PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no such device grub

ubudog
December 19th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Hi, I am not new to Ubuntu, used it for 3 years. I have a desktop that I wanted to install Ubuntu on. I booted with the live cd and installed it, no error. Then I rebooted it, but at the grub menu, it said "error:no such device" and then it had some long number.

Any help appreciated.

Tclarkie
December 19th, 2009, 04:15 AM
can u please post ur /boot/grub/grub.cfg file please

ubudog
December 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
can u please post ur /boot/grub/grub.cfg file please

I tried to use the recovery mode to drop to a root shell, but when I tried to boot it, it said "no such device." So I cannot access a terminal.

Tclarkie
December 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Lol, sorry. Any how do u have an available Ubuntu live cd, if so great, if not, get one. Boot off the cd and mount the hdd, then open /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and copy paste the contents into a post

ubudog
December 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Lol, sorry. Any how do u have an available Ubuntu live cd, if so great, if not, get one. Boot off the cd and mount the hdd, then open /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and copy paste the contents into a post

Ok, might be a couple of days until I respond. Need to get a new monitor.

ubudog
December 21st, 2009, 10:17 PM
Nevermind, got it figured out.

bobbypos
January 10th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Could you please post your solution? I'm having the exact same problem. :( Thanks!

ubudog
January 10th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I just downgraded to 9.04.

drs305
January 10th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Edit: ubudog, glad you 'solved' your problem. I meant to respond to MrATM. Since your problem was resolved I didn't think you'd mind providing him this space to assist.

Could you please post your solution? I'm having the exact same problem. :( Thanks!

The details are sketchy, but it sounds like the error "no such device" plus a "long number" is probably an error stating that it can't find a UUID.

If you post your error message in more detail we can probably help. Download and run this script will probably tell us what we need to know:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Download to your Desktop, then run:

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script047.sh
Copy the contents of RESULTS.txt into your response, highlight it, and then click on the # symbol in the menu above so the entry is placed within a message box.

MrATM
January 10th, 2010, 04:38 AM
What was your problem? I seem to be having the same one.

ubudog
January 10th, 2010, 04:38 AM
The details are sketchy, but it sounds like the error "no such device" plus a "long number" is probably an error stating that it can't find a UUID.

If you post your error message in more detail we can probably help. Download and run this script will probably tell us what we need to know:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Download to your Desktop, then run:

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script047.sh
Post the contents of RESULTS.txt. In your reply, please copy the entry, highlight it, and then click on the # symbol in the menu so the entry is placed within a message box.

I fixed it by downgrading to Jaunty.