PDA

View Full Version : Google vs. Bing

fela
December 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I just think that bing is pretty crap. And don't tell me I'm bashing MS because I didn't even know it was made by MS until after I'd started bashing it! The main reasons I despise it are the excruciatingly buggy and slow suggestions mechanism, and the very unrelevant (alot of the time) results. The only thing I prefer about it over google is it's image results 'infinite images' feature. That kicks ***.

What about you?

alphaniner
December 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
The search engine I use is more about habit than anything else. I used to use Altavista and hotbot back in the day. Then I started using Yahoo because I also used Y!mail and TV listings. I eventually switched to Google because it was the homepage of FF, and after a while I got tired of changing it whenever I installed.

chucky chuckaluck
December 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
i like google, and i guess i'm dependent on it. bing is embarrassing garbage.

madnessjack
December 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
You didn't know bing was by MS. Were you living under a rock?

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I used to Lycos, then Yahoo, then Google. I found that the search results became more and more relevant in that order. Google is still the best.

Of course I've never tried Bing. I was never super impressed with MSN search, so I haven't even bothered.

blur xc
December 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I just think that bing is pretty crap. And don't tell me I'm bashing MS because I didn't even know it was made by MS until after I'd started bashing it! The main reasons I despise it are the excruciatingly buggy and slow suggestions mechanism, and the very unrelevant (alot of the time) results. The only thing I prefer about it over google is it's image results 'infinite images' feature. That kicks ***.

What about you?

Everything MS does is a knock off/rehash of what someone else has already done. Even DOS wasn't even their own creation. I don't know if they've ever had an original thought.

BM

coffeeandlinux
December 18th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I stand behind Google. Bing seems over designed to me. I appreciate that Google simply gives you what you type in with out a lot of excess. I particularity like Google's query method. I prefer Google's PageRank where the more a link is accessed the higher the ranking it receives in a query. Bing seems to give more results that deal with business connections.

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM
i like google, and i guess i'm dependent on it. bing is embarrassing garbage.
Actually;

Bing

is

noxious

garbage

mivo
December 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I used to use Google exclusively, but I feel they get a little too omnipresent when it comes to internet data tracking, so I am slowly switching to http://www.ixquick.com/ as my preferred search engine.

I still prefer Google's interface/output, but a little variety can't hurt. :)

Xbehave
December 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
The only thing I prefer about it over google is it's image results 'infinite images' feature. That kicks ***.
http://www.optimizegoogle.com/

Google give me address bar corrections, so i use them for everything else too, seams fair.

lykwydchykyn
December 18th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I can't kick the google habit. I tried switching to scroogle or altavista after hearing some comments google's brass made about privacy, but i couldn't make it stick.

After all these years, google is just how I expect search results to be returned. If it's different it's just disorienting, and I can't be bothered to switch unless there's a very compelling feature.

Frak
December 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Everything MS does is a knock off/rehash of what someone else has already done.

Like?

pwnst*r
December 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
google. only use bing when getting bing cash back (http://www.bing.com/cashback/) on certain items.

blur xc
December 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Like?

uh- Bing, for example? Their map search, w/ aerial views? tabbed browsing? Windows? etc...

BM

Psumi
December 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
AltaVista or ixquick

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM
uh- Bing, for example? Their map search, w/ aerial views? tabbed browsing? Windows? etc...

BM
Or?

Queue29
December 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'll admit, I use Bing. It gives about the same results as google, and is prettier.

Also, Birds-eye-view kicks satellite-view's ***, and is no where near annoying to use as street view.

Psumi
December 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Or?

MSN.com / MSN Explorer

I'm pretty sure AOL/Netscape came first.

speedwell68
December 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Like?

DOS
Windows
Internet Explorer

:D

mivo
December 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM

There were search engines before Google, so by your definition, Google is a rip-off. There were indeed OSes with GUIs before Windows, however, Windows pre-dates the Linux GUIs, so KDE, Gnome, etc. are rip-offs. In fact, Linux is a rip-off of Unix. Chrome uses tabbed browsing, so it's also a rip-off. Actually, Firefox is a rip-off, too, because Mosaic pre-dates both Navigator and Internet Explorer, both browsers that Firefox stole ideas from. :)

brookie
December 19th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Actually;

Bing

is

noxious

garbage

Bing sucks gniB!

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2009, 12:15 AM
MSN.com / MSN Explorer

I'm pretty sure AOL/Netscape came first.

So, if a company releases a product similar to an existing product, it's automatically a ripoff?

Is Pepsi a ripoff of Coca-Cola, too?

aysiu
December 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
When it comes to technology, originality's overrated. What do I care who came up with it first? I care about the implementation and the license. If tabbed browsing is poorly implemented, I will prefer the better tabbed browsing implementation, even if it came second or third. If there's closed source software that had an idea first, and then there is open source software that uses the same idea in a different way, I'll prefer the open source software.

"First" doesn't matter to me.

Marvin666
December 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Bing is ms, and I've had a long vendetta against google due to certain decisions made by the company that runs it.
I use ask jeeves.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM
When it comes to technology, originality's overrated. What do I care who came up with it first? I care about the implementation and the license. If tabbed browsing is poorly implemented, I will prefer the better tabbed browsing implementation, even if it came second or third. If there's closed source software that had an idea first, and then there is open source software that uses the same idea in a different way, I'll prefer the open source software.

"First" doesn't matter to me.
To all of those who answered my questions, implementation will matter more to individuals than "who had it first".

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2009, 12:30 AM
To all of those who answered my questions, implementation will matter more to individuals than "who had it first".

Except for Microsoft, of course. Everyone knows that Microsoft and its products exist in a completely different plane of existence than the rest of the business world.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Except for Microsoft, of course. Everyone knows that Microsoft and its products exist in a completely different plane of existence than the rest of the business world.
Right, always forget that they are the exception.

brian183
December 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Heard this joke from my neighbor.

Bing is like Arby's. You know it exists but you never go there.

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM

I love Arby's. Their french fries are phenomenal.

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM

I love Arby's. Their french fries are phenomenal.

Arby's has good roast beef sandwiches also.

Bing is like Starbucks

Friends don't let friends drink at Starbucks, Friends don't let friends use Bing

RPG Master
December 19th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I friggin' love Cuil :D So much so thats its been my homepage since like the beginning of this year. I know it got allot of bad press in the beginning, and rightly so because back when it first launched it was a complete turd, but now its amazing! :D

Also, they take privacy very seriously, unlike some other search engines...

go check it out: www.cuil.com

pwnst*r
December 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I friggin' love Cuil :D So much so thats its been my homepage since like the beginning of this year. I know it got allot of bad press in the beginning, and rightly so because back when it first launched it was a complete turd, but now its amazing! :D

go check it out: www.cuil.com

no thanks. the first thing it tells me is to connect to facebook.

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Arby's has good roast beef sandwiches also.

Bing is like Starbucks

Friends don't let friends drink at Starbucks, Friends don't let friends use Bing

I like their cranberry orange scones. Oh, and when they have them, I like their zucchini bread. But besides that, the only reason I go there is if it's the only thing available and I want some hot chocolate.

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2009, 12:54 AM

And the results page looks like a blog.

RPG Master
December 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM

It lets you search your friends status message. And its only for your benefit, no one else gains anything from you connecting your facebook with them. And if you don't want to, you just click "don't ask me again" :P

Trust me, they're VERY SERIOUS when it comes to privacy :P

blur xc
December 19th, 2009, 12:59 AM
So, if a company releases a product similar to an existing product, it's automatically a ripoff?

Is Pepsi a ripoff of Coca-Cola, too?

There is a subtle difference-

"If you have to ask, you will never know"...

BM

HappinessNow
December 19th, 2009, 01:01 AM

Is Pepsi a ripoff of Coca-Cola, too?Yes.

Dr.Pepper is superior to both.

fela
December 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
You didn't know bing was by MS. Were you living under a rock?

I'm talking about earlier this year, Q1 spring time.

fela
December 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Everything MS does is a knock off/rehash of what someone else has already done. Even DOS wasn't even their own creation. I don't know if they've ever had an original thought.

BM

You know, you're actually right, unfortunately.

fela
December 19th, 2009, 01:11 AM
http://www.optimizegoogle.com/

Google give me address bar corrections, so i use them for everything else too, seams fair.

I don't use firefox.

fela
December 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
There were search engines before Google, so by your definition, Google is a rip-off. There were indeed OSes with GUIs before Windows, however, Windows pre-dates the Linux GUIs, so KDE, Gnome, etc. are rip-offs. In fact, Linux is a rip-off of Unix. Chrome uses tabbed browsing, so it's also a rip-off. Actually, Firefox is a rip-off, too, because Mosaic pre-dates both Navigator and Internet Explorer, both browsers that Firefox stole ideas from. :)

Now now. Think about what he was actually saying.

By his/her definition, bing is a ripoff because it is SIMILAR to google, not because it is a search engine. Google didn't invent the search engine, as you state.

When did he mention anything about guis?

IE didn't have tabbed browsing until long after firefox came out with it. Google had it from the start as a 'feature that should just exist'.

I don't know enough about firefox to argue on the last point.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Now now. Think about what he was actually saying.

By his/her definition, bing is a ripoff because it is SIMILAR to google, not because it is a search engine. Google didn't invent the search engine, as you state.

When did he mention anything about guis?

IE didn't have tabbed browsing until long after firefox came out with it. Google had it from the start as a 'feature that should just exist'.

I don't know enough about firefox to argue on the last point.

You missed the ENTIRE point. The point was: Be less critical of "who had it first", because that is irrelevant to the usefulness of the tool.

dragos240
December 19th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I use google. I'm used to it. It works.

JDShu
December 19th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It's not a search engine, its a decision engine. Because Microsoft has no faith in us to be able to make decisions ourselves.

Sealbhach
December 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Yes, and they've put themselves there by being the scum of the universe for most of their existence.

They especially need to be called out for their lies when they brag about how innovative they are. Every time someone from micro$hit comes on TV they mention "innovation" at least a couple of times. Truth is they ain't ever innovated s*it.

They're lying scum and they need to be watched constantly, because they can't ever be trusted not to do something sly and dirty.

skipsbro
December 19th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Tried and true Google fan, I've used yahoo and bing but both of their home pages are too busy (have too many freaking pictures, flash, etc) for me to handle. All I want is a search box and possibly a "GO!" button, how is it that Google is the only one to have figured this out?

Zoot7
December 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Google because it works. I've got used to the advanced search commands which lets me fine almost anything I want easily. Don't know or care if Bing has an equivilant ability, just to used to having Google at this stage.

It's not a search engine, its a decision engine. Because Microsoft has no faith in us to be able to make decisions ourselves.
There's only one decision they want you to make and that's to buy Windows, or even better buy Office, or even better still buy the two.

chucky chuckaluck
December 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
i think it's hilarious that anthony bourdain does an ad for bing, but always refers to google on his show. they even use google maps on that show.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Yes, and they've put themselves there by being the scum of the universe for most of their existence.

They especially need to be called out for their lies when they brag about how innovative they are. Every time someone from micro$hit comes on TV they mention "innovation" at least a couple of times. Truth is they ain't ever innovated s*it.

They're lying scum and they need to be watched constantly, because they can't ever be trusted not to do something sly and dirty.

http://i45.tinypic.com/10mvfk6.jpg

Regenweald
December 19th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Without looking at the tool with hate filled glasses, I tried bing and liked it. It's now my home page. I think it's a good tool, could do with some work, but a good tool. The daily fun facts are quite the hit with my sis.

AICollector
December 19th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I started out with MS; Hotmail, and Live search...

Now, I'm with Google.

I get zero spam in my Gmail. I ALWAYS find what I want in the first 3 search entries...and Google ads are actually USEFUL to me.

Oh yeah, Google do a lot of FOSS stuff too.

So Google, please :P

Mike'sHardLinux
December 19th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Just adding my less than .02. I absolutely abhor Bing. I have to click on several links over several pages to actually get to the destination. WTF?!!!!

Psumi
December 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I started out with MS; Hotmail, and Live search...

Now, I'm with Google.

I get zero spam in my Gmail. I ALWAYS find what I want in the first 3 search entries...and Google ads are actually USEFUL to me.

Oh yeah, Google do a lot of FOSS stuff too.

So Google, please :P

Same here, only...

1. I get some spam in my inbox randomly during the year.

2. I usually can't find what I'm looking for within the first ten pages of a specific google search (especially for linux distro support.)

Dr. C
December 19th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Voted for Google. When will using a Microsoft OS and a Microsoft browser I will, as a matter of principle, refuse to use a Microsoft search engine. On the other hand since switching to Ubuntu 3.5 years a ago I will use Bing/Live/MSN on occasion.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Ixquick: the search engine for people concerned about their privacy on the Internet.

toupeiro
December 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Googler here.

Why don't I use bing? Simple. I have no reason to. Google gives me everything I want out of a search engine, and has for a long, long time. Bing may be great now, but because google has always been great, I will stay right where I am.

Frak
December 19th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Googler here.

Why don't I use bing? Simple. I have no reason to. Google gives me everything I want out of a search engine, and has for a long, long time. Bing may be great now, but because google has always been great, I will stay right where I am.
Good response is good.

KiwiNZ
December 19th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I have been using Bing of late as I have had some issues with Google , especially searching images, it can take an eternity for the thumbnails to load.

After changing the search engine to Bing I forget to change back to Google so it tends to stay there until I get the need to change back to Google.

Jackelope
December 19th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I like charity search engines, myself. I found one running google so it's the best of both worlds now.