PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing after windows 7

deeppow
December 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Have just changed from XP to Windows 7 and decided to reinstall Ubuntu 9.10 (64bit) as a dual boot. Popped the CD containing the iso and selected install --- after awhile, got all kinda errors streaming across the screen. Guess the CD could have gone bad but it is the same one I've used previously to install a dual boot with XP.

Anything special about installing after Windows 7?

phillw
December 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi,
Chances are, Win7 has used all of your disk area & you're going to have to use the Win7 partition manager to free up some space for your Ubuntu Area.

If you boot off the liveCD, drop to terminal and type

sudo fdisk -l

That'll tell you if you have any linux area(s) left.

If, as I suspect, you haven't - then just make some room - no need to allocate it, from within Win. Make sure Win boots happily. Then do the install from the LiveCD telling it to use the free space to install upon.

Phill

darkod
December 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Have just changed from XP to Windows 7 and decided to reinstall Ubuntu 9.10 (64bit) as a dual boot. Popped the CD containing the iso and selected install --- after awhile, got all kinda errors streaming across the screen. Guess the CD could have gone bad but it is the same one I've used previously to install a dual boot with XP.

Nothing really. I just started using ubuntu with the 9.10 version, never even installed it before, and it worked right away dual booting with win7 on both my netbook and desktop.
You might be right the cd going bad even if it's the same one. How about the cd drive going bad?

OrangeCrate
December 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Use these instructions, and you should be fine...

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic#Dual-Booting_Windows_and_Ubuntu

deeppow
December 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
A lot of free space available.

I'll remake the CD and see if that'll solve the problem.

phillw
December 18th, 2009, 11:38 PM
A lot of free space available.

I'll remake the CD and see if that'll solve the problem.

Free, as in unallocated - or free as in unused ?
There is a small but very important difference between them.

Phill.

avtolle
December 18th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Free, as in unallocated - or free as in unused ?
There is a small but very important difference between them.

Phill.
+1

Also, it occurs to me to ask where the free space exists; within the Windows7 partition or outside it?

deeppow
December 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM
unallocated 197 GB

deeppow
December 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Looks like a bad CD. Thanks for your replies and sorry for the inconvenience.