PDA

View Full Version : linux mint

trixman
December 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
hi to all was just wondering if anybody here in these great forums ever tried linux mint.

thanks

Small_Nuke
December 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I've tried Mint a few times. It's exactly like Ubuntu with mediabuntu repo installed, except Clem fixes a few bugs and it comes with a nice green/gray theme and wallpaper instead of the 'Human' orange and brown theme and wallpaper.

Sure, there a few minor differences, but to act like they're anything major would be splitting hairs.

bambootree
December 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
LinuxMint seems easier to use but I prefer Ubuntu to Mint :)

trixman
December 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I've tried Mint a few times. It's exactly like Ubuntu with mediabuntu repo installed, except Clem fixes a few bugs and it comes with a nice green/gray theme and wallpaper instead of the 'Human' orange and brown theme and wallpaper.

Sure, there a few minor differences, but to act like they're anything major would be splitting hairs.

are the free programs the same also ?

thanks

RiceMonster
December 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Never tried it, and don't think I ever will.

Small_Nuke
December 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
are the free programs the same also ?

thanks

Mint has full support for the Ubuntu repos, so anything you can get from Ubuntu you can also get on Mint. However, Mint has it's own repos and software center program that provides screen shots and better descriptions.

So....the answer would be, yes.

trixman
December 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Mint has full support for the Ubuntu repos, so anything you can get from Ubuntu you can also get on Mint. However, Mint has it's own repos and software center program that provides screen shots and better descriptions.

So....the answer would be, yes.

thanks

Megaptera
December 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Tried Mint, liked it but decided it was a bit too polished if you see what I mean? There was nothing really to play around with - so good if that's what you're after. Good to show Windows users that Linux can be simple to set up & use and have a menu similar to Vista in ease of use.

Great thing with Linux is ... something for everyone and all free to try!!!

Season'e Greetings!

trixman
December 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Tried Mint, liked it but decided it was a bit too polished if you see what I mean? There was nothing really to play around with - so good if that's what you're after. Good to show Windows users that Linux can be simple to set up & use and have a menu similar to Vista in ease of use.

Great thing with Linux is ... something for everyone and all free to try!!!

Season'e Greetings!

yes that is what i enjoy about linux different flavors but they all are neat to the eyes.

seasons greetings

vaiocomputer
December 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Tried it about a year ago with the GNOME live CD, and did not understand what all the fuss was about. Never used it again. I didn't really liked how it looked, the colors and the rather low-quality feel it had. I liked the more user-friendly Ubuntu GNOME style menus better, and didn't want to have to wait until Linux Mint finally got through with its corresponding Ubuntu version to get the latest updates.

It's funny, I've never actually used a distro based on Ubuntu that was better than Ubuntu itself.

XubuRoxMySox
December 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
It's pre-tweaked Ubuntu and some nice tools added.

I tried "Gloria" (based on Jaunty) and really liked it, but it was alot slower than Ubuntu was on the same computer.

I hear that a new person has taken over working on the long-awaited Mint LXDE community edition, and that the latest Xfce edition beats even Xubuntu for speed and ease (which is really saying something because Xubuntu rocks).

What began as "plagiarized Ubuntu with codecs and green paint" seems to be coming more into it's own of late.

-Robin

tacantara
December 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I had Mint set up on a partition to experiment with it. I liked the GUI and the fact that it comes with the media extras already installed. Beyond that, it wasn't much different from Ubuntu. Mint is probably a good way to introduce people to Linux as it doesn't require a whole lot of post-installation package gathering to run the more common programs (video players, etc.).

That being said, the differences in Mint weren't significant enough to convince me to change from Ubuntu. This is one of the joys of Linux - choice :)

NoaHall
December 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
It doesn't support 64 bit as much as 32 bit. I'm never touching it. Besides, the only differences between it and ubuntu is that "it's shiny". If I wanted something like that, I'd use KDE

HappyFeet
December 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I think mint makes for a great live cd, but I don't care for the way it looks, and I don't need codecs preinstalled. Therefore, for me, ubuntu wins.

thewooferbbk
December 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
My self i been there about a two weeks, and just today i decided to turn buck from where i began enjoying linux (ubuntu i mean). Ahh!, Mint is good, cute some how, but i think there are too much graphical effects that affects its performance somehow!,

One good thing is, after installing it, there is a full support of for mp3 and almost any other music file formats without the need to download them, this is one of the major difference to most distros i've noticed, and there nothing bores me than when i finish installing one, and i have no choice for listenning to music untill i download the gstreamer package which is a little huge for slower connections that i almost face!

However All linux distros are good! and its much bettre to test them if you feel so!
Go on Man!.....

Stan_1936
December 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
LinuxMint seems easier to use....

How so? Please explain!

e-Gee
December 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
No too green and windows like for me, I like brown and orange and human theme :lolflag:

Raffles10
December 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Never tried it, and don't think I ever will.

Nice open mind. How to learn ? By not trying things. =D>

Grifulkin
December 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
hi to all was just wondering if anybody here in these great forums ever tried linux mint.

thanks

I used it as a liveCD way way way to easy for me to be interested in it. And way to graphical.

RiceMonster
December 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Nice open mind. How to learn ? By not trying things. =D>

It doesn't interest me, and I don't feel the need to try every distro ever. I'm not bashing it or anything. It has nothing to do with being close-minded. What do I have to learn from it anyway?

I've seen you bashing other distros before, so speak for yourself please :).

gn2
December 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I recently switchd my Ubuntu 8.04 laptop to the Ubuntu 9.10 based Mint 8, it's really rather good and suits me perfectly.

Someone mentioned poor 64-bit support in Mint, this is not really a problem, it just takes a while longer to get the 64 bit version released, once it is released, it's perfectly OK.

BrokenKingpin
December 20th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I have, but fail to see what it offers over Ubuntu that really warrants the fork.

~sHyLoCk~
December 20th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Linux Mint 8 has been more stable than karmic to everyone I gave it to. I don't know if they actually patch anything ubuntu releases but it has worked considerably better than karmic.
Plus the easy ready to use access to codecs and other apps which work ootb is quite attractive for people with no/poor internet connection and those who just want their system to get up and running.

Regards

l-x-l
December 20th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I've tried Mint 7 for a month. Loved it. I recommend it to anyone new to Linux because it has everything you'd need pre-installed. For instance, if I was setting up a PC for my mom or younger sibling Mint is a great choice. Very easy to use.

drawkcab
December 20th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I fail to see what is so special about Mint.

I do, however, think that Linux Mint XFCE community edition is way better than xubuntu. The problem is that it takes so long for Mint XFCE to appear that, by the time it rolls around, the next version of 'buntu is available.

darco
December 20th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I use Mint 8 x64 as my Main OS...excellente! My Fav!
I have Lucid x64 on a second HDD..breakage fun!
I have Win 7 on a second partition..Games!
I have Karmic x32 on my laptop..super stable!

I enjoy them all!

darco

slimjimmy23
December 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I downloaded the burned a Mint CD the other day, when I went to turn off the comp after booting into the live CD I discovered a bear that told me I was ugly and my mother dresses me funny.:lolflag:

Slug71
December 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have it on my test system. I like it but its really not much different to Ubuntu. I recently upgraded to 'Helena" and so far so good. It does seem slower than Ubuntu though and for some reason and seems to load the CPU.
Not sure if thats 'normal' or if it is from something when i did the upgrade from 'Gloria'.

I really like MintInstall or Software Manager as its now called.

I still use Xubuntu most of the time though.