PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What does copying recursively mean?

Zilioum
December 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I use the command "cp -r" quite often. I know that it means to copy files recursively, but what difference doest that make in comparison to, lets say plain simple "cp"?

Puck7
December 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Without the -r function the directories will not be copied. Paste from the man file (http://www.devdaily.com/unix/linux-cp-command-man-page):

-R, -r, --recursive
copy directories recursively

Zilioum
December 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your answer, but I have already read the manual. I want to know why that "-r" exists and what it means, technically speaking. If you needed it for everything, wouldn't it just be "cp" instead of "cp -r"?

seeker5528
December 19th, 2009, 10:05 PM
You don't need the '-r' for everything, you only need it if you want to copy recursively.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recursive

Some of the other options work recursively already like the '-a' option, which I use much more commonly than the '-r' option since I typically want my permissions, ownership and symlinks to be preserved.

Later, Seeker

falconindy
December 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
cp without the recursive flag won't copy directories.

Zilioum
December 20th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all your answers, but I still dont know what ubuntu really does when I run "cp -r". I know recursive functions from programming, but what does it have to do with copying a file?

cp without the recursive flag won't copy directories. Why?

Concerning "cp -a": Where does it put the archives or backups? The manual isnt very clear on that.

I'm just trying to get a more in-depth understanding on what happens with certain commands.

Cheers

jakupl
December 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Lets play that you want to copy a directory called "/directory"

in the directory, you have a lot of pictures but and folders with pictures.

when you do:

cp -r /directory/* /here

you copy all the pictures and folders, where

cp /directory/* /here

will only copy the pictures in the actual directory, not the ones in deeper folders.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now concerning

cp -a

it goes where you want it to go, for instance

cp -a /directory/* /here

makes it go "/here"

ratcheer
December 20th, 2009, 03:03 PM
In simpler terms, it means copy the directory and all its files and subdirectories and all their files and subdirectories of the subdirectories and all their files, and on and on, recursively, to the bottom of the directory tree from the starting point.

Tim

Zilioum
December 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Now it makes sense, thanks a lot!

But what is the difference between "cp -a" and "cp -r" ?
In the manual it says:

-a, --archive same as -dR --preserve=all
--backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file

What does that mean, or for what would you need to use "cp -a"?

Cheers

falconindy
December 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
Concerning "cp -a": Where does it put the archives or backups? The manual isnt very clear on that.
the "archive" implication the -a flag means that, among other things, attributes such as permissions and ownership are preserved, which is desirable when using 'cp' to make a backup of files. Normally, when copying, the permissions and owner of the new file are attuned to the user performing the copy. Try using sudo to copy a file out of your $HOME and you'll see what I mean. Because of this, the -a flag is used to prevent this from occurring.

'cp -a', as the man page says, is the same as using 'cp -dr --preserve=all'. So it's a recursive copy that wont follow symlinks and won't alter the permissions and ownership of the source files.

Scott O'Nanski
January 14th, 2010, 10:40 PM
In simpler terms, it means copy the directory and all its files and subdirectories and all their files and subdirectories of the subdirectories and all their files, and on and on, recursively, to the bottom of the directory tree from the starting point.

Tim

An this, ladies and gentlemen is an EXCELLENT example of a simple, easy to understand, INTELLIGENT explanation.

Thank you, Tim.