PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Upgrading Past 8.04 Hardy Heron Removes Temperature from Gnome Clock

DjTeriyake
December 18th, 2009, 10:28 PM
When I upgraded from 8.04 Hardy Heron to 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope a few months back I recall that it removed the temperature from my Gnome clock applet in the top-right side of the screen next to my username. I didn't think much of it as I installed Screenlets and ran ClearWeather. I was hoping the upgrade to 9.10 Karmic Koala would resolve this issue, but it didn't. Again, no big deal since I'm running Screenlets.

Today I just booted into an old computer of mine that still has 8.04 Hardy installed, and in the top-right there it is, the old working temperature, reminding me that all was well back in Hardy.

I've attached some screenshots to show the differences. Both versions show the correct icon for the weather, but whereas 8.04 Hardy shows the temperature, 9.10 Karmic shows blank dashes (--). Both locations are the same and are set as "Home." In configuring both versions of the applet they both predict my hometown correctly, both are set to display in Fahrenheit, both have the same timezone, etc. Everything's the same, but 9.10 Karmic refuses to show the temperature.

What's going on, and is there a fix? At times I get tired of Screenlets and turn them off so it would be nice to be able to have a quick peek at the temperature now and again. On the plus side, it's 72° in the middle of December here in southern California 8-).

8.04 Hardy Weather
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/pauljohnb/Ubuntu-804-Jaunty-Weather.jpg

9.10 Karmic Weather
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/pauljohnb/Ubuntu-910-Karmic-Weather.jpg

phillw
December 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hi,

You must click on the top menu bar and choose Add to panel. Then choose Weather Report .
Done :smile:

There,s quite a list of things you can add !!!!!

I've just added it To my test 10.04 install - so it should be working in 9.10 :-)

Regards,

Phill.

DjTeriyake
December 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi,

There,s quite a list of things you can add !!!!!

I've just added it To my test 10.04 install - so it should be working in 9.10 :-)

Regards,

Phill.

Thanks Phill, but that's not working either. It shows 0° initially, then when I choose to update it shows the two dashes just like in the screenshot. To reiterate the weather is working fine, even when I mousover it shows the clouds, the wind, and sunrise/sunset. It's just the temperature that's not working. Upon mouseover the temperature is listed as "Unknown."

phillw
December 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Right Click the Temperature, Select Preferences, Then the Location Tab to select the area you want.

Odd, mine is working fine - Shows Dark, a little cloud and -4 C (It's a bit cold here in the UK !!)

Phill.

DjTeriyake
December 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Still no dice. The Location tabs on both applets are set to the same location, and both applets show the correct icon for the weather, just nothing for the temperature.

Here's a screenshot of the second weather applet running and its info. It looks like it's not retrieving the weather data properly:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/pauljohnb/Ubuntu-910-Karmic-Weather-Applet.jpg

DjTeriyake
December 24th, 2009, 11:39 PM
OK, weird stuff going on here now. I started searching and digging for the problem, reading the myriad links on the Gnome weather bugs, etc. and I think the problem lies in the Locations.xml file that gweather uses. I think it's using the wrong zcode/airport data but I'm not sure. I'm mostly using the following link since it's the exact problem that I have:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgweather/+bug/404616

Now, back in 8.04 Harday, I was messing around with the clock and weather config and here's what I've come up with:

- The Gnome clock doesn't automagically predict my home town, so if I put in the latitude and longitude the weather icon is correct and the temperature works.
- The standalone weather applet doesn't predict my home town either, nor is it in the list of cities, nor can you input your own latitude and longitude. The only thing you can do is choose the city closest to you. If I do that, the weather icon is correct but the temperature is blank.

This tells me that the two applets, though similar in function, are using different methods to access the weather. Since the clock was accessing the weather correctly, I was hoping I could switch over to Karmic and enter my own custom latitude and longitude into and the weather would work. No dice.

Now I'm hoping I can find the config file for the 8.04 Hardy clock and manually copy the settings over to my 9.04 Karmic box. That's where I'm at now...

DjTeriyake
December 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM
The following screenshot is what I was talking about in 8.04 Hardy Heron. The clock applet gives the correct weather icon and temperature if I put in a custom location via latitude and longitude. The standalone weather applet does not have a custom location, so you have to choose the closest city, and it give a blank temperature. My next move is to copy the configuration for the 8.04 Hardy clock into the 9.10 Karmic so that hopefully the new clock will give the correct temperature:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/pauljohnb/Ubuntu-Linux-804-Hardy-Clock-vs-Wea.jpg

s7726
May 5th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I have been seeing this issue ever since I updated from 8.04 (I've gone all the way up the chain, on 10.04 now). I have noticed that it will *sometimes* display the temperature late at night (not sure why that would have an affect.

But as the original poster is seeing I get the weather icon and the '--' and 'unknown' for the temperature.

DjTeriyake
May 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I have been seeing this issue ever since I updated from 8.04 (I've gone all the way up the chain, on 10.04 now). I have noticed that it will *sometimes* display the temperature late at night (not sure why that would have an affect.

But as the original poster is seeing I get the weather icon and the '--' and 'unknown' for the temperature.

I just did upgraded to 10.04 Lucid Lynx via a clean install, and the problem is still there. You're luckier than I, because mine will still *never* display the temperature. I hope this gets fixed, but in the meantime I'll still poke around the xml config file.

olayak
May 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
mine worked fine in karmic and has totally disappeared in lynx. not even dashes! I am in New York City, so I don't see why it should have a problem. It registers the location, but no weather or temperature!