PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Multiple desktops

petmyhat
December 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hey guys,
i recently installed Kubuntu using wubi, got it all to work fine, including mp3 (but it wont play through Amarok still, only from the preview thing in the music folder itself xD).

anyhow, i decided to install compiz fusion, you know, mess around with it a little, see how it works, all for good fun, but i can't get that cube kinda thing because i only have 2 desktops, so yeah i tried to change that to four but it won't let me. when i click apply > ok, it simply sticks with 2 desktops instead of 4.

i know this is not really super important, but it kind of bugs me a little that it wont work. what should i do?

thanks in advance,
Dennis

3Miro
December 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
1. Under KDE it is better to use Kwin. It is the default manager. It has most of the effects of Compiz (the useful ones anyway) and KDE apps interact better with it. It also has additional functionality that Compiz cannot get (like preview a minimized window).

2. Once you enable compiz, it takes charge and most of the regular video settings of KDE are no longer valid (compiz overrides them). You need to install compiz-config-manager, then you can change number of desktops and such from those menus.

hariks0
December 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
In kde, right clicking on the desktop switcher applet gives you a menu with two options [I don't remember it exactly]. One to change the number of desktop and the other asks for the number of rows. Change the first to 4 and the second to 1. That will give you the cube.