PDA

View Full Version : The future of Ubuntu

Jasonx86
December 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Interested to know in what direction you think the Ubuntu project is headed in the next couple of years.

Also, what you think the impact of Canonical withdrawing its support from Ubuntu would be.

Thanks.

pwnst*r
December 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
they're withdrawing support? no they're not.

Small_Nuke
December 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Ubuntu will probably remain a major distro of Linux in the next few years. It's uncertain if anything major will happen between Windows and Ubuntu or other Linux distros. I predict that the majority of desktop users will encounter at least one piece of software that has been open-sourced over the next few years. Eventually Linux will get recognized as a desktop OS; if the distros will be ready for it will be another story.

If Canonical dropped support for Ubuntu then there would probably be a time when people would leave Ubuntu and head for Mint or other Ubuntu forks. Eventually the dedicated community would release an Ubuntu like clone and it would gain support. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but would probably drive quite a few users back to their previous OS or a different distro.

bambootree
December 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Withdrawing their support ? No. I don't think so. But what if they ... ? Who knows ? I can't imagine ... :)

Psumi
December 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Withdrawing their support ? No. I don't think so. But what if they ... ? Who knows ? I can't imagine ... :)

I can. And you know what? The only difference is the removal of the Software Center and the add/remove system.

chillyomi
December 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Ubuntu is pretty awesome

Grenage
December 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
they're withdrawing support? no they're not.

what you think the impact of Canonical withdrawing its support from Ubuntu would be

He didn't say they were...

I doubt the direction will change at all.

XubuRoxMySox
December 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Ubuntu ghas a long, happy life ahead of it for a long time to come. The cooperation Ubuntu gets from manufacturers like Dell and collaboration with giants like Google means bigger and better things to come long into the future.

-Robin

squilookle
December 20th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Didn't they set up some kind of fund to support Ubuntu in the event that Canonical did withdraw support?

I do think it would find a way to stand on it's own feet if that were the case, but I don't believe support is actually being withdrawn.

speedwell68
December 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM
but I don't believe support is actually being withdrawn.

It isn't.

mybodymyself
December 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Have no clue and I hope it doesn't really change. Mean that it does its roots and etc. At the same time would love it to be more mainstream then it is at the moment. Unsure if I want it be with Micro or Apple at this time.

BrokenKingpin
December 20th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I am sure Ubuntu will remain one of the most popular distros over the next couple years. I just hope the put more effort into stability.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I am sure Ubuntu will remain one of the most popular distros over the next couple years. I just hope the put more effort into stability.

Like Debian? Where it can't even detect Ethernet cards with the CD-1 iso? No thanks.

Exodist
December 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Like Debian? Where it can't even detect Ethernet cards with the CD-1 iso? No thanks.

Ehh, from what I have noticed over the past 10 years. Every distro has a hit or miss on hardware sometimes. Just have to enjoy them all and be happy you have a choice. :-)

BrokenKingpin
December 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM
What does Debian's CD-1 iso have to do with stability? I am glad Ubuntu is taking a more modern approach than Debian is, but it shouldn't sacrifice stability in the process.

Back to your ignorant Debian comment. Did you know you can download 150 MB iso for Debian that has Ethernet support in the installer? This will let you pick and choose what packages to download in the installer or just give you a bare bones install, with Ethernet support.

Ehh, from what I have noticed over the past 10 years. Every distro has a hit or miss on hardware sometimes.
Yes, this is very much the truth, but it just seems in general that the latest Ubuntu release is just generally more buggy, not just with hardware support. I would rather have a longer release cycle to have a more stable release, than to have a less stable release, with cutting edge software.

Psumi
December 20th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Back to your ignorant Debian comment. Did you know you can download 150 MB iso for Debian that has Ethernet support in the installer? This will let you pick and choose what packages to download in the installer or just give you a bare bones install, with Ethernet support.

Link please?

BrokenKingpin
December 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Link please?
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

steveneddy
December 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
There are enough advanced users here that I believe the repos might change but the distro will live on.

I also don't think that Canonical will cease support of Ubuntu.

cariboo
December 21st, 2009, 07:55 AM
In case Canonical falls by the wayside, there is always the Ubuntu Foundation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Foundation).

jrusso2
December 21st, 2009, 08:01 AM
The future of Ubuntu is pretty much what it is now. Linux and Ubuntu will always be minor players on the desktop.

inobe
December 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
Have no clue and I hope it doesn't really change. Mean that it does its roots and etc. At the same time would love it to be more mainstream then it is at the moment. Unsure if I want it be with Micro or Apple at this time.

hardware will change faster

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/northstar-advantage/advantage2.jpg

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/dell_ubuntu_lappy1.jpg

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ubuntu1_29_02_08.jpg

the programs only accommodate the hardware.

omskates
December 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
The future of Ubuntu is pretty much what it is now. Linux and Ubuntu will always be minor players on the desktop.
Be careful with that word "always". There are lots of unexpected circumstances that could push open source OS as the majority.