PDA

View Full Version : So there's this distro called "Windows?"

murderslastcrow
December 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Hi. I've been using Linux for a long time. I like to compare OpenSUSE and Fedora and Ubuntu, and generally have a spare partition just for trying out other distributions.

But, when it comes to comparisons, I see people comparing Ubuntu to the Windows distro A LOT. But everything I read makes it seem like Windows has some compatibility issues, and is based on a different kind of unix, but still widely used? It's all very confusing, since people seem to be really angry about it.

So, I was just wondering where I could get the ISO for this? I just wanna' try it out and see what the most recent version's like so I can test it out. I'll have to use a USB drive since my CD-drive's busted, though, so I'm guessing I should use UNetbootin (Windows doesn't come as a default option for this). Also, my computer has 256 MB of RAM, so it'd be nice to find a version with Gnome, since KDE 4's still a little choppy for me in comparison (getting better, though).

And I was wondering if any of you have tried this distro in the past? I mean, I haven't heard of anything too convincing in the comparisons and reviews. Any interesting features? File manager? Better package management? Does it handle hardware well?

I'm just a little curious as to why it's always getting so much attention.

deadalus.globalnode
December 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Windows is a copyright protected piece of software, not legally free. It is quite expensive and has more vulnerability's and bugs than a Gibson super computer can count. Hardware it does pretty good. There is no package manager and it comes packaged with very few apps. You have to download each individual program on its own and you can only run programs built strictly for the windows system.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 19th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Never heard Windows called a "distro" before.

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I think the "I've used Linux so long that I thought Windows was just an unheard-of distro of it" intentional pun/joke has been done before.

Cam42
December 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I think the "I've used Linux so long that I thought Windows was just an unheard-of distro of it" intentional pun/joke has been done before.

+infinitybillion.

murderslastcrow
December 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Oh, so I can't try it out. Pfft, nevermind. And hearing about the security issues it sounds like a bad idea, too. Hmmmm...

pwnst*r
December 19th, 2009, 01:05 AM

and as per usual, it's not funny.