract_Here
December 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
as you can see in the conversation above people were telling me it was unnecessary to postthings like this when there are plenty of good guides. i understand that you would rather talk to someone than stare at a confusing guide am i correct?

bumanie
December 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
We realise you are well meaning. But imagine if everyone put up a "do you want to know how to do this?" page on the forum - the forum would end up being a tutorial page, rather than a forum - it is better to wait until someone asks a specific question - then answer it - that's sort of how forums work, whereas, tutorial pages give instructions of how to do things. When someone can't find/understand on the tutorial pages, they then come to the forum for specific help.

andrew.46
December 19th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hi Format,

I have Slackware 13, and Ubuntu Lucid Linux, and I can do this on neither,

For Slackware have a look at http://slackbuilds.org/ which will show how to install from and also create Slackware 'wrapper' scripts, all of which involve dealing with the original source + compiling.

Andrew

mikewhatever
December 20th, 2009, 12:25 AM
This is the funniest thread I've seen in a while.

Cheesemill
December 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Also bear in mind that saying 'installing a .tar.gz file' is the same as saying 'installing a zip file', there could be any number of different things inside.

A .tar.gz file is just an archive, it could contain source code, a .bin file, a shell script, a java program etc etc .............

Extract_Here
December 20th, 2009, 01:28 AM
this is just getting ridiculous
I'm trying to help
I realize this is a forum not a guide but I was just putting the option out there lets call this on DONE.

FormatSeize
December 20th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Hi Format,

For Slackware have a look at http://slackbuilds.org/ which will show how to install from and also create Slackware 'wrapper' scripts, all of which involve dealing with the original source + compiling.

Andrew
Thanks! It's working now.:P

overdrank
December 20th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Threads merged

unknownPoster
December 20th, 2009, 03:00 AM
This is the funniest thread I've seen in a while.

It's sad but true.